Unite?

LordLucas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 13, 2003
Well as i read the thread about JOB being dead and mir3 privet servers in general. As i can see the community of mir 3 is about 100 people playing with like 5 or so servers spread around. Well why don't all the main servers like olymp ,gamerz, notmeagain's server etc. All come toughter and sort of make a huge server where everyone could play and have a really cool community with lots of players. All the best teams could work toughter and updates would be flying fast. This is probobly impossible because people are going to be stuborn but I think you guys could give it a try. Post your thoughts on this guys.

NotMeAgainAgain

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 29, 2004
LordLucas said:
Well as i read the thread about JOB being dead and mir3 privet servers in general. As i can see the community of mir 3 is about 100 people playing with like 5 or so servers spread around. Well why don't all the main servers like olymp ,gamerz, notmeagain's server etc. All come toughter and sort of make a huge server where everyone could play and have a really cool community with lots of players. All the best teams could work toughter and updates would be flying fast. This is probobly impossible because people are going to be stuborn but I think you guys could give it a try. Post your thoughts on this guys.
Personally i agree, a combination of all the servers would be great, but then you have things like 10x exp/5xweap leveling and stupidly high stat this that and the other, and some players prefer those types of servers to my ideal server (Long term low exp (2-3x))
So you need to find a compromise, and that at the moment is to have a choice of servers, so that the player can decide what he wants to do.
Heck i have over 300 users that play, (Not including deleted users) so i must be doing somethings right, but i seemed to have lost them lately due to my sporadic uptimes heh!
Come Back! :P

Nice idea, but i don't see it happening any time soon

LordLucas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 13, 2003
Well you could make it 2 servers one wheres its 4/5 exp and other wheres its 10xs with high stats and crap.

NotMeAgainAgain

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 29, 2004
LordLucas said:
Well you could make it 2 servers one wheres its 4/5 exp and other wheres its 10xs with high stats and crap.

But then most users (nooby ones) would just hop onto the 10x server, its a known fact that most people don't want to work for the things in a game, they want it ASAP.
IT IS A GOOD IDEA though, caps :P

LordLucas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 13, 2003
Yea well can't call everyone nooby I was really pissed when I made 43 on a 4xs exp and they just stoped server and this would last for good because this would be the one server that wouldnt die because there would be 100% best support gm acctivety and hosting + all the other good stuff lets see what you other guys think. :eaterrow: :no:

denun

LOMCN n00bie
May 5, 2003
LordLucas said:
i agree :D

it's what i suggest in the post u mentioned :), i really hope so :)

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Well lets chuck a couple of spanners in those works If I may :)

Most people hosting a server have I am guessing 256K Upload, now not sure about JOB but 2.9 was about 80 or so max people online at any one time. Now lets imagine for a tick there was say One server - would not take long to max that connection out and thus get Lag - plsu dont forget your also putting all your eggs into one Basket so to speak as the one person hosting it might get sick and thus close down...

Now dont get me wrong - I'm pretty sure there is ebough people out there period that will play MIR3 JOB, for example DragonNet when it was around had a fair few on to say the least and so did Camelot (50+ online most time easy).

What is needed tbh, if it was possible, is something like what RageZone have done with Soma, instead of hosting the server ona home pc with limited connection, get a proper connection (100 mbit etc) with some serious hardware - so that even if 500 people played, it would not be a problem. Now of course there is a slight problem with this....... A Private server with like 20-30 online is a mere blip on the radar for Euromir3 people and 9/10 they wont do didly sqaut to be honest about that said server. I think it might be a different matter if a private server hosting 500+ a day goes online.

5 servers online is not a great deal, in the day of 2.9 if one server online could command 50+ easy average online plus 20-30 on the others (and there was a fair few) then no reason why 5 servers cannot live quite happily. In my Anology of servers, I came to this conclusion...

No matter how many bugs the servers has, no matter that you dont ever see the host Online nor he posts replies to problems in the forums, people still come and play, the longer it stays up, the more people come. The more people that keep coming, the more it attracts (chicken and egg this -- lol).. btw - i was reffering to DragonNet of old in that statement..

TritoN

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 21, 2003
i always encouraged people with good ideas but no possibilities to serioulsy host to join Olymp team...we got the nessesary hosting and hardware stuff to support a large palyerbase (100MBit con etc...)
the latest bigger merging was with empire mir3 (old 2.9 mir3) which turned out quite good and 1 person of the empire team still working with us
also we have good relations to THE other serious run mir3 server (call it a strategic alliance lol) with sharing all stuff and helping each other.

the problem with sharing here is that every single noob (sorry but its the case in 90%) grabs the stuff and thinks he can put up the hell of a mir3 server on his crap home connection then making a promising adverticement here..distracting a few players and then in the end closing the server down after lets say 2 months max, leaving peeps behind thinking mir3 server r crap and so on
this is ruining mir3!
my opinion is mir3 pserver should be worked on in real organised projects only which r persistant and peeps who just want to test should run their mir3 server only in lan or on single pc for the better of all

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
We will probably end off a bit like China no doubt, there is servers by the bucket load over there, they have 10/100mbit connection anyhow (inside china its good speed anyhow - but outside its slower than 56k modem) and they "fight" as it were to provide stuff that other dont have - such as some are running with all 13 magics in place and loads of other stuff.

If We take Ragezone as probably the best Example with there Soma Server, they found, sorted and provided a server - not a single file to man nor beast (which is very good thing in my eyes) - the same can happen here if you like with MIR3 (sort of anyhow) - but then that takes away the fuction of the forum, to provide Help and advice for people setting up a Server.

The problem on the whole with MIR Servers is thus:

The files and instruction are readily available along with at least 2 forums that give you help every step of the way even if you struggle to switch on a pc - with enough reading anyone could in fact set up a server. This in turn means every day by the looks of it (mir2 anyhow) another servers comes online, another goes offline.

The question is - how do you manage this sort of thing? Well instead of a forum post for new servers, what about what they did with WoW servers? A Live script that checks the server and shows it status, maybe with some fancy code that says if the server is offline for 7 days, it gets removed from the list. At least with something like that in place - people could at least find a server thats live rather than trawl though the posts on here.

Next problem though (not easy to solve) is playing on a server that goes down in 6 months time? You could say that you wasted 6 months of your time playing on that server but I disagree to be honest. Private servers Provide a means to play a game which normally costs you money for free - why should they promise to stay up for the next 10 years? If you played a server on lets say 3-5x exp than if you lasted 6 months you shoudl have got to a high-ish level and experiecned the game yes?

Anyhow - its a no-win situation to be honest - you want a server that has 100+ people online and will be online for the next 2 years plus but your not prepared to help the host of these servers to help pay for it - costs which def are there no matter which way you look at it.

Oh well - roll on Wool Server files :)

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Demonic said:
Oh well - roll on Wool Server files :)

Which woool u talking about? Shanda's 2d version or the 3d version S3D?

And the only files ive seen for em was a very very incomplete emulator that allowed people to walk around

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
S3D Hes On About Prob Cos I Have a copy aswell not emu server files any way i think it would be good to get all people togther but aint gnna happen

$tealth

LOMCN Member
Feb 28, 2004
To be hoist i think it would be a bad idea and it would not last long just look at it from the other side there will be more fighting a falling out other stuff and all that lot then there will be people that will try and take down the server becasue that it is something that thay dont want and there is all ways a gm that will mess things up like give a member a item or keep pking people just think about it in that way the only thing that will be better is that there will be more players and there will be more stuff

TritoN

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 21, 2003
the suprprising (or not) thing is: actualy content players r willing to donate some money for a good service as it is happening on Olymp...we were able to purchose state of the art hardware from donated money which will enable us to go for at least another year (making it 3 then)
so in my opinion it does make sense to concentrate on only a few mir3 projects and the most important to keep the community as close together as it is possible to get the most out of it in the end

all those little short time servers only makes the live of serious players and hosts much harder imo

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
What Im Thinking Is Getting The Big People Toghter And Running A Server As he Community Would Be Great If You Rember RageZone Mir2 That Owned Every One Else Even Tho There Was Others Up With high Xp i thik it would be great if 2-4 Other Creators Came And Made A EI Server

denun

LOMCN n00bie
May 5, 2003
for my personal idea (i'd like to say it only like a simple game player) there is no reason that ALL server merge togheter.

there is no reason that exists server with 5/10 ppl inside.

there is no reason that i pay (few money, sure) for a private server, or i'll pay the official one.

i don't think we have to build a giant server using stratospheric line connection, bcose if it's, u'r just creating another official server, not less. but less u have no right to do it.
i think that private server must be private server, some1 that for fun or for study or other reason, set up a server in his home, play in his own server and share the fun with other ppl that wants to play at same game.

What i think should be possible is to create few major server, all server that has 20 ppl inside could be merge togheter, other server that counts 100 ppl don't, why they have to do this?

doing that is a strategy that let you improve ur quality at less money, infact u can split server: at my home i have some part of the game, at ur another parts and so on.
it's mean = minor lag, less hardware cost, more probability to stay 100% online, minor work time for each administrator.

EvilEvil

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 22, 2003
ok lets plan this
Host: Ill host
2nd Day: Host goes down
2nd Host: urm lagggg
3rd Host: yay server up
GM: EVENT
GM2: CORRUPTION
SERVER GOES DOWN
PLAYERS LEAVE
COMPLAINTS
No more servers.

yer i agree we should all team up.....

LordLucas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 13, 2003
:whips: :whips: :box: I was just apeculating... :cwoah: :eaterrow:

TritoN

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 21, 2003
i dont think this is getting somewhere here...so nothin will be changed and we have to cope with the occasinaly small server setup only for the reason to impress other peeps with gm powers or such and with an uptime of max 2 months..which in the end will scare away people from playing mir3 (official or private lol)
imo hosts of MMORPG server (private or not) have a bit of responsibility for their players who invests time and effort into their chars and dont deserve to get thrown away just because a host gets bored, out of money or something like that

all i want to say is: pls if u realy want to put up a mmorpg server privately pls consider if u realy got the time and resources to do it seriously ..if not just put up on lan and play with a few friends who knows what u r up to
pls dont make any little mir3 server copy public just because u got it runnin!