War of the Worlds (Spoilers) REVIEW (long)

What What What

You know, I've done some stupid things in my life like grabbing the lit end of a sparkler, biting a dog's tongue, jumping off a roof with an umbrella, etc, but one of the DUMBEST ass things I've done in a looong time was paying good hard earned money to see War of the ****ing Worlds.
**** it all to hell! I was never a Tom Cruise fan, but I've always respected Speilberg's work, so I thought it would even things out. WRONG.
Anyway, Tom plays some jerk off dock worker who is stuck babysitting his annoying ****ing kids while his **** of a wife goes off and parties with her rich new husband (did I mention she was knocked up with the rich new husband's yuppie spawn?)
So now Cruise is living with his damn kids he never wanted in the first place and I don't ****ing blame him. You've got some angst ridden asshole of a son who ends up stealing his car and some annoying spoiled vegan ****head of a daughter whom I really wanted to kick in the chops. Cruise is no prize either, in fact, all these characters are unlikable as hell and that's really a bad thing because we're supposed to care about them later on in the movie.

Anyhoo, poor pussy whipped emasculated Tom is stuck with his worthless kids who hate his guts, how could this day get any worse? How about a contrived alien invasion? Well this is called War of the Worlds and not Kramer verse Kramer 2 As you know this is about aliens coming down to Earth and ****ing everything up for no good reason. Supposedly, these critters have been studying earth for millions of ****ing years and for some reason choose the 21st century to start the invasion by jumping inside this huge clunky stupid looking machines, via lightening that were buried deep underground millions of years ago. Sure, that makes ****ing sense. Anyway, after some goofy lightening light show, that knocks out all electronic devices, the whole town decides to investigate a giant crater in the middle of the street. Eventually the crater gets bigger and bigger, knocking over building and swallowing cars, but do the town folk run away in terror, hell no, they stick around and investigate some more. Suddenly one of the cars that was swallowed by the sinkhole and thrown out hundreds of feet in the air and nearly lands on several people. Do the towns folk run away in terror? Hell no, they investigate some more. Then a GIANT ****ing spider leg shoots out of the hole and crushes a nearby car. Do the towns folk run away in terror? Hell no, you guessed it, they stick around and investigate some MORE. These dumb mother ****ers keep sticking around until the big giant goofy machine starts to ****ing VAPORIZE the dumb asses, but some of them had to think about it first.

Of course Cruise reminds us that he's the star of the movie because he never gets touched, despite people RIGHT BESIDE him are literally getting dusted and he manages to out run ****ing lasers and explosions like a world class olympic sprinter! Eventually he gathers up his bratty kids who hate his guts and plans on getting the **** outta Dodge.
But how can they get out when none of the cars work? That's okay, they have SUPER MINI VAN which works just fine after getting a new solonoid, but before any of us have time to figure out the logic in this revelation, the big goofy aliens suddenly appear and start blowing **** up with pretty lights and fancy explosions, in hopes of distracting us from this one of many glaring holes. Anyway, Cruise and the gang make it out while the ****ing little girl is screaming her ****ing head off! I swear that little ***** needed a kick in the jaw.

Eventually they make it to the rich stepfather's house, but before they can make themselves comfy, a plane falls on it. The entire neighborhood is destroyed except SUPER MINI VAN which doesn't even have a ****ing scratch! After some more screaming and yelling with the ****ing kids, the go off on their merry way.

They eventually make it to the ferry, but their van gets jacked by some crazy mob and now they have to walk to the ferry. They manage to get on and they're on their way to Boston until BOO! The big clunky goofy aliens show up and start blowing **** up for no good reason again! Panic ensues, people get killed, boat gets sunk, blah blah blah, but big surprise, not only is Cruise a world class sprinter, but now he's a world class swimmer as well as he drags his ****ty kids to safety. They eventually stumble upon some huge battle between the military and the aliens. One thing I couldn't help but notice was that civilians were running TO the battle site to investigate. What the **** is wrong with these people? You do NOT run TOWARD a major military engagement, but these dumb asses did. A friend of mine asked me where all the black people were, I told him that they were running AWAY offscreen since no self respecting black person would do something so stupid. Anyway, the annoying son is one of these dumbasses as he charges into the battle UNARMED just in time to get caught in a massive explosion as Cruise looks on in terror, or is it glee? One down, one to go.

So the goofy clunky machines continue killing people, but Cruise and the freaked out daughter find "safety" with some paranoid nut case. Eventually the aliens come a knockin' on the door and suddenly we're in the movie Signs as Cruise and crew narrowly escape the "evil" aliens who look like giant weird looking crickets that were sooo advanced and studied everything about us for millions of years, yet they didn't know what a bicycle was. Ookay. Paranoid dude freaks out when he sees that the aliens harvest blood and **** it all over the place to grow this weird looking vines. Cruise has to man up and kill him to save his daughter. Lot of good that did because the little **** gets captured anyway, but super Cruise manages to save her by blowing up the machine with a couple of grenades. hooray.

So now he and his ****ty daughter are walking to Boston and when they get there, they find out that all the machines have suddenly fallen down and the aliens have mysteriously died because of bacteria and ****. Your'e telling me that they studied this planet for millions of years yet they didn't see that the very atmosphere was lethal to them? Yeah, I know the original movie ended the same way, but those aliens were just passing through when they decided to invade, these aliens had MILLIONS of years to study everything about the Earth before invading. What the **** ever.

Anyway Cruise and ****ty daughter make it to the mother and the grandparents' house which was in the middle of a neighborhood that seems to have made it unscratched. Hell, it looked like his ex wife, yuppie husband and her parents looked healthy, well fed and just got out of the spa while Tom looked like he'd gone through hell and back.
Oh yeah, the dumb ****head of a son was WAITING for them there. That's right, he survived the mini nuclear explosion and actually beat Tom and his sis to Boston. sigh... at this point of the movie, I was just glad that the pain is over and was thinking about the closest way to the bus stop.

THE END.

Last edited:

Soul

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 23, 2003
Suffolk, England
Not much swearing in your review I see : I haven't seen the film myself yet, Just downloaded it. Meh hope it isn't as bad as you say it is ;o I shall see...

FUTURA

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 25, 2003
DXB
IT was crap. cba to read all that vann, but im sure it mentions the dudes video camera working when all electrical items are meant to be fried, or how he manages to take two grenades out of a pouch and pull the pin on both while being eaten by a asshole looking alien side-of-body butt sucking thing.

EDIT - LOLLLLLL I read your review vann THAT **** IS FUNNY AHAHA!

I recommend if you've seen the film to read that ^^^ its damn funny! :ppunk:

Last edited:

Solitude

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 22, 2003
South Wales
Because your review was so hilarious. I'll have to dignify it by going to watch the film (only because the missus is gagging to see it(the film, you sick people)).

--Solitude--

anto

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Feb 18, 2005
It diddn't even explain why they came to earth, but i've read the book so i already know.

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
A lot of movies are unlike real life, a list of examples would take too much time.

But you watch them for entertainment, not to nit-pick at parts that are wrong by real life standards, or to moan... just for the fun of it. Even looking at your review... It sounds a brilliant film, and I’ll have to watch it, as I don't honestly care if it doesn't comply with documentary standards.

No offence Van, you're kr3w, but that wasn't.

FUTURA

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 25, 2003
DXB
Sawell said:
A lot of movies are unlike real life, a list of examples would take too much time.

Yea...it's called Bollywood. And when a film is set in real life, people would prefer for the stuff to be realistic otherwise it's just random, ya know?

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
FUTURA said:
Yea...it's called Bollywood. And when a film is set in real life, people would prefer for the stuff to be realistic otherwise it's just random, ya know?

How do you mean 'set in real life'? With that statement I could pretty much diss WotW because aliens have never been around killing loads of people in America?

Floyd

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2004
lol vann, made me laff most the way threw that, i saw it 2nite n didnt thnk it was tht good as every1 made out.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Vans right it really was terrible (even though it was an unbalanced review). It didn't even really explain why they were here like the original did, and I really didn't like how the entire movie was based around people running away from the aliens. At least in the original there was some science blabble about trying to defeat them. The major problem with Spiels interpretation of the stroy is the whole millions of years concept.

Why does an alien race (in the original they came from mars yea?), plant some crap long before we exist then randomly decide to take us over in the 21st century. They've had millions of years to advance they're bio****e techno but they still have to use million year old mechas to blast the place to human putty. Surely such a race could do it from orbit instead. (Unless they're some sort of rebble group which the other aliens don't agree with or something). Then they die, and in this movie it isn't explained why (original: common cold), leading to furthur confusion and dissatisfaction with the movie. You'd think their 1milllion year old tech might have helped them out there, but nah.

One thing that neither the movie, series or original ever explained is what happens when the folks back home find out? ;)

Nd I agree a movie is there to be enjoyed, but some people can't just enjoy a movie purely on graphical effect, which essentially is all WotW was. I've come to expect a lot more from SS, and this was a step backwards. The only good thing was the acting from the little girl, she was brilliant. Think I've seen her in another film, Man on Fire?

/Leo

NiGHTMaRe

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 1, 2003
lol
thats a gd review there should b more liek that, u really ment what u said, or @ least i hope u did :| nevertheless it made me laugh :D and id hire u as a reviewer guy :P

What What What

to be fair, in order for EMP to fry electrical equipment, the power needs to be on, so it is acceptable for the guys camcorder to be working.

some more key features of the movie summed up:

"hmm, big spidermech just came out of the ground. buildings are falling around me. instead of running to see if my kids are ok i'm going to stay here and see what happens"
"everyone's being killed, come on, let's go to your mums house and make sammiches"
"hey! you two in specific! I'm a fat creepy europian guy with a shotgun that reminds most people of Father Gregori, come to my place"
"hey uh, you gave me and my daughter food and shelter, so i'm not gonna let you do what you want and respect you and instead i'm going to kill you for talking"
"LOOKY HERE, I found a ****ing belt of hand grenades as soon as the spidermech gets near me"
"you got our kids through an alien invasion of giant tripods with lasers. thanks. i'm still with tim though"

:tard:

Soul

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 23, 2003
Suffolk, England
What What What said:
to be fair, in order for EMP to fry electrical equipment, the power needs to be on, so it is acceptable for the guys camcorder to be working.

some more key features of the movie summed up:

"hmm, big spidermech just came out of the ground. buildings are falling around me. instead of running to see if my kids are ok i'm going to stay here and see what happens"
"everyone's being killed, come on, let's go to your mums house and make sammiches"
"hey! you two in specific! I'm a fat creepy europian guy with a shotgun that reminds most people of Father Gregori, come to my place"
"hey uh, you gave me and my daughter food and shelter, so i'm not gonna let you do what you want and respect you and instead i'm going to kill you for talking"
"LOOKY HERE, I found a ****ing belt of hand grenades as soon as the spidermech gets near me"
"you got our kids through an alien invasion of giant tripods with lasers. thanks. i'm still with tim though"

:tard:

Roffle so true, after seeing the film (after reading your review) cracked me up when the parts came what you said about. So flawed. ungrateful ***** staying with Tim tbh after all that. and lawl at the fat guy dieing.

Nice Post Count ^_^

Dark12345

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 4, 2004
Portsmouth
i saw War of the worlds wen it came out its a great film
i reccomend u watch :D
Freakin loud film tho , or tht was cus i got stuck at front row seats -.-