What do you work as?

smoochy boys on tour

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
Get into something like what? Doing a Business Admin NVQ or the job I'm doing?

I started as an apprentice at 16 getting paid £60 a week to do an NVQ, crap money but at that age I didnt need loads. Once I passed that i got a simple admin job for the company I work at now ,which is a training company. They offered to put me through a Level3 NVQ for free.
I then just pushed my way into the IT Team at the company by constantly showing an interest and getting as much knowledge on the systems we used.

How long did it take to pass and start getting paid properly for it?

mapadale

If you know what you are doing with IT, you can walk into a £14,500 - £17,000 job as first line support and then work from there to get further.

I started as a Hardware Engineer for DSGi, working for the Tech Guys and then progresed from there to the current position that I am. A lot of the companys now are looking for experience as well as qaulifications.

You can do the A+/N+ or the MCDST in your own time and pace and pass within 3/6 month. Most companys will take on a MCDST engineer at a base rate of usually around 14k and then work up from there.

ρяєα¢нєя

Unstookie Titled
VIP
Aug 19, 2008
I move to bournemouth in september, finally be able to get away from these jobs.

Hate to say it but i've lived in Bournemouth for the last 5 years (At uni there) and the people that go out there are some of the biggest penises i've ever met. A lot of posh-up-themselves types.

Bar that though it is a good night out. :P

Ontopic: Still at Uni at them moment. Currently doing my disertation, would like to get into web design afterwards if i can.

p

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
All depends on how quickly you get it done tbh.

Our company give you 18months I think it is, but thats just a "planned" date for them to get the funding. You could do it in about 6months.

But it also all depends on how much you get visited by your assessor

Are you living in the UK Tai, as at onetime you said you was in Aus?

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
If you know what you are doing with IT, you can walk into a £14,500 - £17,000 job as first line support and then work from there to get further.

I started as a Hardware Engineer for DSGi, working for the Tech Guys and then progresed from there to the current position that I am. A lot of the companys now are looking for experience as well as qaulifications.

You can do the A+/N+ or the MCDST in your own time and pace and pass within 3/6 month. Most companys will take on a MCDST engineer at a base rate of usually around 14k and then work up from there.

The majority of that means absolutely nothing to me. When you say "If you know what you are doing with IT", what kind of stuff are we talking?

All depends on how quickly you get it done tbh.

Our company give you 18months I think it is, but thats just a "planned" date for them to get the funding. You could do it in about 6months.

But it also all depends on how much you get visited by your assessor

Are you living in the UK Tai, as at onetime you said you was in Aus?

Hmm I'm too old to set aside 6-18months to learn something on tuppence per week. :/ It's alright when you're 16-18. I'd rather start at the bottom somewhere and work my way up, but still on an acceptable salary... but that's easier said than done.

Yeah I'm back in the UK now, unfortunately :( I was on £10 an hour just working in bars over there lol, which is mainly why I gave it up when I came back here...minimum wage was just too much difference.

Last edited:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
The majority of that means absolutely nothing to me. When you say "If you know what you are doing with IT", what kind of stuff are we talking?

Hmm I'm too old to set aside 6-18months to learn something on tuppence per week. :/ It's alright when you're 16-18. I'd rather start at the bottom somewhere and work my way up, but still on an acceptable salary... but that's easier said than done.

Yeah I'm back in the UK now, unfortunately :(

How old are you, about 20?

Best thing to do it try get a basic admin job in an office, join agencys tell them you want to move into office work they will probably find you temp jobs, but if you do well sometimes they will employ you full time.
Once you have a perm job somewhere on a standard £13-14k wage mention to them about possibly doing an NVQ. If they agree to it (It's no cost to them btw) get in touch with training companys, www.intraining.co.uk (The company i work for ;))

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
How old are you, about 20?

Best thing to do it try get a basic admin job in an office, join agencys tell them you want to move into office work they will probably find you temp jobs, but if you do well sometimes they will employ you full time.
Once you have a perm job somewhere on a standard £13-14k wage mention to them about possibly doing an NVQ. If they agree to it (It's no cost to them btw) get in touch with training companys, www.intraining.co.uk (The company i work for ;))

Ye 21 in May.

That's actually what I'm trying to do now, and what I was trying to do before I moved to Aus... I think I only had 1 interview then and my main problem was the "why do you want to work here?" type questions... I never know what to say tbh..."yar i like filing n stuff"?? lol. Obviously the truth being I just need it as a stepping stone, but if you say that don't they get all defensive and think you have no intentions of sticking around?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Just say your wanting to move into office work as a change of career and your willing to learn.
Let them know you want to just get your foot in the door and work your way up, but say it in a way you want to do this with their company, that way they will think your serious about the job and company.

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
RAF CIS OM anything from setting up radars/radios to designing the software for the tornados. Am currently working on computer side doing my ccna sms server and exchange, so can polish my network admin skills.

mapadale

Yeah I'm back in the UK now, unfortunately :( I was on £10 an hour just working in bars over there lol, which is mainly why I gave it up when I came back here...minimum wage was just too much difference.
21 is not to old to retrain and learn, I started in the IT industry at 24/25 and worked my way up by learning on the job. But I was lucky to actually get into a job and go that route, the best way to get any sort of qaulification to get your foot in the door is to self study IE: MCDST or A+/N+ By the book/s and read them, the exams cost around £80/£90 and you learn in your own time.

Getting into IT now is a lot harder than what it was 5/10 years ago, you need to have at least some knowledge of the role you are wanting to do. IE: How to support microsoft products.

hellcaster

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 24, 2005
dont work yet but just finished a course and got A+ and MCDST qualifications and looking for a 1st line support job =p

Lang

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 16, 2004
Im 23, working in an office at the moment as Office Manager but do jack **** tbh, what qualifications do you need to start off with to get into working with computers? the technical sides of it.

/Mackem

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Im 23, working in an office at the moment as Office Manager but do jack **** tbh, what qualifications do you need to start off with to get into working with computers? the technical sides of it.

/Mackem

A+ is the best way to start, then MCDST.

I have no IT Qualifications :cool1:

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
As it has been said I got in to ICT by helping out at previous jobs where I had say an Admin Manager roll, I would tech support the guys in the office I worked on and I could put that on my CV as a list of what I did, then my next job wanted me to do a mix of what ever the roll was and tech support (on a low level.) I then applied for a pure helpdesk roll (after undergoing a few Microsoft Certs - not completing just under going them ) that roll was more 1st line/2nd line than help desk. I then moved on to another company where I am now in to 2nd/3rd line and it's great. They have their own big server team, their own implementation team, their own dev house and many other ICT avenues I could venture down which is good.

So in short...
Start doing help desk, logging calls etc and progress from there.

Hastelloy

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 11, 2006
Stone, UK

/Mackem

1 post in 6 almost 6 years :blink:

on topic,

19, work as a Cashier/Porter/Multi-skilled operative at WM Morrisons :001_cool:, until i finish my Business Management Degree next year.

Stepdad is a Business Director for the England side of a computer consultancy company so possibly follow in his footsteps at some point at this stage im unsure which direction to go, not too fussed though would rather get my degree out of the way then look at my options :001_unsure:

-J

mapadale

What the funk is A+ and MCDST xD

It's Mackem, guess that's just a spare account he's using
If you have no idea what the A+ or MCDST is, then unfortuantly your not going to get anywhere in the IT industry. Best look fo a job in another sector Tai.....