Which language?

smoochy boys on tour

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
As a summer project, and something ive been meaning to do for a while, i've decided that i would like to start learning a programming language. But before i go blazing ahead, i'd like some background infomation, in order to find which language will suite the work i do.

Firstly i'd like to know which language you think is most progressive, and which will be most successful in the near fututure.

I like the idea of writing new programs, also a language that will be beneficial in webdesign.

Also how do i go about learning the language? Do i need a client? Where can i find guides and tutorials.

All feedback greatly appreciated.

02goswej

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 12, 2004
United Kingdom
IMO:

Good'n's:
C++
C#
Delphi
Lots more

NO...Just..Don't:
VB.NET

Reason I say NO to VB (Visual Basic) Is the simple fact that it's not one the of heavily used languages, meaning there isn't anywhere near as much support for it, in fact it was the only language I knew until a few days ago, since then I have thrown VB out the Window and started getting used to the C# syntax, A lot of the .NET languages are similar, hence the reason I can do anything I could do in VB.NET in C#, even though I have only been using it for about 2 days.

The fact is, you can really learn any programming language and apply that to others, but IMHO learn one of the .NET languages, the amount of support is phenomenal and you can always change to a different one.

I know people who say the following are nice starting languages:
Java
Delphi
VB.NET (Up to you, you could always do what I did and switch when you get some knowledge)

There are hundreds of programming languages, if you want low level go assembler, if you want HUGE amounts of support, go .NET/Java (Main .NET for support is C++ I think)

It's really up to you, But there are a lot of E-Books, Although searching for them within torrent sites can be hard as things like "+" and "#" aren't recognised by the searches, but you will find them eventually. :P

Have a look at a few, I know VB was pretty easy to begin with.

P.S - Good luck on your adventures of programming ;P

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
my fav's are php and c#, cba with a long post at this time in the day ^^, but jus download e-books, get open source programs, or think of a program you fancy making, and jus work through it, actually making a program is a much easier way to learn than just reading tutorials imo.

02goswej

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 12, 2004
United Kingdom
my fav's are php and c#, cba with a long post at this time in the day ^^, but jus download e-books, get open source programs, or think of a program you fancy making, and jus work through it, actually making a program is a much easier way to learn than just reading tutorials imo.

I's true, I didn't know anything about the advanced things in VB.NET until I jumped into the deep end, promising a community some form of anti-hack for a game I played, ended up finishing it :), Not the best Anti-Hack but it did the job I made it for :D

Think of a project, choose a language, and get going!

Ven_

LOMCN n00bie
May 24, 2009
na stay away from java, if u wanted it for employment, about a year to late c++ and php

lewis

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 15, 2004
Southampton
id say php and python (if you can get your head around python you can get your head around any language). I know both of these very well. You would be suprised how much python is used in the workplace of many companies. PHP is a must for any web designer. But you really should learn flash and actionscripts this is the big up and coming method to websites at the moment and will replace java. It already is in web based games and mobile games. We hardley use any java at all anymore. Mostly php,flash and html and python.

Last edited:

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
Ive decided i'd like to learn C++.

I've downloaded a compiler called codeblocks, in which ive found to be very good. It has a way in which you can run the program etc, by clicking f9, without compiling it.

What i would like to do whilst learning, and as a way to familiarise myself with C++, is build a program to aid people that develop mir2 servers.

I was thinking along the lines on a program that you place in your data folder, when run there is tabs at the top (armour,monster,etc). On the armour screen, theres a drop down mention from 0-99 etc that when you click that number, it shows the first image of the armour. It has an option to add wings, showing the armour with wings on to the right, then also the option to run animation, which runs all the images in the armour sequence.

This allows people to quickly gain the shape for armours and monsters. I would like to make it compatible for mir2 and mir3 type wils.