Which SSD to buy!

smoochy boys on tour

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
The missus is buying me an SSD drive for crimbo, but not sure which one to go for as ive read so many confliction reviews about performance, reliability and controller bugs etc.

anyway, here are the ones ive narrowed it down to. the selections are obviously due to budget restraints or id probably plumb for one of the Intel Elmcrest drives as overclockers were highly recommending them at one point!

Corsair Force Series 3 120GB

OCZ Agility 3 120GB

Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB

OCZ Vertex 3 60GB
(id prefer a little more boot drive storage than 60GB the vertex offers, i dont have the budget for the 120GB version)

Regards

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
Vertex 3. Super fast and you don't really need much space on an SSD as you'll just have Windows on it! (i hope!)

Might seem stupid to you, but a friend of mine bought a SSD recently, make sure you have Sata3 ports, otherwise it'll bottleneck your SSD to a point where you've just spend extra on something you won't get!

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
dont buy the agility 3, its got a super high fail rate. i'd go for either the vertex 3 or force 3

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
Vertex 3. Super fast and you don't really need much space on an SSD as you'll just have Windows on it! (i hope!)

Might seem stupid to you, but a friend of mine bought a SSD recently, make sure you have Sata3 ports, otherwise it'll bottleneck your SSD to a point where you've just spend extra on something you won't get!

totally agree with his suggestion regarding the sata3 ports.. be carefull to have them on your motherboard else you are waisting your cash as it will go like a western digital black edition..

also consider doing as suggested above.. just put windows with a few programs in it.. nothing else.. expect maybe some game which require a lot to run.. all the other games just place them onto a normal hardisk.. no need to put mir for example onto an ssd..

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
yeah i have 8 sata3 ports, having just upgraded to a GigaByte 990FX chipset board! the SSD will be replacing my aging SATA1 150GB Raptor drive... and yes, it will only be for windows, and general programs i use such as photoshop, premiere & dreamweaver, ms office etc etc.

all my games are installed on a RAID0 array containing 2x 500GB WD Blues. all my other stuff like music, backup/media & disc iso's are stored on a 1TB WD green, 500GB Barracuda & a 640GB WD Black respectively. I know, its sad having a different hard disk for a different purpose but i like things in order etc lol.

so either the vertex 3 60GB or the force 3 120GB then??

cheers