Win 7 / Xp Dual BootWell

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
Well I had Windows 7 Pre-Installed on my PC and tried installing a Pro version of Windows XP But was crashing with BSOD after starting the install thing, anyway I totally formatted my drive's and installed Windows 7 again, I then tried to install Windows XP Pro on a 80-120 GB partition (changed sizes around to see if it changed anything) but it still won't work, it lets me select where to copy files, it copies them all, says Restarting computer, when it start s back up if I press a key It just recopies files and repeats and if I leave it then it just says Disk Read Error Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart, constantly looping, only way past this is to do system repair or bootrec/FixMbr bootrec/FixBoot bootrec/RebuildBcd which was supposed to make the XP install carry on but just launches windows 7 normally instead, really want to install XP as a dual boot so any help would be appreciated :(

jasper

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 10, 2005
i think you need to install xp first.. then swap boot options in msconfig

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
Well I saw that somewhere and figured I would have to so tomoz I'm gonna format both Window 7 and Xp [Just delete partitions? with windows xp disc] then install xp get it working, install win 7 on diff partition, use dual boot pro to set up a boot order so i can pick wot 1 i want then done? :)

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Why so complicated?

Format the drive, partition it into 2 sections, install XP and then install 7. 7's bootloader will detect XP and let you pick from XP or 7 when you boot.

Anonlol

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
I did this a few months back, from memory i left win 7 installed, installed XP, then from XP i restored win 7s bootloader.

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
Tried formatting then installing XP first, same disk read error after it copied files and restarted to continue