Windows XP Disk

Dazz

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 12, 2008
When you buy the Windows XP disk and you put it on your computer. Can you then use it to put on another computer or will the code be used?

Just wondering as my mate got one and I might borrow it if you can use it more than once on another computer.

Cheers

/Daz

Mezoko

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2005
Yeah the code isn't a 1-use. I had an XP re-installation disk on my previous computer, and when i bought my new pc i just used that disk and the same code.

mapadale

Yeah the code isn't a 1-use. I had an XP re-installation disk on my previous computer, and when i bought my new pc i just used that disk and the same code.
Actually, thats where your wrong.

The Authentication key for all of Microsoft products are one time use only, what this means is that you can use that key upto about 7 times on the machine that the "Origianl" software is installed. Once you use that key on another machine and it connects to the net, then you have not only lost your official version of the OS but also now your machine with the copy on it.

The installation of XP can be used as many times as you like on as many machines as you want, but the key can only be used on one machine only. Unless you hold the Licence key for corporate versions of the OS and these are the ones that you find online.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Well I'm using a legit key, that my mate is also using, and his Dads PC (Its not a business one), and have been using this for nearly a year now. It still passes verification when re-installing windows with windows updates etc

mapadale

Well I'm using a legit key, that my mate is also using, and his Dads PC (Its not a business one), and have been using this for nearly a year now. It still passes verification when re-installing windows with windows updates etc
Very lucky then, as when you use the windows update feature. It should read that the key is used more than once with a diff hardware finger print and cancel the key.

Dazz

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 12, 2008
Pfft gotta get it fixed, can't use the key again AND Laptop didnt support XP anyway. Silly me - oh well learn from mistakes!

/Daz