Would a 3D LOM2 work?

Gadget

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Aug 3, 2006
The reason it wouldn't work is 3D kinda sucks in MMORPG games - It's the whole combat / movement mechanics that make Mir 2 what it is, ie. the tile based movement and combat. If you had tile based mechanics in a true 3D engine then that could work, but if it was like WOW or WAR where you are free to move anywhere and combat doesn't feel right then it would just flop. TBH I don't see why WOW is so popular, I think it's just a social thing.

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Its the other way around m8, the maps would be the easiest things to make in 3D because placement in 3D is a lot easier then the stupid Mir Map editor. As the char sprites are so small it would be hard to recreate all the detail from such small reference.

Not even going to humor your idiocy. byebye

Last edited:

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
if someone wanted to create a small 3d map with some char images id work with shorty on putting a small one together and see what its like.

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
I need a bit more info m8:

- What engine are you planning on using
- What shaders does it support i.e Normal Maps, Specular, Diffuse, Lighting etc
- Poly limit for the scene?
- What format do you want the models in?
- What units (cm/meters)?
- Do you want poly terrain or a height/Displacment map?

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
DirectX, supports all the shaders im sure, the polygon limit i am unsure off, but quite high, format doesnt matter, as most can be exported. Size would be up to you. Again up to you what you think is best.

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
http://rapidshare.com/files/281343813/Terrain_LowRes.zip.html

Made a quick terrain for you to play with, Ive put the max file, obj and 3ds format models. I have 8096x8096 diffuse, normal, spec and illumination maps but they are like 500mb lol so ive done you a low res diffuse and a 10k poly terrain which is 100m x 100m. The black and which map is the displacment for the terrain should you want to lower/increase the polys and the environment is just a quick sky I made, if you want it as a cube map let me know.

as theres limited downloads on RS let the people who know what to do with the files download them first pls

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
http://rapidshare.com/files/281343813/Terrain_LowRes.zip.html

Made a quick terrain for you to play with, Ive put the max file, obj and 3ds format models. I have 8096x8096 diffuse, normal, spec and illumination maps but they are like 500mb lol so ive done you a low res diffuse and a 10k poly terrain which is 100m x 100m. The black and which map is the displacment for the terrain should you want to lower/increase the polys and the environment is just a quick sky I made, if you want it as a cube map let me know.

as theres limited downloads on RS let the people who know what to do with the files download them first pls

Thanks m8, ill have a mess around with it!

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
i did a couple of quick preview renders to show what it would look like with all the proper maps. Its very rough i made it in leteraly 20 mins

preview1va.jpg

preview2w.jpg

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
there was a 3d mir ages and ages ago. bichon wall and everything, dont think it picked up. cant remember what it was called.
You sure that wasn't a Never Winter nights mod?

Last edited:

lifco

Untrusted Member
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 6, 2004
UK/Italy
There was a 3d mir but never tuck off unfortunately, the best we have now is the chinese coded new loaders and ditched the direct exe for true colour loader, its not no biggy to me tho and dont seem any better lol

lif