Performance Chip (Car Modification)

Kadama

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 28, 2004
West Midlands, Malvern
I've chosen to NOT implement my £5.00 chip, reading this thread has made me realise what a silly idea it was. I have no experience with cars, except how to drive one hence the thread.
Thanks for your opinions and feedback i really appreciate it.

I had a puncture in my tire the other day, so i had to place my old standard wheels back on, i've gone from 17" alloys to i presume, 15" wheels. Feel a better and smoother ride apart from the corners which dont grip to much anymore which is understandable, the alloys where very wide.

But thanks anyway guys for the feedback.
Kadama

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 5, 2005
UK
please dont tell me u got an engine conversion done from the rover 1.4 valver to the mg 1.4 valver...
no it was a whole new engine as the whole block of the rover engine cracked the previous owned couldnt afford to fix the person who i brought it off owned a garage so i know it was done propperly.
and i have all the correct document's stating they brought the engine from a scrap yard in lincoln

/ancient

Last edited:

Colonel

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 30, 2005
Newport S.Wales
I've chosen to NOT implement my £5.00 chip, reading this thread has made me realise what a silly idea it was. I have no experience with cars, except how to drive one hence the thread.
Thanks for your opinions and feedback i really appreciate it.

I had a puncture in my tire the other day, so i had to place my old standard wheels back on, i've gone from 17" alloys to i presume, 15" wheels. Feel a better and smoother ride apart from the corners which dont grip to much anymore which is understandable, the alloys where very wide.

But thanks anyway guys for the feedback.
Kadama

ok glad you didnt put it in.

buy a new tyre then put ur 17's back on lol.

Floyd

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2004
no it was a whole new engine as the whole block of the rover engine cracked the previous owned couldnt afford to fix the person who i brought it off owned a garage so i know it was done propperly.
and i have all the correct document's stating they brought the engine from a scrap yard in lincoln

/ancient

gd job, was gunna say u got mugged if u payed to have the engine replaced with the exact same 1 cos it was out of a "mg"

Floyd

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2004
Why not buy an air filter? Its pretty much the start of performance modification. Get a decent enclosed one. You might not notice much difference but like i said, its a start.

**** the filter...

Bike carbs and a standalone ECU!!

Floyd

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2004
peice of **** imo, stick with whats best, KnN Panel filter and a properly drilled air box.

BattleGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2007
The best thing you can do is do it professionally, that means spending a lot of money and time to get it right.

I had a xr3i a while back with alloys the body kit spoiler roof scoops the whole lot plus enhanced parts for it and it cost me a lot of money (i used to be a racer) it had recaro seats i loved that car until well lets say an accident happened lol wasnt my fault.

Anyways if your going to do it, dont do it the cheap way you have no guarantee that stuff from ebay works or is even compatible with your setup/parts installed anyways and I would also not just upgrade one thing either id do it all in one go that way you would know its all going to work together properly.

lozmuir

Former Moderator
VIP
Apr 17, 2003
Congleton, Cheshire.
I would also not just upgrade one thing either id do it all in one go that way you would know its all going to work together properly.

Be realistic, most people on this forum are under 20yrs old and will find it hard enough to gather money for the extra insurance, let alone several grand to modify their cars all in one go.

Besides, whats wrong with upgrading one thing at a time? Its what most people do and imo its actually alot funner gradually building your car and seeing the gains you get from each mod.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 5, 2005
UK
i payd £1195 for my rover 25. but is it worth spending anothing 2-3thousand pound's on a car which would loose its value in couple of year's?
this is why i recon you get a nice fast car which can be modded to hell. and spend all your cash on that.

and im only 19 lal

/ancient

Last edited:

lozmuir

Former Moderator
VIP
Apr 17, 2003
Congleton, Cheshire.
i payd £1195 for my rover 25. but is it worth spending anothing 2-3thousand pound's on a car which would loose its value in couple of year's?
this is why i recon you get a nice fast car which can be modded to hell. and spend all your cash on that.

and im only 19 lal

/ancient

I spent a fair amount on my saxo, ended up taking it back to standard and selling the mods. Yeah i still lost money but i learnt so much which has helped me to mod my FRS.

Wont you be 18 if your bday is actually 1989? :P

BattleGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2007
Be realistic, most people on this forum are under 20yrs old and will find it hard enough to gather money for the extra insurance, let alone several grand to modify their cars all in one go.

Besides, whats wrong with upgrading one thing at a time? Its what most people do and imo its actually alot funner gradually building your car and seeing the gains you get from each mod.

Dont agree there, not every part from different manufactorers (spelling?) work well together, so doing one part at a time is not a good idea.

And if I was to get a car and mod it it would have to be one thats worth the cash, no point modding a car thats not going to benefit hugely from modding it.

lastly modding a car isnt cheap and never will be.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 5, 2005
UK
I spent a fair amount on my saxo, ended up taking it back to standard and selling the mods. Yeah i still lost money but i learnt so much which has helped me to mod my FRS.

Wont you be 18 if your bday is actually 1989? :P

Danny. my brother is 18 but im 19 cba making a new account >.<

/ancient

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
Dont agree there, not every part from different manufactorers (spelling?) work well together, so doing one part at a time is not a good idea.
Buy it all at once, or buy it bit by bit, as long as you buy parts that do work together, it won't make the slightest difference.

BattleGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2007
Buy it all at once, or buy it bit by bit, as long as you buy parts that do work together, it won't make the slightest difference.

True you have a point there, ill reword it....if your going to mod your car make sure you research it that way everything should work together.

Colonel

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 30, 2005
Newport S.Wales
ill admit now i havent got the best knowledge of engines but when you think about it if you wacked all your engine mods on a car straight away then isnt the cars engine going to struggle to adapt to all these changes.

anyway my view is if you got enough money to buy all the mods you might aswell just buy a car that was designed for it thats standard such as a supra or skyline. i think modifying the body and interior is fine but once you mess with the engine your just looking for trouble specially with insurance companies these days only takes 1 mod not to be down on the papers, their word against yours and if youve had a knock in the car your insurance is void.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 5, 2005
UK
ill admit now i havent got the best knowledge of engines but when you think about it if you wacked all your engine mods on a car straight away then isnt the cars engine going to struggle to adapt to all these changes.

anyway my view is if you got enough money to buy all the mods you might aswell just buy a car that was designed for it thats standard such as a supra or skyline. i think modifying the body and interior is fine but once you mess with the engine your just looking for trouble specially with insurance companies these days only takes 1 mod not to be down on the papers, their word against yours and if youve had a knock in the car your insurance is void.

yes Skyline's / Supra's and Rotary's are made for these kind of mod's i can strip a whole engine and rebuild. as im really good with hand's (not in a gay way lol) and as i want tobe a mechanic this is what i enjoy.
and car's will not struggle with all these mod's put onto once. all depend's what combo of manufacture's your using. i dont have much Knolage (think thats how it's spelt) as lozmuir and floyd but i do like to learn how todo stuff >.<

/ancient

Last edited: