AceM2 - The next generation of Mir

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
At the moment just Item,Magic,Monsters,Admin from M2Server are in SQL. I'm not a huge fan of storing other data in SQL as it makes it more difficult to add content. I just personally don't see the benefit in storing things like NPC, Merchant etc in SQL.

I fail to see where the benefit in SQL is at all, do you have the time to explain your reasoning?

(Actual question)

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I fail to see where the benefit in SQL is at all, do you have the time to explain your reasoning?

(Actual question)

We're using SQL on M2Server for those DB's because DBCommander is old outdated tech that is awkward to install on x64 machines (and for the reason in the next paragraph). DBSrv for Character updating and because it will allow us to create a web based API that securely allows GameGold purchases, character profile pages, access to auction pages etc. Right now how we have SQL set up is you provide the location of the server (Which will be (local)) in 99% of cases and the name of the DB and the server will handle the rest.

One huge benefit of SQL as well is something clever that TheDeath coded into the files. Whenever we need to update fields, add new ones etc our Server Files will automatically back up the DB and run the various scripts required to update Characters etc. So no need to wipe and also no need for people with minimal knowledge of SQL to go and run scripts. This is tried and tested over the past few months and works extremely well.

Basically it's easier for Server Owners to set up than DBCommander and allows us to ensure files are always update to date with no Character loss.

Last edited:

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
nice work guys.

only thing i dislike is the project name, sounds like something from the 90's. :P

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
i finally like the idea of a decent way to interface game with web using sql..

nice thoughts and nice work... can't really wait to try this version of the game and see the differences with the original.

will the client be available a week before of the launching of the test server? just so that everyone has time to get it without problems?

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
These files are great, after working on them with milo and co I couldn't see myself using the other files (heroes/ruby) there's just so much that these files have that other's don't and come with less bugs (last time I worked on them), I know the team worked hard on the dark system as again it wasn't in the files like heroes can't wait to play with the updated binary's :)

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Looks promising.

Will we be needing a new map editor to create new maps using the new tiles/objects, or will shortys work just fine?

chaosdeath

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Newport, UK
Looks awsome count me in for testing ...getting tired of all the bugs with the ruby files now and there does not seem to much news or coding going on with regards to fixing the ruby issue's.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
i finally like the idea of a decent way to interface game with web using sql..

nice thoughts and nice work... can't really wait to try this version of the game and see the differences with the original.

will the client be available a week before of the launching of the test server? just so that everyone has time to get it without problems?

We will most probably have the client available in good time :D.

Looks promising.

Will we be needing a new map editor to create new maps using the new tiles/objects, or will shortys work just fine?

There is a new MapEditor yeah... I would imagine that Shortey's map edit would work on the existing maps, but I can't say for sure as I haven't done much work on the maps.

Sam

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Just to expand on what Sam said,

Client will be available to download at least a week before Test Server launch so people will have plenty of time to get it. And our MapEditor does support creating maps using both the New Objects and Mir 3 Objects. I believe it's actually possible to create Hybrid maps using Data from all 3 sets of objects though I'm not 100% sure about that.

Agro

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 22, 2012
Manchester UK
Looks good,

Will windows xp still be that much faster than w7?

Will you be able to play on a VM like oracle or VMware?

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Able to play and host on VMware...

Windows xp being faster than 7 I am not to sure about anymore... The new engine means that older crappy laptops will now actually preform as you would expect...

I guess we should look into a minimum spec guideline.

Sam

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Outstanding work.

It's by far the most advanced progress I think I have seen on any set of files to date.
Thanks for stopping Mir2 dying out I guess. This is going to bring back all the oldies.

I do enjoy working on a server, however with 101 different things to download, and crashing databases, small bugs & other complications it does put me off.
However, If these set of files are small & compact, I think I'll be having a nice fiddle around with these files :)

Quick Question / Suggestion:
Instead of having flood posts regarding "Not being able to get my server online", would it be possible to code a launcher which could fill in all the correct IP addresses into the ini files?
This would solve alot of problems if do-able

Again, congratulations guys.
Top Marks 10000/10