Anti-Hacking Idea

smoochy boys on tour

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
Hello.

I know LeoCrasher and others have done some very good work in accessing ingame data from out of game, so I was wondering if something might be possible...

I am told that all items have an unique ID. This is the info I would like to use.

When someone has a DSS or a valuable item, they can do something on a website to register as wanting that item 'marked' as theirs.

Disregarding the authentication problem for a second, this would mean a player could log onto a website and track who holds a slayer marked as theirs.

If you want to sell the item in the future, you can register to have the mark removed. As a caution, this takes like 3 days and emails the registered owner. (Most people selling a big item know 3 days in advance they want to do so.)

People would know to be careful about buying marked items, and they can tell if an item is marked by searching for the seller's name.

If this could be done, it means that:

- It's very easy to track hacked items, and very hard for them to resurface.
- You can see who picked up a marked drop.

Basically - you can track the item. So all a hacker can do is either reveal themselves or leave the item on a store char forever. (Or try and get the mark removed, which can be hard to impossible with the real owner trying to stop it, 3 day windows etc.)

Ignorance wouldn't be an excuse for buyers because everyone can do a check on a big item before buying it. If this was available on a server, every single player would do this before a big purchase.

You could have an option to mark something unmarked too, which is cancellable straight away. This allows people to see that the guy in question does HAVE an un-marked slayer.

What do you guys think? Also - Leo etc, can it be done?

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Which involves database editing, which will end up currupting, your ideas are thinking for the better but are not practical.

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
No - no editing. Just reading like LEO already can.

I'm not that dumb, lol.

You just use a second (possibly SQL) table to track which items are 'marked' as who's. I really cannot think why you assumed that this would be saved in the actual server DB (I didn't even think this was possible, never mind corruption. I regard this as read-only.)

Eg. Item 1000001 - DragonSlayerSword (SQL data) - currently held by: (read data from game).

I normally explain more detailedly, but I'm tired and I thought that was obvious. :P.

If Leo etc can make an application that periodically scans and tells you who is holding item ID number x, even I could code the other bit in PHP myself. Really simple stuff - just basic parsing of the info given to it by that app.

(Again I'm putting authentication issues to one side for the time being, this shouldn't be a MASSIVE problem - may require more data reading though?)

Last edited:

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Loving that idea but, if someone sold an item and said that the didn't sell it in the thing couldn't this be used to steal?

Toxick

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 17, 2003
well the buyer should check up on marked items as well :Pif im thinking correctly on what Sam is saying...

[BlitZ]

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2005
Okay... that's just gone right over my head although, I do know Shadow has had a programmer that made him an anti-cheat program which everyone will have to scan when you first start. Every time you log-in you will be scanned for cheats and cant turn them on during the game either....

SoLiD for teh win tbh... ;]

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
seems pointless imo, after all its only a private server lol, not like the pixels r worth ne thing. too much effort imo and no need.

ppl rarely get hacked, and if they do, the GM / host should search the logs and sort it.

and ye as rip said, keep ur pc free of virus's and keyloggers, decent id and pass not like ID:david pass:1234 or something lol, and not same as other servers and ur fine ;)

Shinoda

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 18, 2003
Hong Kong
MentaL said:
Which involves database editing, which will end up currupting, your ideas are thinking for the better but are not practical.

This about the 10th thread you have jumped the gun on, you are not all knowing... And because RageZone doesn't have it doesn't mean it isn't possible.

:ghug:

@MrSam

Good ideas as usual mate, I think its deffinatly one for the more high-end items which even on Private servers people would be worried about losing.

Much more potential on EuroMir but obviously not something they would ever do.

:agree:

Last edited:

BloodRaven

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 5, 2005
Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight
I like this idea, I don't actually know if it can be implemented into P servers, but with the help of Leo and yourself, (MrSam.) This could work. You just have to find the Item ID number and create a Read-Only database access program, couldn't you make it so if any "rare" item is dropped from a mob, the person that picks it up it marks automatically.

I don't know much about programming but I think this can be done.

Please correct me if I'm chatting crap.

/B.R.

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
i can think of a flaw in the idea if im hearing u right.

so if sum1 pked the person who had got thr dss marked.
they wud never b able to sell the dss again ?
and the person who got got it marked cud say they hacked em or whteva, n get the pker banned mayb..

so takes the fun out of pking, nice.

BloodRaven

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 5, 2005
Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight
PK'ing is part of the game, also if you have these items then you are gonna be pretty high level, right? So in that case you can either RT. (c'mon most people carry atleast 1 RT with them.) Or run away, or maybe you can kill them, but RT is best idea in that senario.

Perhaps when people relize that if you hack a char you will get caught, and banned. They will stop doing it. right?

/B.R.

EDIT:

Doesn't the server recognise a PK? maybe the application could gather that information aswell and "Unmark" the rare item for the pk'er to "Remark" as their item?

Last edited:

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Shinoda said:
This about the 10th thread you have jumped the gun on, you are not all knowing... And because RageZone doesn't have it doesn't mean it isn't possible.

:ghug:

@MrSam

Good ideas as usual mate, I think its deffinatly one for the more high-end items which even on Private servers people would be worried about losing.

Much more potential on EuroMir but obviously not something they would ever do.

:agree:
The way i work is that i rather see something done than talk about it, im a DOO'er....... How many ideas has some had yet nothing so far......

SkyDragon

.::Mario Ftw::.
Golden Oldie
Sep 10, 2004
West-Yorkshire :)
what if someone died and dropped the item , som1 could say they got hacked and get the person banned who picked it up , good idea but got alot of bad points

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
SkyDragon said:
what if someone died and dropped the item , som1 could say they got hacked and get the person banned who picked it up , good idea but got alot of bad points
just going from what would be in the logs if that happend

player X got killed by (what ever)

player x droped on death DragonSlayer map co rords ect ... id number

then from that info the i.p. address can be checked to see any abnormal activity on the account, it would show if some 1 had been hacked

Ripman

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jul 22, 2003
Romania, Timisoara
SkyDragon said:

in logs when u die it says what u lost in the death process...:D..so no1 can trick the GM

Shinoda

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 18, 2003
Hong Kong
MentaL said:
The way i work is that i rather see something done than talk about it, im a DOO'er....... How many ideas has some had yet nothing so far......

Doens't mean you can jump the gun on every Idea, and what exactly have you DONE then? A server with no NEW idea's what so ever. Yawn, yawn....

Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
Very nice idea Sam. I was actually contemplating doing something like this.

However, for it to work, your server host would also need to run a webserver of some description. Assuming any server host has the competance to understand how to install IIS or Apache, let alone the difference between them, is pushing the bar a little too high, imho :P

Maybe if there was a private server where the items actually meant something, this could be useful. You could also compile an item history, showing how many times it's been repaired, etc, if you really wanted.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
MrSam said:
If Leo etc can make an application that periodically scans and tells you who is holding item ID number x, even I could code the other bit in PHP myself. Really simple stuff - just basic parsing of the info given to it by that app.

(Again I'm putting authentication issues to one side for the time being, this shouldn't be a MASSIVE problem - may require more data reading though?)

Leo's made the application already.

However since the application in question is not dependant on the server, a more generic search will have to be used (considering different servers have different ways of managing etc). Also, why should a huge time consuming external system be used? - Server owners already have perfectly good LogDataServer parsers which are more than capable of letting the server owner perform searches on ItemID's and even their histories from point of origin.

/Leo

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
Mask said:
i can think of a flaw in the idea if im hearing u right.

so if sum1 pked the person who had got thr dss marked.
they wud never b able to sell the dss again ?
and the person who got got it marked cud say they hacked em or whteva, n get the pker banned mayb..

so takes the fun out of pking, nice.

Well - some would say that's a flaw, some would say that's a real plus.

It's an effect. But tbh it would probably not happen like that, people would just know what happens to the sword they were PK'd for.

Ok yeah it makes it harder to sell on weapons u PK'd for. - But really it just means people can't feign ignorance about buying a PKd wep.