Computer for £350?

Join Discord

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
A long long LONG time since I've posted, but have started playing Rift and want something a bit better than my laptop to play it on. A budget of £350, excluding monitor of course, just wondering what the best build would be?

Laptop at the moment is nothing special, only has a 8800GTX which Rift is making short work of, along with a T...something, Intel Dual Core, only 1.93ghz or something, and 4GB 800mhz RAM.

Any ideas?

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
Where did people like urbanfox go? Like people who could come up with sort of custom builds and stuff. I'm looking at the i3 processor really, and the Nvidia 460 graphics card, I'll figure something out.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
125 for that gcard
i3 - 90-120

That's about £220 before you even buy a case and ram, never mind the motherboard.

So you either need to raise your budget, or lower the specs!

Hi Shard btw.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
or just download a os...i know someone of you like to use legit os but i never have and never had any problems.

dude id up your budget to 500 and have a nice build tbh.

you dont want crappy mboard/ram.

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
Can you up your budget at all like it has been said. My graphics card costs more than what you're after for a whole build!

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
Can you up your budget at all like it has been said. My graphics card costs more than what you're after for a whole build!

he dont need a good g card at all , mine was only 120 pound.

most games are built for consoles , a 120 pound g card wont look that much diff then a 350.

all your doing upping your frames per second up abit.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
on board graphics...YUCK.

buy that pc and stick a 50-100 quid g card in it lol.

Obviously ude put a graphics card in it, but its a great spec for the price.

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Right had a quick look about and this is pretty much your options.

Intel i3 Build - Over budget, crap motherboard, ram/cpu/gfx/psu/case/hdd is all fine for what your needing it for, tho personally i wouldnt go too cheap on a case, i went for the Antec 300 case and its perfect, good space and good cooling once you add a few fans (Silent ones) made the mistake of adding my old coloured fans for a little extra air, sounded like a helicopter taking off.

i3build.png

AMD Build - Still over budget but not by much, better motherboard but loss a little on CPU power, wont really need much to run what you want anyway.

AMDbuild.png

I currently run a E8400 @4Ghz / XFX 4890 1GB OC / 4GB DDR2 1200+ ram and it runs anything i throw at it.

Its very hard to fit a decent build into £350 unless you go the route i went, that system cost me less than £200 to build a year ago buying used/second hand parts and selling my old ones on from AV forums, with your £350 you could build yourself up a very nice little i3 system, i myself am considering selling on this build and starting fresh on an i5 possibly i7 build using the same method as before :).

Good luck with your build hope this gives you a start to work on, personally i would either look into AV forum computer classifieds if you have time to wait on the build or throw a little more cash at it, get that i3 build with a better motherboard and it will run like a dream.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
warlock does it again :P

they are some sweet builds for cash.

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
he dont need a good g card at all , mine was only 120 pound.

most games are built for consoles , a 120 pound g card wont look that much diff then a 350.

all your doing upping your frames per second up abit.
But that's what it's all about is the frame rates. I find it hard playing on some gash frame rates to be honest but then again I'm normally one of the best in games I play and I don't put that down to just player skill but the fact my PC hardware chews through all the games and while people are getting FPS drops and slow downs I'm normally still sitting at 100FPS + with everything on max/ultra.

forspinki

Legend
Legendary
Oct 23, 2006
Handan, China
a £200 gcard will do same as a £500 at present due to all games being console ports. the only time you really need a better gcard is if your looking to run multiple instances of games like i run 5-10 world of warcrafts so i had to upgrade my card

Demonolith

Caswell
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2006
Swansea
Im also thinking about getting a new pc, mine is utter ****, how much do you think id get on ebay or something for:

MS Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, Harddrive 150 gb

I know i wont get much just something to give me a headstart on saving, being a full time student on benefits is hard :P

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
You're on a low budget and you still want Intel?...

Gawd why can't people see reason & realise that Advanced Micro Devices are the way forward.