Dragon Chronicle Closed?

smoochy boys on tour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arktica

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2006
just a lot of shock and disapointment thats all, from my understanding it was almost there and was such fun to play when it was up. i think you were to close to quit but gl with what ever u set ur mind to

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
Id like to say some people really really dont have a clue.
Maybe this is the end of Dragon Chronicles Maybe its not.
Good luck to the RZ team and to anyone else who takes on the challenge of making a 2.3 server. Its not as easy as it seems, and if you succeed then fair play to you. And @ Dan (MentaL) if you think that was 'bringing a lot to the table' then you have seen nothing yet.

Just remember things have to die for new things to be born. The Oak tree never dies it simpley evolves, it resprouts and it grows. Just because you cant see something it doesnt mean its not there..and who knows what could happen in the future carpe dium.

Regards
Beard

lol from that reply and xanders reply earlyer i'd gues you're trying to insinuate that you're either:
- closed the server temporary as a big publicity stunt and since you cant really post exe's without releasing source on here this is a great way to get publicity without posting exe's
- closed the server cause it had a verry bad name with the delays and all and will be opening an exact copy of the server under a new name with same management to get rid of the bad name and make it look decent

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
Wow your being nasty, strange? Im sure that the bias will of course be there since DC did try to recruit majority of lomcc staff, reason being I asume is that they would be able to get more exposure of some sort.. Other than that, servers are servers, its what appeals to the single user that counts, someone may like DC, someone may like RZ.. at the end of the day, i been doing this longer than any of the DC team so, im not too concerned about rivals, infact, if I was to even do such a server, I would be sure as hell going to advertise it as much globally as I can to the european players.

Regards

Oh cmon dan you know aswell as i do my post was playful at the most.

DC players who play RZ are not sellouts, they are more then welcome to play whatever they choose.

Anyways..ive given this convo my two cents.

.ViruS

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jan 6, 2007
./usr/
lol from that reply and xanders reply earlyer i'd gues you're trying to insinuate that you're either:
- closed the server temporary as a big publicity stunt and since you cant really post exe's without releasing source on here this is a great way to get publicity without posting exe's
- closed the server cause it had a verry bad name with the delays and all and will be opening an exact copy of the server under a new name with same management to get rid of the bad name and make it look decent

They would be stupid to do either of those why not just keep it as it is? People will find out if they change the name and do it this way.

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
Since most of the main coders for the SVN were taking part in the creation of DC then I would like to see you lot perhaps release a few codes or even perhaps help out with the SVN. :P Not being selfish or nothing though. We need some more updates on the SVN.

Babyhack

Devilsoul Owner
VIP
Feb 4, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
Since most of the main coders for the SVN were taking part in the creation of DC then I would like to see you lot perhaps release a few codes or even perhaps help out with the SVN. :P Not being selfish or nothing though. We need some more updates on the SVN.

I also would like to see this
be a shame to see alot of good code and codding skill going to waste and not being used

I am also sorry to see DC having so much trouble
I know whats its like to run a server (its not easy)

BH

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
OK less of that lol... Personally I would rather see codes for many servers to be inmproved rather than just the one server that is coded a lot better than the rest.

Hafl the people moan about 2.3 servers and so on but the people that try to set them up have all the problems and give up when its so simple its quite untrue. Would love to see them setup Delphi as u have a few more 'simple' steps to do lol.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
i agree with killmaster, id rather every server having the same codes then just one, just greedy and makes that server better then the other that might be what private servers are but private servers are supposed to be fun not at war as most people call it

/ancient

.ViruS

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jan 6, 2007
./usr/
So they should release all code the added into the server to everyone? Isn't that the same as saying all servers should release thier NPC scripts becuase it would make the rest of the servers fun too?

How is a server suppose to be unique if it has to release all its unique coding? I agree that they should release fixes and codes if they are part of 2.3 euro but not unique features they have made up and programmed.

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
i agree with killmaster, id rather every server having the same codes then just one, just greedy and makes that server better then the other that might be what private servers are but private servers are supposed to be fun not at war as most people call it

/ancient

That's just not feasable.
The GPL was initially used to create a fair environment with the intention of relicensing when 2.3 was reached.

And I just want to make this point clear. Working on the SVN and for a server are completely different things, you cannot blame people who wanted a different experience.
How many people really use the SVN files?
A server is instant gratification.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
i used the SVN and its hard for someone to code when they dont no how todo it, its like the spell's you have to code the correct look's into the SVN you say giving the CODE's would be like giving script's away well scripting is really easy i could do it with my screen turned off without any mistake's with the DM2 files at the moment they arnt complete. all the items are not there and many more things people do have a right about releasing there code's but for people quiting making server's such as DC they have load's of code's which would help new comer's and will proberly stop people asking about the CODE's

/ancient

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
Im not asking for the whole coded files at all, just little codes here and there that improve the aspect of the game a bit. Also the bugs that were found should be released as this will benefit the whole game play.

Doesnt that GPL allow people to ask for the client source code? Not to sure on this one :err:

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
i used the SVN and its hard for someone to code when they dont no how todo it, its like the spell's you have to code the correct look's into the SVN you say giving the CODE's would be like giving script's away well scripting is really easy i could do it with my screen turned off without any mistake's with the DM2 files at the moment they arnt complete. all the items are not there and many more things people do have a right about releasing there code's but for people quiting making server's such as DC they have load's of code's which would help new comer's and will proberly stop people asking about the CODE's

/ancient

I'm not disputing that the SVN is a good thing or that some people might find it more difficult than others to get their head around the code.

What you said is that ever server should have the same code, that's just plain madness :P

.ViruS

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jan 6, 2007
./usr/
Im not asking for the whole coded files at all, just little codes here and there that improve the aspect of the game a bit. Also the bugs that were found should be released as this will benefit the whole game play.

Doesnt that GPL allow people to ask for the client source code? Not to sure on this one :err:

Yes if the .exe has been release the source must be provided along with it or upon request. But the client exe has not been posted anywhere so not too sure if you can request it anymore..

Fire

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 15, 2003
what would be nice, if you uploaded to the svn the autopatching engine if it isnt bugged, its one thing that could really do with being integrated into the exe

im sorry to hear dc went down and i shudder to think about how much your dedi server cost you over the past few months

on the issue of code, there are few people here who can actually code in delphi, and if you cant code at all its either a steep learning curve (which some people dont have time for, either attitude or life commitments) or the server is heavily buggy. so yes admittedly using one source code is not making each server unique it is better than having 20 buggy servers.
casing point is the dc team, there is no doubt that they were able to code, but even still the server had a number of bugs in which they struggled to fix-for people who dont have the time to put in you will end up with an even longer bug list

Crawford

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 15, 2006
Well lets be honest ... DC was an absolute mess.
They had amazing Coders .. but the Team that did the setup of the server and tweaking (GMD) was not all good ...
Youve got amazing code going on ... Nick practically fixing things "for the fun of it" and coding because he enjoys it .. Its not even work to him .. PCN/Cheeky or w/e just fixing things quickly on request. Code going on like mad ... then youve got GMDragon who can't even setup a fking dedicated box to run the files correctly.

IMO - DC was a euro Clone ... just release the entirety of the code .. was that not the original goal of the DM2 files and the LOMCN project???

Release everything , all the code , and at least then the DC team will be remembered as the people who completed / wrapped up the DM2/Lomcn project ... rather than the ****ers who wasted 3months of everyones time.

Just my 2 cents .. and OMG i soooo knew this would happen .. that was the most awkward server team EVERRRRR ...

Coders = 10/10
Everyone else just didnt have General competance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Ravagers
Game Master
Jun 13, 2003
Shock, horror!

Would be cool if they released the project to a trunk on the SVN,
if this really is the end of things, in fact i may release my files to
the SVN cos i really cba to update SVN :P

Status