mechanical keyboard suggestions

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Sorry what's a mechanical keyboard??

A regular keyboard below the keys is usually just a rubber "mat" on top of a circuit-board. The rubber hits the contacts on the board and it registers a key.

A mechanical keyboard has individual "switches" for each key.

PRIMO

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 18, 2006
Nottingham
thw woderful g/f bought me the corsair k95 i must say its awesome, anyone else looking for a mechanical gamig board check it out sooo nice to use :).

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
A regular keyboard below the keys is usually just a rubber "mat" on top of a circuit-board. The rubber hits the contacts on the board and it registers a key.

A mechanical keyboard has individual "switches" for each key.

Okay, what's the difference to the user?

PRIMO

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 18, 2006
Nottingham
different switches give a different amoutn of noise/ feedback etc, more precise keystrokes, and more durable i guess.

LionMir

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Nov 4, 2013
I have the zalman zm-k500 its ideal for me because its compact which helps because I use my razer nostromo in most games. Its cheap 2 for a mechanical.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I have the zalman zm-k500 its ideal for me because its compact which helps because I use my razer nostromo in most games. Its cheap 2 for a mechanical.

I have a Nostromo but since buying my Blackwidow I don't use it. It's mechanical or nothing for me - I may pick up an Orbweaver at some point though which is mechanical.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Okay, what's the difference to the user?

Basically Mechanical keyboard is more precise and responsive.

The typical board are "Dome" switches (Plastic rubbers underneath that get squeezed down when you press a key), the mechanical are metal I think.

Even though it is in fact proven the mechanical gives more precise and faster response times, I still think it's no different.

If I respond as a human quicker than someone else, then no keyboard is going to make up the gap lol. Plus mechanicals are horribly loud as the keys actually bang against the board, rather than a rubber dome

Some more recent mechanical boards claim to have made them "quieter" but if you check youtube for the sound difference you'll still notice it

Last edited:

PRIMO

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 18, 2006
Nottingham
dsont think most ppl buy them for any 'performance' boost. they are just alot nicer to use and feel alot smoother (with these switches cant speak for the others).

as for the noise and feel depends which switches you go for some have an audible click, where as the ones i have the noise is the key bottoming out, if i want i can type with very little noise by not fully depressing the keys. the logitech mechanical board has rubber 'o' rings under the keys to reduce this noise.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Ok, well, I don't know if mine is mechanical or not but after reading this thread frankly I don't give a ****.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Ok, well, I don't know if mine is mechanical or not but after reading this thread frankly I don't give a ****.

Ah, such a pity. Here we have a soul who has not yet used a Mechanical keyboard!

QFT, razer + logictech keyboards are just cheaply built rubber dome keyboards with macros + lights to make them look pretty and boost the price up. Although OP wanted macro keys so I just didn't bother replying earlier.

Hard to convince someone to buy such a keyboard until they try the switches out themselves. got a red switch Majestouch-2 and it's the best keyboard by far imo.

Indeed. I doubt I'll ever not use a Filco keyboard ever again tbh. I have the brown switch majestouch-2. Interesting you chose the red switch, any reason or personal preference? I always recommend new-people to mechanical keyboards to get brown switch.

ILovePie:D

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 22, 2003
Ah, such a pity. Here we have a soul who has not yet used a Mechanical keyboard!

Indeed. I doubt I'll ever not use a Filco keyboard ever again tbh. I have the brown switch majestouch-2. Interesting you chose the red switch, any reason or personal preference? I always recommend new-people to mechanical keyboards to get brown switch.

Reds just seemed the most appealing to me for what I'd be using the keyboard for, I'm not much of a typist but more of a gamer, if I'm not mistaken brown is kinda a mix/balance of blue and black, tactile for less force needed whereas the reds are completely linear with no tactile bump (same actuation force I believe) in a sense it's like typing on a cloud, very light! but I guess it's easier to make mistakes but what does that matter when you're hammering the same keys over and over in a game :)

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
can i get the macro keys to work on any programs Eg CAD?? I can see the clicky noise being a great annoyance to a member of our office who hates people clicking pens.

PRIMO

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 18, 2006
Nottingham
can i get the macro keys to work on any programs Eg CAD?? I can see the clicky noise being a great annoyance to a member of our office who hates people clicking pens.

can see why not all it does is record keystroke, or u can set your own. when u press the macro key it basically just 'presses' those keys for you.

Aldor

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 16, 2013
The razer gear is pretty good, but also verrrry expensive!

From my experience Razer make very very poor products. I would only recommend a Razer Naga due to the amount of programmable buttons they have. I personally use a Razer Naga Hex and have needed to buy 3 in the past 2 and a half years. I would buy another company's mouse if I could but sadly nothing comes close to the utility of the Razer mice.

I also had to get a refund for my Razer Megladon due to the unfix-able static sound I (and many others) got from the mic. Now using a Sennheiser headset and not looked back since.

On the subject of keyboards Logitech seems a safe bet from reviews I've read although I've never used one myself. I've personally used the same Roccat Isku gaming keyboard for 2 years and never had an issue with it, although it's not mechanical. If/when this one finally breaks I'd certainly go read some reviews of Roccat mechanical keyboards before deciding to purchase a new one.

Avoid Razer where possible!!!

Last edited:

DeadGirl

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2013
Manchester
From my experience Razer make very very poor products. I would only recommend a Razer Naga due to the amount of programmable buttons they have. I personally use a Razer Naga Hex and have needed to buy 3 in the past 2 and a half years. I would buy another company's mouse if I could but sadly nothing comes close to the utility of the Razer mice.

I also had to get a refund for my Razer Megladon due to the unfix-able static sound I (and many others) got from the mic. Now using a Sennheiser headset and not looked back since.

On the subject of keyboards Logitech seems a safe bet from reviews I've read although I've never used one myself. I've personally used the same Roccat Isku gaming keyboard for 2 years and never had an issue with it, although it's not mechanical. If/when this one finally breaks I'd certainly go read some reviews of Roccat mechanical keyboards before deciding to purchase a new keyboard.

Avoid Razer where possible!!!

That sucks pretty bad then :P, I'm just going off what me and the other-half use, mice/keyboard/keypad/xbox controller & we've never had a problem.. maybe just luck?

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
That sucks pretty bad then :P, I'm just going off what me and the other-half use, mice/keyboard/keypad/xbox controller & we've never had a problem.. maybe just luck?

nar its pretty common with razer products, iv got the exact same problem with my razer megalodan headset, sucks balls just never could be arsed to return it as i only used it for sound anyway.

been looking into these filco keyboards, they look pretty awesome tbh.