smoochy boys on tour

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/pc_case2.php?idx=4

Is this case good? From the description it seems perfect, but my main concern is the noise, i wan't to reduce the noise as my current case is rather crap and sounds like a helicopter.

The current hardware is the following:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
Nvidia geforce 6600GT 128MB Sli (this seems to make a good amoutn of noise)
Amd athlon 3000+ overclocked to 2,2Ghz with stock cooling wich came with the package (it's the boxed version).
Seagate barracuda 7200,8 200GB SATA harddrive
Maxtor something IDE/ATA? not sure wich one, well it's the previous to sata..

That should be all. Now what i want to know, how much noise will be killed, and wether it will be compatible with my hardware?

---EDIT---
I'm really unsure on what case i currently have, it seems to be some crappy second hand case to me.
---EDIT---
Ok, the case is some sort of Midi colorsIT, a 20 pound case wich is definately crap.

Last edited:

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
my case only cost 20quid, and its perdy, so why pay that much

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Umm.... Well, i still wan't a new case, seeing as i don't think you can basically remove the buzzz and the sound of the air totally, and the case i have barely makes any difference wether it is closed or opened.

What case should i get then =/?

Grim

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 24, 2004
The Silentium cases aren't that great anyway. New technology, teething problems, etc.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Gimpasaurus said:
Umm.... Well, i still wan't a new case, seeing as i don't think you can basically remove the buzzz and the sound of the air totally, and the case i have barely makes any difference wether it is closed or opened.

What case should i get then =/?

If you spend less money and get silent air coolers instead of a new case I promise it will not only be much quieter, but it will lower temps a lot too.

LyricalG said:
MentaL banned for posting a picture of a kitten?

Mental banned for 5 days for posting a picture of something very innapropriate and you are warned for spam.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Ok, i've selected some new cooling for my hardware. Tell me if the following coolers are silent, will they fit properly and whatever else i need to know.

VideoCard Cooling Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 6, rev2, Nvidia FX 5700, 6200, 6600 (GT) - 30 dollars

Arctic cooling Freezer 64 CPU cooler socket 754,939 K8 silent (how silent is it actually) HeatPipe technoligy, upto Athlon 5000+ (there are athlon 5000+'s O.o? 30 dollars

P.s if i take out my graphics card, nothing will happen right :P? I wan't to see how much noise will be removed when i replace the VCard fan.

RightGuard

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2005
I forked out a load on my case, and I've got to say i'm glad I spent every penny.

People underestimate the power of a good case, and just the ease of use.

I was originally looking at that case you were, in the end I went with thermaltake, their quality is outstanding.

This is the case I bought. Not cheap at £120.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
lol Jesus, spending all that. My computer desk has a tower compartment. All I do is close the door whenever I'm not interacting directly with the tower. It works well with keeping prying hands (kids) off too... >.< I have some really heavy cooling so it does make quite a lot of noise through the cheap casing (no acoustic padding).

Besides I usually have music on too XD

Turin

RightGuard

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2005
Turin said:
lol Jesus, spending all that. My computer desk has a tower compartment. All I do is close the door whenever I'm not interacting directly with the tower. It works well with keeping prying hands (kids) off too... >.< I have some really heavy cooling so it does make quite a lot of noise through the cheap casing (no acoustic padding).

Besides I usually have music on too XD

Turin

My case is never quiet, in fact.. it's louder than my old stock one. But it has 6 fans running in total.. where a normal computer might have 3, if not 2. So that's to be expected.

My advice if you want a quiet computer would be to go with a noise reducing case, and not a cooling/performance case. Mine makes a little more noise, but my temps are outstanding.. and when my liquid cooling kit is delivered next week it will be even better.

steve

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 20, 2005
Reading
i've found plastic cases make more noise than metal cases, my pc has 4 fasn in it and is only loud when it starts, then after around 15 seconds its silent

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
RightGuard said:
My advice if you want a quiet computer would be to go with a noise reducing case, and not a cooling/performance case. Mine makes a little more noise, but my temps are outstanding.. and when my liquid cooling kit is delivered next week it will be even better.

I got a Lian-Li with 9 fans that is pretty quiet and cools very well, you just need to find fans that are quiet.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
I bought the CPU cooler that i said i would, and god does it look big, and the way it should go on is also weird, i haven't tried yet but well i guess i'll give it a go now, and what the hell is a "retention module", they say that every motherboard should come with a AMD retention modue...

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Right well after 3 nervous breakdowns, a hour of work i finally got it attatched, well it seems to have reduced SOME noise, but the main problem really is the GFX Card cooler, i ordered it and it should be here by next monday, it's a zalman something.