PC Licence instead of TV Licence?

BottledGoods

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 17, 2005
urbanfox said:
And how do you think we got that way?

Well, what have you seen and what do you know? Effective how? Our shows are broadcasted all over the world, they are hugely popular and they make loads of profit, how are they innefective?

I've never even heard of any of those shows.
Spent a summer in Lake Bluff/Chicago 2 years ago, and i didnt mean by the shows produced after all there is alot more funding from the us, take Rome for example bbc/fox production?
Most of the imput was british but the funding had too come from the states, as there is not that kind of market, i mean the price of a slot in the superbowl is so much higher than a network would make for a whole days worth of ads in the uk i would imagine that is naturally huge advantage.
By effective i mean in the scheldules and ad breaks the main thing i noticed was that there are an excessive ammount of ad breaks on american tv. 4 ads for a 1/2 hour show?
i found uk tv struction from the broadcast point of view far more effective in that sense.
ITs not really something too have a huge argument about mind

As for the shows i lised, i wasn't expecing you too have heard of them
There very cult over here But very good hence why i said you should check them out.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
BottledGoods said:
Spent a summer in Lake Bluff/Chicago 2 years ago, and i didnt mean by the shows produced after all there is alot more funding from the us, take Rome for example bbc/fox production?
Most of the imput was british but the funding had too come from the states, as there is not that kind of market, i mean the price of a slot in the superbowl is so much higher than a network would make for a whole days worth of ads in the uk i would imagine that is naturally huge advantage.
By effective i mean in the scheldules and ad breaks the main thing i noticed was that there are an excessive ammount of ad breaks on american tv. 4 ads for a 1/2 hour show?
i found uk tv struction from the broadcast point of view far more effective in that sense.
ITs not really something too have a huge argument about mind

As for the shows i lised, i wasn't expecing you too have heard of them
There very cult over here But very good hence why i said you should check them out.

What exactly is wrong with the scheduling?

The average hour timeslot has roughly 44 minutes of time dedicated to the show. The other 16 minutes is filled in by A) external ads and B)Network scheduling updates.

We have ads because capitalism drives us.

TBH who the hell cares, especially considering we get things like Lost, the Law and Order shows, The Shield, 24, CSI, Invasion, and Monk, just to name a few.

You say our broadcasting sucks yet it produces the majority of the most popular shows in the world.

BottledGoods

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 17, 2005
i hadn't once said your broadcastin sucks, and you seem too be mistaken in shows produced and how they are aired, this argument is pointless as you keep repating the same things and you are so defensive about anyone saying anything bad about your country, you seem incredibly cool, but you have your head slightly too far up your rectum which is very rich comming from me i know.
The only issue i had with what you said is the egarness too slag off british tv but when i view opinions on american broadcasting you et overly defensive
when i try and inform you about the shows we produce since you havent seen any and are just talking about shows you know of you ignor it and assume because you havent seen them they are crap
Good day too you sir!

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
urbanfox said:

The average hour timeslot has roughly 44 minutes of time dedicated to the show. The other 16 minutes is filled in by A) external ads and B)Network scheduling updates.

We have ads because capitalism drives us.

Thank god for TV Show downloads ^_^ No Ad's ftw

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
MiloFoxburr said:
Thank god for TV Show downloads ^_^ No Ad's ftw

Damn right.

BottledGoods said:
i hadn't once said your broadcastin sucks, and you seem too be mistaken in shows produced and how they are aired, this argument is pointless as you keep repating the same things and you are so defensive about anyone saying anything bad about your country, you seem incredibly cool, but you have your head slightly too far up your rectum which is very rich comming from me i know.
The only issue i had with what you said is the egarness too slag off british tv but when i view opinions on american broadcasting you et overly defensive
when i try and inform you about the shows we produce since you havent seen any and are just talking about shows you know of you ignor it and assume because you havent seen them they are crap
Good day too you sir!

What you fail to realise is that they are directly connected. How do you think such shows get funded? Ads. So, therefore, without ads there would be no show.

So, no, I am not mistaken.

Hollywood is ran by spineless liberals, trust me when I say talking about the TV industry is not defending my country lol. If I recall the negative shift to American television shows was brought on not by me, so excuse me if I like to post my oppinion.

I never 'slagged off' british TV. The whole discussion was on a tax, I never changed it to television programming.

Where am I overly defensive? Have I become erratic? Have I slung out personal attacks? I'm simply taking another side, this is a forum discussion after all, you can't have a dicussion with one oppinion.

Well... that's because I honestly have seen any... If memory serves me right YOU said they were cultish, which doesn't nessecarily equate popularity to show quality which is why I have never heard of them. So, in your definition since I don't live in the UK, wouldn't it be natural that I havn't seen them?

Sorry, but that's ignorance on YOUR part. I NEVER said they were crap. I havn't even SEEN them for crying out loud, how can I make a judgement?

Again, you're missing the whole point.

You argue that America's broadcasting habits (TV ads) are not as effective as the UK's.

However, once again, you fail to realise WITHOUT such ads there would be no Lost or anything else.

RightGuard

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2005
urbanfox said:
You're absolutely right, damn us!

Oh wait... I forgot, we're leading the entertainment industry...

How many UK show discussions are in the TV subforum? Take a wild guess at what I'm going to ask next...

I never 'disrespected' your country. If you think posting a view of reality (especially when that reality applies to a lot of other countries, including mine...) on a very specific subject somehow criticizes an entire country then I would best advise you never get into a politcal dicussion.

That's heavily debatable.

I get involved in many political discussions. The people I debate with defend their flaws though, I would pull out an instance of when someone posted a fact about America that you disapproved of instantly, but you delete them so fast :) this is a one off for you Urban, but that's just because an admin is involved. There's a difference between being patriotic and being incepting of your own flaws.

You might be leading the entertainment industry, but I'm talking about television buddy. Not entertainment. The Simpsons is entertaining, we got it on BBC for years, 20/30? minute show made in America that ran all the way through. If I were to watch it in America it would be a split 10/15 minute show with a huge break in the middle? Yeah, great. I'd rather pay money than become an advert junkie.

Your argument is about as valid as saying your country produces the most fast food, you may well produce the most, but that doesn't mean your poison isn't fed to everyone else in the world. It's the format in which you present it meight, which I think is why you're losing this battle. We pay for the format, and new entertainment which you don't get, and entertainment which you do get.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
RightGuard said:
I get involved in many political discussions. The people I debate with defend their flaws though, I would pull out an instance of when someone posted a fact about America that you disapproved of instantly, but you delete them so fast :) this is a one off for you Urban, but that's just because an admin is involved. There's a difference between being patriotic and being incepting of your own flaws.

You might be leading the entertainment industry, but I'm talking about television buddy. Not entertainment. The Simpsons is entertaining, we got it on BBC for years, 20/30? minute show made in America that ran all the way through. If I were to watch it in America it would be a split 10/15 minute show with a huge break in the middle? Yeah, great. I'd rather pay money than become an advert junkie.

Your argument is about as valid as saying your country produces the most fast food, you may well produce the most, but that doesn't mean your poison isn't fed to everyone else in the world. It's the format in which you present it meight, which I think is why you're losing this battle. We pay for the format, and new entertainment which you don't get, and entertainment which you do get.

No, you're making this politcal, you're making this about the country, you're making it personal.

See, this is the part where I get erratic, where I get mad, where I get pissed. This forum has something called logs and they trace EVERYTHING I do. I have NOT deleted a single thing in this thread or ANY other thread because I wanted to cover up something I couldn't debate. NEVER. You want to make it personal now? Ok, go shove an apple up your ass. My integrity was NEVER a question here.

Explain, because I don't understand what you're saying. I don't post different when an admin is around, since... well... they are ALWAYS HERE.

Patriotic? It's a damn INDUSTRY. There's NOTHING to be patriotic about. YOU are twisting the conversation.

Who developed the Simpsons? The UK? No. So what's your point. Television is part of the entertainment industry...

LET ME MAKE IT AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE FOR ALL OF YOU. WITHOUT ADS THERE WOULDN'T BE SHOWS LIKE LOST OR THE SIMPSONS OR 24. PERIOD. SO IF YOU TAKE THE ADS OUT THEN YOU ALSO TAKE THE SHOWS OUT. IS IT REALLY THAT HARD OF A CONCEPT TO UNDERSTAND?

So next time you want to ***** about ads don't watch any American shows, because then you will know what no advertising brings.

Opeth

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 15, 2005
UK
urbanfox said:

See, this is the part where I get erratic, where I get mad, where I get pissed. This forum has something called logs and they trace EVERYTHING I do. I have NOT deleted a single thing in this thread or ANY other thread because I wanted to cover up something I couldn't debate. NEVER. You want to make it personal now? Ok, go shove an apple up your ass. My integrity was NEVER a question here.

Yeah, you just ban them instead

LET ME MAKE IT AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE FOR ALL OF YOU. WITHOUT ADS THERE WOULDN'T BE SHOWS LIKE LOST OR THE SIMPSONS OR 24. PERIOD. SO IF YOU TAKE THE ADS OUT THEN YOU ALSO TAKE THE SHOWS OUT. IS IT REALLY THAT HARD OF A CONCEPT TO UNDERSTAND?

Wow thanks, next time an ad break comes on ill just remember this sentence, and all of a sudden i'll start having the time of my life watching commercials for **** noone needs for the 100th time.

Let me make it as clear as possible: ad breaks are annoying.

RightGuard

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2005
urbanfox said:

Who developed the Simpsons? The UK? No. So what's your point. Television is part of the entertainment industry...

And TV licences are part of our entertainment industry, get over it.

You obviously have no concept of what advertising does to people, but we pay BBC to not brainwash us with ads telling us to go and get fat, and to sue everyone. Oops, but that's a debate for a different thread ;).

I like your patronising colouring, makes me laugh. What's the fun in having your own diary if you can't colour it in, eh?

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Opeth said:
Yeah, you just ban them instead

Wow thanks, next time an ad break comes on ill just remember this sentence, and all of a sudden i'll start having the time of my life watching commercials for **** noone needs for the 100th time.

Let me make it as clear as possible: ad breaks are annoying.

I have NEVER banned anyone for the sole purpose of that they disagreed with my oppinions. If I did, you would have been gone a long time ago.

I'm not saying their great, exciting family fun. I'm saying their a requirement in producing such shows.

I never said they weren't, but again, NO ADS NO SHOWS.

Let's make another thing clear.

The next person to post a personal attack against me get's a 3 day ban. If you have a problem then post in the complaints section, I won't have people trampling over my name with slanderous, unfounded conspiracy theories.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
RightGuard said:
And TV licences are part of our entertainment industry, get over it.

You obviously have no concept of what advertising does to people, but we pay BBC to not brainwash us with ads telling us to go and get fat, and to sue everyone. Oops, but that's a debate for a different thread ;).

I like your patronising colouring, makes me laugh. What's the fun in having your own diary if you can't colour it in, eh?

Wow. You just don't get it, do you?

Your networks license shows that never would have been there in the first place without ads :(

So, go ahead and ***** and moan and complain about ads and then go watch an American TV show for some irony.

Opeth

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 15, 2005
UK
urbanfox said:

I'm not saying their great, exciting family fun. I'm saying their a requirement in producing such shows.

yes, but as far as i could tell as I skimmed the thread noone ever doubted that, the worst they got called is 'annoying'. And seeing as we have 3 other terrestrial channels all supplying ad breaks, theres no shortage of the buggers.

Wait, what was my point again?

RightGuard

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2005
urbanfox said:
Wow. You just don't get it, do you?

Your networks license shows that never would have been there in the first place without ads :(

So, go ahead and ***** and moan and complain about ads and then go watch an American TV show for some irony.

Actually, plenty of them would have :).

Read up on your subject before you debate it mate, you'll go far. The BBC produces more independent shows than any other broadcasting network. Bloody good entertainment and most of it is pure British excellence. Oops to you.

Opeth

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 15, 2005
UK
I dont see it as ineffective, but I do see the BBC's lack of ads to be an advantage in the world of viewing pleasure.

then again im guessing that im not one of those 'certain people'. That is, I hope im not/

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
RightGuard said:
Actually, plenty of them would have :).

Read up on your subject before you debate it mate, you'll go far.The BBC produces more independent shows than any other broadcasting network. Bloody good entertainment and most of it is pure British excellence. Oops to you.

orly_copter_pilot.jpg

Really, they would have been produced without $$$$$?

Please, tell me where I'm lacking instead of making generalised statements.

You mean, in the UK.

RightGuard

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2005
urbanfox said:
orly_copter_pilot.jpg

Really, they would have been produced without $$$$$?

Please, tell me where I'm lacking instead of making generalised statements.

You mean, in the UK.

They were produced with £££££ from our TV licences, have you not been reading this thread?

You're blatant lack in knowledge is clear, as you keep referring to America when the whole topic of this thread is about the UNITED KINGDOM.

Yes, I mean in the UK. Ironically enough, we're talking about the UK.

Blaminator

VIP
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 11, 2003
London
increment i do while others keystyle
flavor to the nth goes to the nth mile
main function harness execution flow
arguments pass on and my programs slow

my fondness for subroutines
the code of machines