QR Code in shops

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Any views on QR codes in shops for people to scan and get more info on a particular product ?

Would you use it as a customer ?

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
QR code that you scan with ur phone and it brings up the dono page or paypal page would be useful imo but just clicking a link or a button ingame to open the browser is so much easier.

personally i wouldnt bother scanning QR codes for info, id probably go with a little question mark next to each item that you either click or hover over for more info about the item

• Haha
Reactions: Tai

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
I'm not too keen on using QR codes but I would like insight on the benefits of them.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
QR code that you scan with ur phone and it brings up the dono page or paypal page would be useful imo but just clicking a link or a button ingame to open the browser is so much easier.

personally i wouldnt bother scanning QR codes for info, id probably go with a little question mark next to each item that you either click or hover over for more info about the item
Thanks for the reply.

I was actually meaning when you go shopping in real life, not within game.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Easily the single most popular scam, and the easiest to succeed in doing.

The best one at the moment is scammers attaching QR codes to EV chargers, that go to scam sites and people put their credit card details into lol.

Just in case 1 day I leave my brain at home and not pay enough attention, I literally never scan a QR code out in public shops/areas unless it's on something I bought myself and trying to setup or something.

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
Easily the single most popular scam, and the easiest to succeed in doing.

The best one at the moment is scammers attaching QR codes to EV chargers, that go to scam sites and people put their credit card details into lol.

Just in case 1 day I leave my brain at home and not pay enough attention, I literally never scan a QR code out in public shops/areas unless it's on something I bought myself and trying to setup or something.
Thanks for letting us know.

Cost of living is already attracting scammers.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
What is an EV charger? Something UK specific?

I regard these QR Codes as a spoiled brats thing, those that are drunk on technologies. I mean at some point you will be glad there are any goods on shelves, never mind being able to find exactly everything about everything, if its good for your health. I grew up as one of six kids and without practically any info on any goods ROFL, and we all grew up healthy without any quirks so many pple nowadays have.

Once during covid times, I went to a Cable company outlet to exchange broken PS adapter and there was this QR code on the locked door that you needed to scan and that somehow got you inside I think ... I didn't have internet (and still don't) on my phone to connect anywhere (don't pay for data) and so was busted, no free wifi in range.

I only got somewhat up to date iphone 6 because that was given to me by a friend, can't be &*( to invest a bundle into a more capable spy box LOL
Only problem is, the phone is stuck on iOS 12 and many aps won't install, maybe soon when my bank app will update, it will tell me it won't work on my phone...

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
I only got somewhat up to date iphone 6 because that was given to me by a friend, can't be &*( to invest a bundle into a more capable spy box LOL
Only problem is, the phone is stuck on iOS 12 and many aps won't install, maybe soon when my bank app will update, it will tell me it won't work on my phone...
I'm usually the same, but I got my iPhone 7 was slowly dying, and I got an iPhone 12 Pro 2 years ago, it's such a nice phone. it feels like quality.

Reactions: mir2pion

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Yep, iphones is quality, I have lots of beef with mac OSX but phones are good. I see this trend around me that if it is a cleaning lady, she will tout the latest iphone and vice versa, many folks in upper echelons of society are content to use whatever they have given it does what they use it for.

I take care of computers for this one family and they have couple iMacs 24" & 27" that are too old now for OS newer than Yosemite and Safari won't connect to many websites and it can't be updated as its tied to OS version... but the hardware is still running as when it was new and its fast enough for what most pple use it for. I am now exploring the hacks that allow to install more up to date OS, also might buy Mini Mac and use the iMac with it as a monitor only.

All that while you can install win11 on PC that had win7 installed when new.

Reactions: Martyn

ariellatwatson

LOMCN Leecher
Mar 7, 2023
Hey there! Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to share my views on QR codes in shops. I think it's a great idea as a customer, especially if I'm interested in learning more about a particular product. It saves me time and hassle from searching online or asking a store associate.On another note, I'm new to this forum and just wanted to chime in. Have any of you heard of Smart Engines OCR SDK? It's a cool tool that can extract text from images and scan QR codes, which could be useful for implementing QR codes in shops. But don't worry, I'm not trying to sell anything - just thought I'd share some tech info with y'all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ardbeg