Recieved word from my domain provider

Join Discord

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
They have been contacted by DB online division manager discussing the legality of my site and have requested I contact her, which I havedone, to sort the problem.
She claims the company GN has reformed to the name of game media network and under the new management will not tolerate our activites and doesnt understand why they have up to now.
The email I contacted is a http://www.gmedianetworks.com/ domain.

She insists everything is shut down or further action will be taken

Anyone else been contacted?

Scorpian xxx

NickAKAVexus

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2005
New york
lol, get a new domain named Project69. You are violating their copyright obviously. Staff said recently they are gonna contact GN and ask about private servers etc. Maybe this is their action?

Or do it my way, change all details make sure they can't find out your name and your ok. haha

I use to be hosted by a company I worked for and they would help me avoid things like this and not give out any info. :)

~HeavenSent~

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 9, 2005
Chorley
Scorpian said:
They have been contacted by DB online division manager discussing the legality of my site and have requested I contact her, which I havedone, to sort the problem.
She claims the company GN has reformed to the name of game media network and under the new management will not tolerate our activites and doesnt understand why they have up to now.

Scorpian xxx

That looks pretty much like a real thing to me maybe you should just shut thelegendofmir down & get a new domin.

/HS

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
well ur dns is linked to ur server (game) so thats ur own problemo. I just got in from a night of clubbin (home early) so i r post more 2morrow, let me no on any findings since this effects me.

JoeAshton

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 4, 2006
lol >< ur not making money from it so they cant do out tbh was told only can do sum thing if u charge ppl to play

Nightwolf

Developer
VIP
Jul 16, 2003
Manchester, UK
Scorpian said:

Scorpian xxx
well i think it has something to do with this thread http://forum.gnonline.net/showthread.php?t=67030 that was posted maybe thats why they are taking action but the only people who can really take the major action is wemade i think.

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
JoeAshton said:
lol >< ur not making money from it so they cant do out tbh was told only can do sum thing if u charge ppl to play

Scorpian not making money keeping P69 online? Your joking right?

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
The problem is its all i think this i think that, does anyone actually have hard facts on the legality of anything?
I have til "monday to comply"

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
~(SPL1FF)~ said:
Scorpian not making money keeping P69 online? Your joking right?

Some people think im an idiot but I actually fork out £3100 a year on the dedicated server, which may I add has only ever let me down once and gave me a free test period.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Scorpian said:
Some people think im an idiot but I actually fork out £3100 a year on the dedicated server, which may I add has only ever let me down once and gave me a free test period.

I can personally understand a company spending £XXXX and then charging P2P as its a business but I can never understand a person paying £258 a month to allow people who you have never met play a game for Free. Are you telling me you dont get enough to cover that in donations? If so then you are indeed mad - I know I would rather spend £258 every month for the next 5 years on something I can see such as Car, House or whatever.

Unless you have had something in writing by post and it was a registered letter you had to sign for, then you have Nothing whatsoever to worry about.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
True dem, it could be just a "hoax" scorp. But i supose that with the posts made on GN forums about us having 2.3 files & p69 having "thelegendofmir.com" as a domain name, i dont blame you for being abit wary.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
No one for sure known the full legality of anything apart from them, if they wanted to though i supose they could only try and bring up a case on the name of your domain and for using/editing thier GFX/Clients as the client/server is an emu its not thier code.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Well as Xander said there are two assurities. The trademark infringement and the unauthorised distribution and modification of copyrighted material (client files). Afaik, you don't need to be a commercial venture to be liable for the aforementioned. Although if I were you, I would request that the complaint be forwarded directly to you so you are fully aware of the acusation.

If your not getting stick from your dedi server provider - just use a different legal domain with a different company. Also remember they can bring a case against you without having any real law behind them ;), then its up to your lawyer to defend your case. Intellectual Property privy solicitors and barristers cost a bomb, and you'll be extreamly lucky to get one through the magic lottery of legal aid. Just remember, its unlikely that you won't get some form of cease and desist order before a case is brought - as your ignorance to follow it makes their case so much stronger. It is however, not required.

Oh how I wish you lot weren't stupid enough to go aggrivating people around the EuroMIR forums.

/Leo

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
LeoCrasher said:
Well as Xander said there are two assurities. The trademark infringement and the unauthorised distribution and modification of copyrighted material (client files). Afaik, you don't need to be a commercial venture to be liable for the aforementioned. Although if I were you, I would request that the complaint be forwarded directly to you so you are fully aware of the acusation.

If your not getting stick from your dedi server provider - just use a different legal domain with a different company. Also remember they can bring a case against you without having any real law behind them ;), then its up to your lawyer to defend your case. Intellectual Property privy solicitors and barristers cost a bomb, and you'll be extreamly lucky to get one through the magic lottery of legal aid. Just remember, its unlikely that you won't get some form of cease and desist order before a case is brought - as your ignorance to follow it makes their case so much stronger. It is however, not required.

Oh how I wish you lot weren't stupid enough to go aggrivating people around the EuroMIR forums.

/Leo

lol it wasnt exactly Scorps fault his name/domain was posted some who goes by the name of Webby_Webster_The_3rd or similar posted "Your screwed we have the 2.3 files" or something similar along the lines of that and it went from there...

My question is with all the legal matters people have had/are getting why make matters worse? Who ever the Webby guy is he is about on LomCN and is just trying to P1ss off GN even though he has no clue what he is talking about.

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
They pushed a complaint through my domain host which cost me $20, it started off as a problem with the site and all of a sudden its a problem with the server. After asking multiple times for some legal meterial to read she ignored me.
If I do not cooperate by monday she will take it to the next level of contacting the appropriate ISPs.
She claims to be top dog of the internet diovision.

Only problem now my pc wont boot and I cant get to my emails :P

The question is, do I call her bluff?

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Scorpian said:
They pushed a complaint through my domain host which cost me $20, it started off as a problem with the site and all of a sudden its a problem with the server. After asking multiple times for some legal meterial to read she ignored me.
If I do not cooperate by monday she will take it to the next level of contacting the appropriate ISPs.
She claims to be top dog of the internet diovision.

Only problem now my pc wont boot and I cant get to my emails :P

The question is, do I call her bluff?

Call her bluff surely all that can be done then is that you'll get a legal cease and desist order dont quote me on it though lol