Your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeHeroes

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 6, 2009
Rite im planning on putting my server up on monday, however i wont be able to host it 24/7

Now i can either wait about a month to get the funds for dedi server, or just go ahead and put it up. But i dont have a static ip, so you will be kicked off every so often. And i might not be around to put it back up.

This obviously would be tempory until i can afford the dedi server, but seeing as its taken so bloody long, i just want to get it up. And let the people play :)

Can we not turn this into a flame war, i cba to argue no more :)

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Gone are the days where people are willing to play an unreliable server that could go down at any minute without notice with no idea of when it could be put back up.

Sounds like an awful idea. And how are you planning to get the money for a dedi?

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
Sound's stupid, if u cant keep it up 24 7 and stable it will be a major fail as ppl will lose interest with random crashes n ****, just wait til u can afford a dedi , i guess ur a kid who lives at home still and uses family pc lol?

DiabloDoom

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 1, 2010
Don't see how someone can't afford even a cheap Dedi for the first month at like £60, then when a few donations come in you upgrade and cover the next month.

I wouldn't bother putting it up so it goes down every night for a few hours or more, wait till you have a stable job/can afford to run the server then put it up.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Doing this will only effect your server in the long term.

Either put it up 24/7 or don't put it up at all IMO.

Omen_lom

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 29, 2006
yeah its a bad idea mate to be fair. obviously its ur choice so do what you want but you wont get many people unless it went down like an hour a day maximum. even then I guess your pushing it :P good luck with w/e you do anyways. At least your trying.

ashleyuk

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Nov 18, 2008
yeah its a bad idea mate to be fair. obviously its ur choice so do what you want but you wont get many people unless it went down like an hour a day maximum. even then I guess your pushing it :P good luck with w/e you do anyways. At least your trying.

Yer and anover server to pk noobs on :D

Any main details on server? Starter level? xp rate? Easy money? The basic stuff would be appreciated :)

PS: If it's Low rate, Start level 40-60, easy money Or Slow/pa orbs drop alot then i think my post was pointless :P

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
Why waste money on even getting a game up for others to play?

Surely you can do more with your money!

Plenty of better things I can think of to use my money on than hosting a dead game where barely anyone would play enyways.

/TheDon

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Why waste money on even getting a game up for others to play?

Surely you can do more with your money!

Plenty of better things I can think of to use my money on than hosting a dead game where barely anyone would play enyways.

/TheDon

Great input there, that's really going to help LOMCN.

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk

This whole thread yet again is a waiste, i'm pretty sure he knew the answer before he even posted but is after more attention for his server, and how many threads is there about it.... and yeh i expect another insult from ya 3heros :)

IMO, just get the server up, the quicker it fails the better as either way it will. But good luck lol.

Edit, i hope you prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND

I was giving some advice to him instead of hosting a mir2 server where his money would go to waste. Besides, there are in life much better things to be doing with money rather than hosting a game which as stated in my previous post is praticually dead. Also, what I said was simply logical.

"That's really going to help LOMCN" - To be honest mate, for years LOMCN has fallen lower and lower.

Mod's always abuse their powers, they don't listen to many people, they are barely active, they ban people for stupid things and give warning points out willy nilly and they don't help that much compared to normal users.

Mate, I could go on all day long, don't even get me started, they were just a few points off the top of my head, this whole community thinks the forums and mir in general are failing, so i'm not alone on this one.

/TheDon

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
Well its obvious your going to have a gameshop with donations, so why not just fork out the money and get ur dedi, get ur server up, and stop makin a million threads about it cause no1 cares ne more?

no offense

Reactions: Gezza

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I was giving some advice to him instead of hosting a mir2 server where his money would go to waste. Besides, there are in life much better things to be doing with money rather than hosting a game which as stated in my previous post is praticually dead. Also, what I said was simply logical.

"That's really going to help LOMCN" - To be honest mate, for years LOMCN has fallen lower and lower.

Mate, I could go on all day long, don't even get me started, they were just a few points off the top of my head, this whole community thinks the forums and mir in general are failing, so i'm not alone on this one.

/TheDon

Of course there are "better things" to spend money on, but it's personal preference what anyone does with their money. As far as I'm concerned making servers isa hobby (not one I partake in anymore but still), so if someone wants to spend money/time on their hobby then let them. Each to their own.

Wond said:
Mod's always abuse their powers, they don't listen to many people, they are barely active, they ban people for stupid things and give warning points out willy nilly and they don't help that much compared to normal users.

A little while ago I would have agreed with you, but I don't think many infractions actually get given out anymore. The rest I agree with though.

Anyway my point was that comments like yours aren't helping the situation are they.

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
Of course there are "better things" to spend money on, but it's personal preference what anyone does with their money. As far as I'm concerned making servers isa hobby (not one I partake in anymore but still), so if someone wants to spend money/time on their hobby then let them. Each to their own.

A little while ago I would have agreed with you, but I don't think many infractions actually get given out anymore. The rest I agree with though.

Anyway my point was that comments like yours aren't helping the situation are they.

I'm not trying to help neither am I trying to make the situation worse. I just stated my opinion and that's how I personally feel, not much I can change about that, they haven't done any favours for themselves have they?

As you've previously posted, you know where I'm coming from regards of my feelings towards LOMCN and I can infact gaurantee that LOMCN will not move forward, it's far too late now.

It may be his hobbie, but to spend money on getting it up to run smoothly and then find out barely anyone is going to play nevermind donating, choosing his server over others, is a complete waste of money.

I would personally never spend real life cash to host a game or get one up, **** that. I got alot more things in mind I would like to do with that cash, which would roughly be around £60-£70 for a cheap dedi.

Yes, I know it may not be much, but he could do alot more in real life with £60-£70 rather than hosting a game.

So my advice to him is simple, don't bother hosting, theres no logic to it, spending cash willy nilly on a dieing game which will probably lead to you not making the cash back nor the time and effort it took to create, design and put online the server.

That being said, Tai. Hopefully now you'll see there is no point, he is wasting his time and money which in turn will lead to him not making any profit what so ever to even help him get his time back or his money.

/TheDon

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
If you can't afford a dedi then try to find someone who will host for you, but i would wait until you could afford one.

Agree with Wond tbh, Mir servers are not getting any popular.

ashleyuk

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Nov 18, 2008
Yer i agree playin mir for around 8 years aint changed muched :( If you think about it new games and new stuff come out each year and i dont think mir has even changed much.. The only things that changed is item skins or new wings.. Mir is just goin down the road. No coders can be bothered to code for new files. I carn't see LOMCN bein as much popular to RuneScape or the Non online mini games.

But if you got some crazy ideas to add to mir without code side or PS thn it might turn out gd.

I couldnt see my self on mir 24/7 these days. Black ops comin out soon and so are a few new mmo's. Good luck though mate!

ThreeHeroes

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 6, 2009
£60 for a dedi atm if a fair bit of money, and i dont have it spare. I have looked for a host, but every1 i have spoke with dont have a static IP. Ermm dont really know what to do lol, may just put it up at 8am leave it during the day, from what i remem my ip changes around 4-5. Then when i get home put it back up for the night.

But like people have posted, any problems with reliability people quit. If any1 here has a static IP and a fairly decent pc, and wouldnt mind hosting for a couple of weeks let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.