Legend of Mir 2 - Valkyrie

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
Join Discord

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
i think hes a one man squad, but hes one man who seems already better than the apoc team, just the amount of exploits and scandals that happened in the first 10 days of their server was *inaudible* joke, knob jocks.

It's very easy to criticise a server when it's been out for a while and been through its ups and downs. If a 3man team struggled to handle their overwhelming playerbase, I'd just like to know how this 1man team plans to tackle the same issues.

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003
It's very easy to criticise a server when it's been out for a while and been through its ups and downs. If a 3man team struggled to handle their overwhelming playerbase, I'd just like to know how this 1man team plans to tackle the same issues.

I think at the start the apoc team were very visible and very helpful, after a month or so they seemed to just give up and took a massive step back

Also the inability to fix certain things that were quite gamebreaking at the time didn't help, throw in some exploits which were conveniently brushed under the carpet and you have yourself a disillusioned playerbase.

edit- on topic, this server does look top notch in terms of freshness/unique mir feel - im not sure how this will pan out after a month or so though!

Hopefully the GM stays as active as he has been!

astrix

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
i would try but a new account.. put me off got to be reason youve made a new account. maybe on live date if 200+ i may give a go but not a great start like to know what money grabbers are making what ect theirs a few that was in makeing so just interested to see whos the one man team

Last edited:

Vagrant

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2004
Romania
Why are you people talking about another server in this man's thread? are there no more mods here?

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016

To be fair their server was in a constant state of not just balancing but certain skills needed mechnical changes, it's basically a long beta to my eyes (I've played the server only handful of times + saw over their threads/patches) which has consumed a lot of their time + imo they were probably being too careful with banning people for obvious offenses. You're also assuming that they are struggling? was it a 3 man rotation btw looking over server all day? if that was the case thats just one man observing/admin most or all day.

If a game is released with all the essentials in place for fairly balanced pve+pvp, no bugs and cashshop functions , then that just leaves content and managing cheaters. I mean i'm sure your well clued up on Jamie's scenerio, he was essentially a 1 man show but he added content that was changing the mechanics and balance of the game that was giving him headaches non stop with the amount of community backlash (not to mention gameshop decisions), his servers were essentially beta testing too!

Basically Jamie has always done the 1 man show but you're saying someone else couldn't ;/

Why are you people talking about another server in this man's thread? are there no more mods here?

Just mir community m8 i guess, I understand what you mean tho, but I end up jumpin on the bandwagon too it's others fault! xD

Last edited:

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Basically Jamie has always done the 1 man show but you're saying someone else couldn't ;/

Jamies "1 man show" server failed for a reason. He had no help and tried to implement all his crazy ideas himself with nobody to prevent the bad.

There's a reason Zircon stays alive, it's because there's a team. Apoc has done so well because they're a team.

I just struggle to see how one person is going to manage a potential 250+ usercount throwing constant aggro, whines about balance and complaints over content. If you need another example look at Archons. Lets assume he has a job irl to handle as well, that's not a lot of time in a week to dedicate to your users.

Let me just say I've logged on and played the server - it's the smoothest c# files I've ever played and it feels really fun to play. Just concerned a one man (who wants to remain anonymous, as well, which is a red flag to me) team isn't going to cut it in the long run.

But I hope i'm proved wrong, as everything I've seen has been nothing but promising.

Last edited:

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Jamies "1 man show" server failed for a reason. He had no help and tried to implement all his crazy ideas himself with nobody to prevent the bad.

There's a reason Zircon stays alive, it's because there's a team. Apoc has done so well because they're a team.

I just struggle to see how one person is going to manage a potential 250+ usercount throwing constant aggro, whines about balance and complaints over content. If you need another example look at Archons. Lets assume he has a job irl to handle as well, that's not a lot of time in a week to dedicate to your users.

Let me just say I've logged on and played the server - it's the smoothest c# files I've ever played and it feels really fun to play. Just concerned a one man (who wants to remain anonymous, as well, which is a red flag to me) team isn't going to cut it in the long run.

But I hope i'm proved wrong, as everything I've seen has been nothing but promising.

Doesn't all crystal servers feel smooth or you just referring on the game-play?

stephens_l

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 30, 2003

My 2 cents,

From someone who is also working as a one man show (with a little help from a friend who gathers content), i don't believe its a big deal that its only him. If the necessary groundwork is put in beforehand (code, game design and rigorous testing) it shouldn't be too much of an issue to keep on top of things.

Also, he hasn't really specified what level user count he is aiming to cater for, for all we know he might be happy with 50-100? / That may be all it gets? Especially with a few new servers on the horizon, the user base will no doubt be split for the first few months. Lets not put a negative spin on things before hes even got going. :encouragement:

As for team members without names or track records, (this isnt a dig but..) Lightbringer has Premus Mir (i assume doing the bulk of his coding).

His account is new and no one knows anything about him. lol. No one has mentioned that and why should they really?

If a server team isn't trustworthy in any way it all comes out in the end. If they don't wish to reveal themselves then let them get on with it i say. Time always reveals all. lol

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
My 2 cents,

From someone who is also working as a one man show (with a little help from a friend who gathers content), i don't believe its a big deal that its only him. If the necessary groundwork is put in beforehand (code, game design and rigorous testing) it shouldn't be too much of an issue to keep on top of things.

Also, he hasn't really specified what level user count he is aiming to cater for, for all we know he might be happy with 50-100? / That may be all it gets? Especially with a few new servers on the horizon, the user base will no doubt be split for the first few months. Lets not put a negative spin on things before hes even got going. :encouragement:

As for team members without names or track records, (this isnt a dig but..) Lightbringer has Premus Mir (i assume doing the bulk of his coding).

His account is new and no one knows anything about him. lol. No one has mentioned that and why should they really?

If a server team isn't trustworthy in any way it all comes out in the end. If they don't wish to reveal themselves then let them get on with it i say. Time always reveals all. lol

I am doing the bulk of my coding :(

But I would never judge a server on how its ran until its been put into practice.
The main things that need urgent attention are stuff that can break a server (so something people can abuse, reap the rewards and when its patched the people who didnt get it are way behind (same for caves that have **** tons of exp - so having a cave give 10k exp a mob when it should be 2, realising after a group of hardcore players have farmed the crap out of it and changing it to 2k again, so the casuals start to feel the gap even more))

like people have said, if there isnt a ton of reactive work needed, it makes it a lot easier!

stephens_l

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 30, 2003
I am doing the bulk of my coding :(

But I would never judge a server on how its ran until its been put into practice.
The main things that need urgent attention are stuff that can break a server (so something people can abuse, reap the rewards and when its patched the people who didnt get it are way behind (same for caves that have **** tons of exp - so having a cave give 10k exp a mob when it should be 2, realising after a group of hardcore players have farmed the crap out of it and changing it to 2k again, so the casuals start to feel the gap even more))

like people have said, if there isnt a ton of reactive work needed, it makes it a lot easier!

lol sorry, i just assumed he was your "coder". I know you have some code knowledge but didn't know you were able to do some of the additions ive seen on your server. Well done!

And yes i totally agree, preparation is key.

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003
1 man band, 10man band couldnt give a **** really lol, so long as the server is fun and the GM isnt corrupt i'll happily play and donate.

Lol at all the nay sayers whinging coz they dont know who the guy is

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
All c# servers feel a bit slow/janky to run around on. On these files it's comparable to Marble/Zircon/Chronicles.

It’s beyond smooth, kinda feels like when I changed and upgraded from 56k a.o.l :lol Really nice especially for pvp.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
All c# servers feel a bit slow/janky to run around on. On these files it's comparable to Marble/Zircon/Chronicles.

I might try it.

Does it use DX? What changes he did? kinda strange to feel 'smoother' than smooth base that Mir2 dont use shadows, has lower img quality etc.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I'm not sure if you can blame this on the programming language. Mir in general is janky because of the lack of frames.

You could rewrite it in any language and it would be exactly the same as crystal/zircon

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I'm not sure if you can blame this on the programming language. Mir in general is janky because of the lack of frames.

You could rewrite it in any language and it would be exactly the same as crystal/zircon

Its basic how you set frames per ms, not throwing **** to Zircon or w/e just that jamie raised step movement and did some frames changes on ms.

meijiz

Banned
Banned
May 17, 2017
besides the pet rental system other things r fine, rent a sub boss at early lvl, other ppl gonna have some hard time fighting u, especially those whales who willing to pay real cash for the in game gold so they can keep spamming til they get a nice pet, be far more advanced than others who couldnt afford to spam

deano13

StopMeFast
Golden Oldie
Oct 31, 2004
London, England
besides the pet rental system other things r fine, rent a sub boss at early lvl, other ppl gonna have some hard time fighting u, especially those whales who willing to pay real cash for the in game gold so they can keep spamming til they get a nice pet, be far more advanced than others who couldnt afford to spam

Agree it’s a decent server, but the pet rental system.... meh -.- kinda puts me off!

gav

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 7, 2014
hi just wandered when the server is being wiped and its goin live