AceM2 - The next generation of Mir

smoochy boys on tour

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The interface in standard mode is a weakness in the looks of these files. Too much embellishment that has little practical purpose. So old.
I also note "Wet" as an abbreviation for weight. Using a proper word as an abbreviation doesn't work. Something like Wgt might work better or perhaps an image ?

On another note, is it possible to have a user option to turn off the keyboard letter press for skills and windows etc. ? Clicking icons is so much better and avoids getting clogged up mid fight with windows opening when having the wrong chat mode set or forgetting to press the return key.

Bottomboard interface is straight from Shanda (Wet and all). It's actually now my favourite interface it just looks great ingame, it's also designed to be familiar. For those that want something different they can use the smaller Interface. We may make minor tweaks but the interfaces are locked in and won't be changed for the foreseeable future.

The files contain a complete custom keymapping feature via an ini so yes if you wish you can turn all those off. You'd be the first I've ever heard ask that though lol

Nemo

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
UK -Manchester
It will allow us to do Fog like we wanted too on Heroes and yes potentially other Weather effects in the future with no performance hits

Good to hear, I hope its done right graphically and made to suit MiR properly. A good weather system would just finish off the effort with the lighting system.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
After playing things like Lineage 2, it's so much easier using just mouse and some f keys. Getting a help screen come up by pressing H when typing Hi is just one of many Mir annoyances.
Talking of f keys, true macros would be a great addition. Not just text macros or some occasional @ user command but a series of actions, perhaps combinations of F key attack sequences or targeting whereby you can have an action to auto target the next mob or even target the mob of a group member to assist them. This might be achieved with an option linked on the group member health window.

Another totally different idea is for a a new pvp attack mode where you don't need to use the shift key, targeting your opponent. Instead, have it the same as mob whereby the target is retained until you click away on something else.

Nemo

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
UK -Manchester
Custom button mapping would be great actually, being able to use a keypad ftw!

auto-targetting people in pvp, would just be ridiculous and make it easy.

Last edited:

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Good to hear, I hope its done right graphically and made to suit MiR properly. A good weather system would just finish off the effort with the lighting system.

Fog/Rain/Snow, or any other weather feature would be a matter of about 2 lines of additional code with the light system... You would automatically have colour attributes as part of it also, so you can change the colour of your weather :O Chocolate Rain...

Sam

Nemo

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
UK -Manchester
Fog/Rain/Snow, or any other weather feature would be a matter of about 2 lines of additional code with the light system... You would automatically have colour attributes as part of it also, so you can change the colour of your weather :O Chocolate Rain...

Sam

Ha, great. Just a matter of tweaking the particles so they are properly visible in Mir and look good, correct angle etc., and correctly rendering it. Oh and making it a looped animation, would probably need to be within 20 frames for Mir? Or would that not be much an issue now? assuming it would be built with its own weather Wils

TheMasterGee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 23, 2003

Sam
Variation on this....

.. if you watch TheWalkingDead, it would be nice to have an atmospheric effect which is similar to that green/brown/foggy look in the titles - for example in a zombie dungeon.

.. dusty type fog for... old crypt places like zt..

Not thick fog effects, just something subtle to add to the atmosphere. Kinda secretly hoping each map has audio to it if required too.

Nemo

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
UK -Manchester
Variation on this....

.. if you watch TheWalkingDead, it would be nice to have an atmospheric effect which is similar to that green/brown/foggy look in the titles - for example in a zombie dungeon.

.. dusty type fog for... old crypt places like zt..

Not thick fog effects, just something subtle to add to the atmosphere. Kinda secretly hoping each map has audio to it if required too.

Yeh this is the kind of thing I'm on about too. Otherwise you'd have all these atmospherics in provinces and nothing in caves where people generally spend more of their time.

What do you mean by 'having audio to it'? Music on diff maps like mir3 had for provinces? or water drips and other ambient noises of that sort?

TheMasterGee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 23, 2003
Ambient would be great. If you could introduce something like 3x audio controls, Music/Ambient/Actions, that'd polish the game. Hard to comment on what you guys can introduce or not - but considering the tremendous lighting etc, it's probably not that much of an obstacle for you ;)

Audio-content is a challenge tho. I mean if you have a bunch of new areas, where the heck do you come up with suitable music ? Unless you recycle it ? Ambient can be 'borrowed' from sources on the net, there are even free ones for effects etc..

Tricky.

Some of Mir3's music was one of the better things about the game (didn't enjoy Mir3 too much... didn't control right for me, coming from Mir2).

I do know that a load of people were upset that the original Mir theme went missing on some versions of the files.

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Lovely job guys, its been a while since i last visited this site to see how things have been progressing within the mir scene or if it was even still going, i must say this was a pleasant surprise. its great to see people still putting effort into the community, loving the look of the mir3 maps its something we could have only dreamt about back in the day being able to use mir3 maps without having to move over to clunky mir3 loosing the whole mir2 feel. thats not to mention the new features you have implemented too, i will defiantly be having a play with these files once avail.

Keep up the hard work team!

BleH

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 14, 2004
Bristol, UK, England
bad luck for you then the game is capped with vertical sync thus capped at 60 fps
since most monitors are also only 60 fps
I have a 144hz monitor so I can make use of the extra frame rates.

Client download for the Test Server can be found in the new thread in Upcoming Servers. Test Server is still going live next Saturday, we'll lock down a time sooner to the date.

Regarding performance discussion etc the files are vsync'd so will be capped at the maximum Frame Rate that your Monitor supports. On Heroes we didn't have a hope in hell of being able to blend colours like we do with the new files. It will allow us to do Fog like we wanted too on Heroes and yes potentially other Weather effects in the future with no performance hits
Thanks for reply milo

Jacko

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2011
the netherlands
andy having a higher hz monitor will not give higher frame rates i also can be that they just capped it at the maximum vsync standard cause fps above your monitor it's max can cause tearing
this creates weird black thing's in the screen.
but also high fps is bad with weather effect's
i found that out with testing speedhacks on heroes and at 1.5X the normal fps the weather effect start's to multiply in itself and whole your screen turns white and laggs very badly

BleH

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 14, 2004
Bristol, UK, England
andy having a higher hz monitor will not give higher frame rates
no my graphics card and processor give me the frame rates the monitor allows me to view them
i also can be that they just capped it at the maximum vsync standard cause fps above your monitor it's max can cause tearing
this creates weird black thing's in the screen.
but also high fps is bad with weather effect's
i found that out with testing speedhacks on heroes and at 1.5X the normal fps the weather effect start's to multiply in itself and whole your screen turns white and laggs very badly
My monitor natively supports 144FPS (its a 144hz monitor) so vsync will allow 144fps with no tearing.
(Its not a standard monitor its designed for gaming)

SlippitySchlong

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 25, 2013
no my graphics card and processor give me the frame rates the monitor allows me to view them

My monitor natively supports 144FPS (its a 144hz monitor) so vsync will allow 144fps with no tearing.
(Its not a standard monitor its designed for gaming)
Stop harping on, it's mir 2. You don't need uber fps...