Other Apocalypse V2 - DATA BREACH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lose

Banned
Banned
Aug 13, 2020
There was a data breach yesterday from Apocalypse V2, in which their database information was leaked and used on another server for marketing purposes.

As no one yet knows the full extend of the data breach, people can only assume that all names, email addresses, passwords, usernames etc were leaked. Until this is confirmed by the Apocalypse team, it should be assumed that a full breach of the database is the likely scenario.

If any of you played Apocalypse V2, I would highly recommend that everyone changes their passwords and checks any accounts linked that may have the same password used.

Also a note to people to ensure you use unique passwords and are always careful with your information!

• Haha
Reactions: SmavidDavid

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Passwords shouldn't be stored in plain text, we've got it and I think many do now, where passwords aren't visible to gms at all

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Passwords shouldn't be stored in plain text, we've got it and I think many do now, where passwords aren't visible to gms at all
They shouldn't, but they were at one point in time and we don't know if Apoc v2 added the patch to encrypt/hide passwords to GM's.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
They shouldn't, but they were at one point in time and we don't know if Apoc v2 added the patch to encrypt/hide passwords to GM's.
Oh it's always just to plan for the worst, more just highlighting why it's good to protect user data

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
hahaha... ye watch im going to hack you all like I have done for years! your gold is all mine.

I wouldn't even bother logging on your **** server to even try hack someone Win.

Anyone that uses the same password on all MIR PRIVATE SERVERS is asking to be hacked.

ipwnu

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2015
hahaha... ye watch im going to hack you all like I have done for years! your gold is all mine.

I wouldn't even bother logging on your **** server to even try hack someone Win.

Anyone that uses the same password on all MIR PRIVATE SERVERS is asking to be hacked.
I like gold fish.

syke

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 24, 2011

It’s still a valid point, so data was shared with you?

Lose

Banned
Banned
Aug 13, 2020
Bon:

"The mailing list is a combination of anyone that's signed up to any of my OR Hany's servers, so that would be ThreeHeroes, FourHeroes, FiveHeroes, OldSkool v1, Paragon Infinity, and Apoc v2."

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Data that noone agreed or allowed to be shared, reason number 1 why companies add privacy policies explaining exactly what your data is used for

syke

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 24, 2011
Right we have had that people make private servers as a business, then run them as one. I’m sorry yeah the players are to blame in many aspects also some are dog crap. But it’s things like this that the “**** don’t stick” GM’s think that’s fine.

It might just be an email address to share an email but did anyone consent to that? GDPR isn’t valid here because nobody gives a crap but it’s a joke tbh. (Edit: btw it applies to everyone but my point in this is showing you clearly don’t care)

I was not aware that my info would be shared. And the “asking to be hacked” is an insult. Yes you should use different passwords but what if someone didn’t? They would be expecting it shared that’s for sure.

What’s worse about this ‘leak’ is that it’s just non taking it and thinking it’s fine and everyone else is dumb.

Mods- can someone request all servers add a disclaimer about sharing info? A breach is one thing but giving it away…

Coming from the guy who said “it’s business” is even worse.

Reactions: Lose

Shurikan

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 15, 2018
Right we have had that people make private servers as a business, then run them as one. I’m sorry yeah the players are to blame in many aspects also some are dog crap. But it’s things like this that the “**** don’t stick” GM’s think that’s fine.

It might just be an email address to share an email but did anyone consent to that? GDPR isn’t valid here because nobody gives a crap but it’s a joke tbh. (Edit: btw it applies to everyone but my point in this is showing you clearly don’t care)

I was not aware that my info would be shared. And the “asking to be hacked” is an insult. Yes you should use different passwords but what if someone didn’t? They would be expecting it shared that’s for sure.

What’s worse about this ‘leak’ is that it’s just non taking it and thinking it’s fine and everyone else is dumb.

Mods- can someone request all servers add a disclaimer about sharing info? A breach is one thing but giving it away…

Coming from the guy who said “it’s business” is even worse.
How is the information being shared if Ben already said the information is obtained from servers him or hany have been a part of.
The information is just from previous servers that they have been a part of before and the details you have given them to create an account on their servers in the past. The information as therefore not come from other sources (other gms) since they was involved with the servers and would have access to this information you gave over.
So how is this a leak?

syke

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 24, 2011
How is the information being shared if Ben already said the information is obtained from servers him or hany have been a part of.
The information is just from previous servers that they have been a part of before and the details you have given them to create an account on their servers in the past. The information as therefore not come from other sources (other gms) since they was involved with the servers and would have access to this information you gave over.
So how is this a leak?

Ok not a leak. But used my info without my consent, Apoc did not release a statement when I signed up that my information would be shared.

Therefore I did not consent/know my information would be passed on. A disregard for any personal data.

Reactions: James

syke

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 24, 2011
Would you say taking data without consent if still fine? Data has been shared unwillingly

Reactions: James

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
End of the day, people that used emails on Apoc (and only apoc) are now getting emails about oldskool. so one way or another Apocs data has been shared with Bon.

Bon claims he has nothing to do with Apoc, but Hany was the coder for Apoc, so the data was leaked by Hany to Bon for his marketing of OldSkool. Yes technically Hany was on the Apoc team, but its not his data to share/sell, its the players data.

I for one didn't agree or expect to be getting junk emails about OldSkool (or any other server for that matter) when signing up for Apoc

Reactions: James and syke

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
End of the day, people that used emails on Apoc (and only apoc) are now getting emails about oldskool. so one way or another Apocs data has been shared with Bon.

Bon claims he has nothing to do with Apoc, but Hany was the coder for Apoc, so the data was leaked by Hany to Bon for his marketing of OldSkool. Yes technically Hany was on the Apoc team, but its not his data to share/sell, its the players data
A lot of assumptions there that data has been leaked to me and that I sent a marketing campaign dont you think.
Still on that hate train I see.

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
A lot of assumptions there that data has been leaked to me and that I sent a marketing campaign dont you think.
Still on that hate train I see.
Paint it whatever way you want, there has been a breach of emails/possibly other data from Apocs database, and that breach has lead to a marketing campaign promoting your new server.

Status
Not open for further replies.