Best files to use at the moment?

smoochy boys on tour

sarafino

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 21, 2012
Everything you say is completely understandable, and it is definitely fair enough from that standpoint.

I couldn't agree more about the amount of money grabbing servers that come up and then get shut down, it's frustrating, but by now, players should be able to tell by the limited effort of a server that it isn't one for the long haul. They should be smarter.Or maybe some people have more money than they can spend!

With the lack of development of server files, this probably comes down to the fact that there just isn't all that many people left that can or are willing to contribute these days, like you say, it's not longer a huge community. Of course the file stability and feel contributes hugely to how successful a server may be, but from a players perspective, the best server will be the one that is most enjoyable when playing, content wise etc. I'll never claim I know much or even anything really about the server side / coding side of it all, as I simply put don't.

Back in the days of TD's 2.3 files, everyone was limited to what they could use, yet servers thrived over others due to it being so much more enjoyable on one server compared to another. Why can't this happen now? One set (Much better than what is available etc etc) of files, and then it is simply over to a server creator to 'wow' us and make us play their server over another.Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic haha.

As far as the release, I would not expect constant updates to the files from Sam. As far as I would be concerned, once they are at least out there, it is up to others to compete. If the release was to be done, then I would not suggest up to the very minute files, that would be as you say, an easy chronicles remake, although imo it just wouldn't make sense, who would play it? But if it contained at least some form of cheat detection/block that would probably be more than enough for many.

It's a shame you've come to regret releasing work as you have in the past, as I'm sure many have appreciated it immensely. People will always profit off of others in all kinds of scenarios, that's life unfortunately. But I'd like to think the appreciation you've gained over the past at least helps to ease the regret!

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
What the Mir Community benefits from is well supported and stable servers and frankly the only way to have that is to have source and a coder(s). Mir hasn't been as well populated as it is now in years. We have 2 very successful servers in Chronicles and Arcadia with a 3rd Server from Bon coming soon. Then we have 11 other servers that are online across Mir2 and Mir3 if you look @ the Mir Server List.

I have to agree with this and I think it's better for everyone to be playing a smaller number of servers rather than having them spread 10-20 players per server which was the case about 2 years ago

TheMasterGee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 23, 2003
Thing is Milo, and don't think for a minute that the vast majority of us don't respect the work that's done over the many years and is ongoing (individually and separately which is what's unfortunate), Chronicles came along to show several hundred interested people on the basis that it came out on, and the team that was initially with it. As time has gone on, the population is a few hundred, as is Arcadia, as is HeroesEU, as will Ben's and so on. Totalling several hundred I expect amongst all of them.

Reason being, atleast from the reflection of these forums, they're commenced playing on, then succumb to the same issues time after time, dwindled away population wize as others turn up - and to be honest, how a Heroes variant (or Ruby for that matter) can compete on a population level with an AceM2 variant is baffling to us. Whilst also baffling us how so many people are working on the same goal (the best Mir2 engine ultimately) separately and on a separate basis.

I'm not going to say anymore in this post cos it looks disrespectful, and it's not my intention. We/I'm confused about the profit angle unless it's through credit over monies. Is it that much ? The community know's where most of the credit for what lies, if that counts for anything. Even those who don't (or rarely) post here.

I fear Sam will buckle under the workload and the continuing players/and/or/attitudes, or even the pace of what needs doing - and that's a massive shame as far as AceM2/Chronicles is concerned. And from what some people post, there are some other versions of AceM2 with different things "fixed" - of course we don't know that for sure, people talk alot within Mir. Always have done. Then we have the speed that C# is coming along at.

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
Everything you say is completely understandable, and it is definitely fair enough from that standpoint.

I couldn't agree more about the amount of money grabbing servers that come up and then get shut down, it's frustrating, but by now, players should be able to tell by the limited effort of a server that it isn't one for the long haul. They should be smarter.Or maybe some people have more money than they can spend!

With the lack of development of server files, this probably comes down to the fact that there just isn't all that many people left that can or are willing to contribute these days, like you say, it's not longer a huge community. Of course the file stability and feel contributes hugely to how successful a server may be, but from a players perspective, the best server will be the one that is most enjoyable when playing, content wise etc. I'll never claim I know much or even anything really about the server side / coding side of it all, as I simply put don't.

Back in the days of TD's 2.3 files, everyone was limited to what they could use, yet servers thrived over others due to it being so much more enjoyable on one server compared to another. Why can't this happen now? One set (Much better than what is available etc etc) of files, and then it is simply over to a server creator to 'wow' us and make us play their server over another.Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic haha.

As far as the release, I would not expect constant updates to the files from Sam. As far as I would be concerned, once they are at least out there, it is up to others to compete. If the release was to be done, then I would not suggest up to the very minute files, that would be as you say, an easy chronicles remake, although imo it just wouldn't make sense, who would play it? But if it contained at least some form of cheat detection/block that would probably be more than enough for many.

It's a shame you've come to regret releasing work as you have in the past, as I'm sure many have appreciated it immensely. People will always profit off of others in all kinds of scenarios, that's life unfortunately. But I'd like to think the appreciation you've gained over the past at least helps to ease the regret!

Agree with all of your posts... We are on the same wave length lol! Everyones used to having to code this and that but Mir isnt all about coding some uber cool stuff I'd prefer a alphafrozen base over any of these servers up at the moment(cant comment on Arcadia) as they were actually fun but these days people think everyone wants new things coded all the time lol.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Thing is Milo, and don't think for a minute that the vast majority of us don't respect the work that's done over the many years and is ongoing (individually and separately which is what's unfortunate), Chronicles came along to show several hundred interested people on the basis that it came out on, and the team that was initially with it. As time has gone on, the population is a few hundred, as is Arcadia, as is HeroesEU, as will Ben's and so on. Totalling several hundred I expect amongst all of them.

Reason being, atleast from the reflection of these forums, they're commenced playing on, then succumb to the same issues time after time, dwindled away population wize as others turn up - and to be honest, how a Heroes variant (or Ruby for that matter) can compete on a population level with an AceM2 variant is baffling to us. Whilst also baffling us how so many people are working on the same goal (the best Mir2 engine ultimately) separately and on a separate basis.

I'm not going to say anymore in this post cos it looks disrespectful, and it's not my intention. We/I'm confused about the profit angle unless it's through credit over monies. Is it that much ? The community know's where most of the credit for what lies, if that counts for anything. Even those who don't (or rarely) post here.

I fear Sam will buckle under the workload and the continuing players/and/or/attitudes, or even the pace of what needs doing - and that's a massive shame as far as AceM2/Chronicles is concerned. And from what some people post, there are some other versions of AceM2 with different things "fixed" - of course we don't know that for sure, people talk alot within Mir. Always have done. Then we have the speed that C# is coming along at.

Err what's so special about Ace?

TheMasterGee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 23, 2003
Err what's so special about Ace?
Not so far as what Ace is, but look at the pull Chronicles got when it was announced it was launching. Several hundred people showed up.

It could have been written in an assembly version, it didn't make a difference, what made the difference was the pull and the structure of the team initially.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
People just think it could be the upgrade from 2.3 TD or heroes i guess.

Ruby should have been the upgrade from dm2.3

Rather than pester Sam for his files your time might be better spent nagging kyndig to get working again, as he only does it to release. I've only seen feedback from a handful of people in his latest threads

Not so far as what Ace is, but look at the pull Chronicles got when it was announced it was launching. Several hundred people showed up.

It could have been written in an assembly version, it didn't make a difference, what made the difference was the pull and the structure of the team initially.

I agree with that, in your other post it sounded like you were saying a heroes server couldn't possibly compare to an ace server

Last edited:

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

I couldn't agree more about the amount of money grabbing servers that come up and then get shut down, it's frustrating, but by now, players should be able to tell by the limited effort of a server that it isn't one for the long haul. [They should be smarter.Or maybe some people have more money than they can spend!

If having up to date files is not key to a successful server then Heroes and Ruby (and even TD's 2.3 should suffice) I can only speak for Heroes since I personally worked on it but it has features that the majority of servers never touched. In the end though servers using closed source (or non updated source) will eventually fail. If they're successful people can and do build cheats. Without access to code or frequent updates from a coder you fight a battle you cannot win which will have it's toll and eventually make you quit. It's the nature of the game now so yes Sam would have to release updated binaries quite frequently. It's another strain I believe he doesn't need.

Bear in mind I don't regret doing it, I love Mir. I'm very proud that I've helped keep this scene alive as long as it has. It may not be much to some people but Mir has been a huge part of my life for 13 years and I've made many long term friends from it. I'd go back and change somethings that I think would of made Mir better sooner. That's what I regret, not doing certain things when I should have. The benefit of hindsight I guess.

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
Any files can be successful if you have a server with decent structure, balance and content. Ofcourse though files do offer different features but these are not what solely makes up a successful server.

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008

Rather than pester Sam for his files your time might be better spent nagging kyndig to get working again, as he only does it to release. I've only seen feedback from a handful of people in his latest threads
I'm not nagging or pestering anyone for anything tbh as its pointless if anything was to be released it would of been weeks if not months ago so its clear for everyone to see the Mir community has changed and not as helpful cause everyone thinks if some new files get released people will use them as a cash cow. Even an admin who may have done alot for LOMCN in the past has stopped files being released and his reason is the cash cow bit judging by posts on here?

TheMasterGee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 23, 2003

This is where the community is at; kyndig does have work and sporadically releases - which is fair. td has his own stuff going on I have no doubt. Half a dozen people are helping Ben (I believe) to grow on jamie's C# work, which may lead to forks of that coding. Sam is working on Chronicles; Arcadia is being constantly dev'd by another team. And we know there are variants of all of these being worked on separately by other people, some just so they can eff about on a private basis themselves with no view of outward hosting.

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
If having up to date files is not key to a successful server then Heroes and Ruby (and even TD's 2.3 should suffice) I can only speak for Heroes since I personally worked on it but it has features that the majority of servers never touched. In the end though servers using closed source (or non updated source) will eventually fail. If they're successful people can and do build cheats. Without access to code or frequent updates from a coder you fight a battle you cannot win which will have it's toll and eventually make you quit. It's the nature of the game now so yes Sam would have to release updated binaries quite frequently. It's another strain I believe he doesn't need.

Bear in mind I don't regret doing it, I love Mir. I'm very proud that I've helped keep this scene alive as long as it has. It may not be much to some people but Mir has been a huge part of my life for 13 years and I've made many long term friends from it. I'd go back and change somethings that I think would of made Mir better sooner. That's what I regret, not doing certain things when I should have. The benefit of hindsight I guess.

Cheats will always be around, people made 1.4 servers for years even though cheats were around they just dealt with them... same as 1.9 and 2.3... every game has cheats and always will have but that doesnt mean new things need coded just cause someone has cheats... start of Chronicles people were packet editing on quests and using it to exploit the prizes and its still probably going on now... but Ive not logged on for months.

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Cheats will always be around, people made 1.4 servers for years even though cheats were around they just dealt with them... same as 1.9 and 2.3... every game has cheats and always will have but that doesnt mean new things need coded just cause someone has cheats... start of Chronicles people were packet editing on quests and using it to exploit the prizes and its still probably going on now... but Ive not logged on for months.

That was fixed once it was revealed. Don't get hung up on the cheat aspect of my post. It is not the main reason for the files not being released.

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
That was fixed once it was revealed. Don't get hung up on the cheat aspect of my post. It is not the main reason for the files not being released.

Yeah i thought it may of been fixed by now but just thought I'd use it as an example :P

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I'm not nagging or pestering anyone for anything tbh as its pointless if anything was to be released it would of been weeks if not months ago so its clear for everyone to see the Mir community has changed and not as helpful cause everyone thinks if some new files get released people will use them as a cash cow. Even an admin who may have done alot for LOMCN in the past has stopped files being released and his reason is the cash cow bit judging by posts on here?

Pester was just a bad choice of words

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Any files can be successful if you have a server with decent structure, balance and content. Ofcourse though files do offer different features but these are not what solely makes up a successful server.

This exactly.. most of the features that different files bring are as they are named.. features.. most of the best features are aesthetically pleasing. If you dont have the basics done well your finished before you start. That is what a lot of server seems to miss.. rammed with features and quests and soo many things to do but the actual playability of the server is lost in all that and seems forgotten.. no thought put into the actual whole base of the gameplay.

Yeah i thought it may of been fixed by now but just thought I'd use it as an example :P

And this also, lets be fair every game has cheats... if you block them they will make new ones, there will be parts of the game people can exploit and they will find them.. look at how many different types of exploits that have been found over the year. Yes you can do your best to block them but they are always gonna be there so it shouldn't put people off files in that sense as its bound to happen.

Last edited:

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
You guy's do know LOMCN now stands for Legend Of Mir Chronicles Network!

jk ^^

TheMasterGee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 23, 2003
And this also, lets be fair every game has cheats... if you block them they will make new ones, there will be parts of the game people can exploit and they will find them.. look at how many different types of exploits that have been found over the year. Yes you can do your best to block them but they are always gonna be there so it shouldn't put people off files in that sense as its bound to happen.
I bet there's sections in this community that have an interest in countering exploitable flaws in code and probably have little interest in why DC isn't being added correctly when an item is put on.

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
People just want a server base with no bugs lol.

Incase anyone missed this part of what Sam originally said

Known issues with Heroes files;

-Unstable with high user count.
-PVP bug (Shift + Run).
-32-bit graphical engine bugs.
-Number of high risk security floors.
-Hacks/cheat engines available.

Known issues with Ruby;

-Unstable with high user count (rumored, forever seemed fine).
-Closed source.
-Sticky bug (Stuck on spot, can't move, can't tt, can't do anything).

Known issues with C# files;

-Unstable.
-Olds bugs (fixed in other versions) and incorrect values need adjusting.

Known issues with AppleM2;

-PVP Bug(Shift + Run)
-Packet loss.
-Corrupt image reading (makes client flash)
-Cheats/Hacks available.
-Incomplete systems.

What would a future server owner do with any of these if they cant code? Few incomplete sets about all with some big issues. Only one that seems not so bad is Ruby and there was reasons i didn't use these files before but without downloading them again and testing them out i cant remember why.