Blaminator

Join Discord

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Still pretty cool to see so much development going into such an ancient game!

While I admire the persistence of these people, surely they could be using their skills and the myriad of software out there these days to make their own actual games and profit from them? I mean sound and modelling might be a bit more difficult but I'm fairly certain people on here could do it.

Kinneas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 2, 2007
While I admire the persistence of these people, surely they could be using their skills and the myriad of software out there these days to make their own actual games and profit from them? I mean sound and modelling might be a bit more difficult but I'm fairly certain people on here could do it.
That's very true actually. It's a lot easier to self-publish your own indie game these days too. Platforms like Steam certainly weren't available (or weren't anywhere near as mature as they are these days) back then!

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
You were actually frothing at that, and me and several other people sat and laughed our asses off.

Remember the time we realised we could use the "new infraction system" to ban Admins + other Supermods? They had to get Dataforce to actually go into the server to get people unbanned.

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Haha. Just a consumer here mate, playing that there Chronicles server. I did play AceM2 before that as well. One way to kill some time anyway :D Still pretty cool to see so much development going into such an ancient game!
Haha timezones, any time anyone mentions them I just think of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY and I do seem to remember my first time trying to deal with them going a little something like that.
Can totally relate to the whole business software thing too. That's my day job these days too and yeah, it's a little different from actual programming isn't it :P

---------- Post Merged at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Hahaha who the **** is this scrub? fasanated? Really Seawell? :P

In my defence I was probably peaking at like 40 wanks a day in 2004 and was letting the world know who I was. Most of my posting, comment and PM history on this forum is beyond cringeworthy... I think everyone's is. Thank god GNO forum isn't alive now as I'd have a lot of deeply troubling content on there too.

Yeah timezones are a ****ing nightmare in business apps, makes me want to kill myself every time someone mentions them. I like that this place is still kicking, I might give one of the servers a try. It's hard to claim that this old tech doesn't still have a place in the open market though when you look at stuff like flappy bird and the reception it received... complexity and graphical dominance has clearly been a misdirection for gaming and I think the industry is only just really starting to fully grasp it. ****, I spent like 20 hours playing "Papers, please" this week. It's a ****ing game where you sit there stamping visas, and I can't stop playing.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Modelling is the main issue and there isn't enough qualified to pull it off on such a huge scale.

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png
hkze.png

that gif is hypnotic.. like my brain goes in crash when i see it

Kinneas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 2, 2007
In my defence I was probably peaking at like 40 wanks a day in 2004 and was letting the world know who I was. Most of my posting, comment and PM history on this forum is beyond cringeworthy... I think everyone's is. Thank god GNO forum isn't alive now as I'd have a lot of deeply troubling content on there too.

Yeah timezones are a ****ing nightmare in business apps, makes me want to kill myself every time someone mentions them. I like that this place is still kicking, I might give one of the servers a try. It's hard to claim that this old tech doesn't still have a place in the open market though when you look at stuff like flappy bird and the reception it received... complexity and graphical dominance has clearly been a misdirection for gaming and I think the industry is only just really starting to fully grasp it. ****, I spent like 20 hours playing "Papers, please" this week. It's a ****ing game where you sit there stamping visas, and I can't stop playing.
Oh god mate don't remind me, I'm also very glad that the GNO forum is gone. If not I'd have to invent a time machine, go back and slap myself silly. We're quite lucky really, we more or less got away with our teenage antics not really leaving much of a footprint on the Internet. I feel sorry for the kids of today :P (he said like an old fart).

And oh yeah I totally agree on the game front. I don't really play as many games these days and the ones I do play certainly aren't decided by how flashy they look. I think the Xbone and PS4 will sell over time, and eventually make their money back, but I'm really hoping that they show developers and publishers that it's really not about pursuing photo-realistic graphics anymore and that people actually want an enjoyable game to play!

I've heard of Papers Please and it sounds fun! And addictive! Which is why I haven't picked it up just yet :P

ipixel

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
Think all of us who posted back then can consider LOMCN a mainstay in our lives, we spent an absolute ton of our teenage years spamming the **** out of this and MSN, jumping on Mir servers (InSaNe was definitely my favourite) going on to Atoms server when I first learned how to play Mir, getting admin and making myself bald then spawning 100s of Woomataurus in town. He was so mad at me that day, how dare I hurt the ecosystem of his server! I was de-admin'd shortly after :( you should probably remember that day too Sky.

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
**** the police bitches, your hero has arrived!

<3

---------- Post Merged at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Think all of us who posted back then can consider LOMCN a mainstay in our lives, we spent an absolute ton of our teenage years spamming the **** out of this and MSN, jumping on Mir servers (InSaNe was definitely my favourite) going on to Atoms server when I first learned how to play Mir, getting admin and making myself bald then spawning 100s of Woomataurus in town. He was so mad at me that day, how dare I hurt the ecosystem of his server! I was de-admin'd shortly after :( you should probably remember that day too Sky.

Haha I remember this vaguely but pretty much everything else u said is true :/

ipixel

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
Blam you will always be the only man of colour I love. Gotta admit it was proper weird meeting you in IRC merged into a friends group that I thought was hidden away from the reaches of others, its fate.

Osangar

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 14, 2005
I remember that day, I was GM and you were a ****. Truth be told John, you still are a bit.

SoulForge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2004
lol at some of the posts too funny, Hey again Blam nice to see you posting again :)

anto

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Feb 18, 2005
This thread makes me feel nostalgic, and it hurts my head.