smoochy boys on tour

F4LL3N_4NG3L

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2006
Liverpool
BT over usgae policy

Hiya I need your help :)

I've got 10gb download policy on my BT broadband. I've already used 11gb this month (12days). I received an email stating that I'm getting close to my limit:

Dear Customer,
We thought you'd like to know that, so far in January, you've used more than 7GB of your 10GB monthly usage allowance for your BT Total Broadband Option 1 service.
In accordance with our Fair Usage Policy, if you exceed your usage allowance two months in a row, you'll be charged £1 for every extra GB you use from the second month onwards. But don't worry, if you do exceed your allowance, we'll tell you at the end of the month and let you know the amount of any over usage charges, which will be added to your next bill.
If you wish to avoid usage charges completely, you can always upgrade to one of our broadband products with unlimited usage*. To find out about your options and to upgrade, please go to http://www.bt.com/broadband/upgrade
If you have any questions about this email, please see our Fair Usage Policy. Or call 0800 707 6044, 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
Thank you for choosing BT.
Best wishes,
BT Total Broadband team
* Fair Usage Policy applies.
Please note that this is an automatically generated email for your information only. Unfortunately we cannot respond to 'replies' to this address.

As you can see it says
"In accordance with our Fair Usage Policy, if you exceed your usage allowance two months in a row, you'll be charged £1 for every extra GB you use from the second month onwards."
So my question is. Do you think I could take the piss and just go mad for this month and get away with it? Or do you think that they'll charge me for over usage: It does state that i won't be charged for the first month :)

Thanks in advance :)

mapadale

Re: BT over usgae policy

The simple answer to this, is you signed a contract with BT and upon signing that contract you would adher to the fair usage policy that is in place. If you choose to exceed that fair usage by more than 5%, then you will be charged for that usage. I would sugest changing your contract with BT and go for the unlimited broadband package. Otherwise you will find that you will exceed on a regular basis and yes you can change your contract at any time.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003

alot of internet providers cant calculate the usage propperly for the first month, so wont charge you no matter how much you go over. im guessing bt is the same by saying in the first 2 months.

but as mapa says, if you are using your download limit that quickly, id suggest changing to unlimited.

mapadale

alot of internet providers cant calculate the usage propperly for the first month, so wont charge you no matter how much you go over. im guessing bt is the same by saying in the first 2 months.

but as mapa says, if you are using your download limit that quickly, id suggest changing to unlimited.
With BT they have system monitors on usage for each customer that is on the fair usage policy, one of the reasons they don't take action with the first couple of months is due to them being leinient with you over it. If you hit over 5% of the usage that you are limited to, they will charge you for it. This is why we send out an automated email advising of the current level, as you also have the choice to pay extra to increase your limit for that month in order to compensate.

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004

I say go nuts and use as much as you can.

Then come back here and post when you get the bill.

sumfuka

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 14, 2007

does bt unlimited have a hidden amount you can download b4 they slap fair usage on you? Looking for a new isp as im getting ****ed off with pipex

Primal

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jun 28, 2004

does bt unlimited have a hidden amount you can download b4 they slap fair usage on you? Looking for a new isp as im getting ****ed off with pipex

get virgin cable, its good

mapadale

No they don't, but as with all ISP's. They tend to monitor high usage, so if you have high usage one month and then don't the next you do then get slapped with the "Fair Usage" polciy. It's a clause that is within all ISP contracts, wether it be cable or or copper and yes Virgin does have a fair usage policy that they slap on you from 4pm untill 12am Mon/Fri and 12pm untill 8pm Sat/Sun.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England

Yes, they do.

BT's FUP takes the smeg.

Since changing ISP's we have never had any sort of Fair Usage Policy problems.

My dad & I are forever downloading off Usenet, you see.

Legion

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 7, 2010

Hiya I need your help :)

I've got 10gb download policy on my BT broadband. I've already used 11gb this month (12days). I received an email stating that I'm getting close to my limit:

Dear Customer,
We thought you'd like to know that, so far in January, you've used more than 7GB of your 10GB monthly usage allowance for your BT Total Broadband Option 1 service.
In accordance with our Fair Usage Policy, if you exceed your usage allowance two months in a row, you'll be charged £1 for every extra GB you use from the second month onwards. But don't worry, if you do exceed your allowance, we'll tell you at the end of the month and let you know the amount of any over usage charges, which will be added to your next bill.
If you wish to avoid usage charges completely, you can always upgrade to one of our broadband products with unlimited usage*. To find out about your options and to upgrade, please go to http://www.bt.com/broadband/upgrade
If you have any questions about this email, please see our Fair Usage Policy. Or call 0800 707 6044, 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
Thank you for choosing BT.
Best wishes,
BT Total Broadband team
* Fair Usage Policy applies.
Please note that this is an automatically generated email for your information only. Unfortunately we cannot respond to 'replies' to this address.

As you can see it says
"In accordance with our Fair Usage Policy, if you exceed your usage allowance two months in a row, you'll be charged £1 for every extra GB you use from the second month onwards."
So my question is. Do you think I could take the piss and just go mad for this month and get away with it? Or do you think that they'll charge me for over usage: It does state that i won't be charged for the first month :)

Thanks in advance :)

Count yourself lucky they alerted you, they didnt to me restricted my line since october without telling me so im switching isp's

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland

Yes, they do.

BT's FUP takes the smeg.

Which ISP is this?

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006

Not all of us have the virgin cable capability. :(

I however need a new net company at my rents home, for whatever reason as soon as me and my bro play a game of something it likes to disconnect, the download speeds atrocious, and the general speed fluctuates so much it's unreal.
Been on the same company for ages now, and whilst they were once alright, they've not changed in a while and are now crap. I was thinking maybe BE unlimited or similar...

/Gand

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007

BT are good for stability, Every company i tried i was getting dis connected alot.

The only time i had a problem with bt is when the wind blew down a telephone pole up the top of my road which took them a week 2 fix as there was snow and bad winds. and it was just before crimbo ¬_¬

Other than that had no problems, we pay about 15-20 quid a month for unlimited access, i only get about 4mb download and 400kb upload but it seems ok as we run 3 laptops 2 desktops and 2 xbox 360`s on live off it, Never really have any lag problems unless someones is abusing it with torrents and mp3 downloads.

mapadale

Yes, they do.

BT's FUP takes the smeg.

BT Unlimited does not have a hidden amount at all Jealy, it has a FUP as do all ISP's and if you keep a high usage on your bandwidth constantly form month to month, then you don't get stung with the FUP. But if your bandwidth is up and down each month, point being showing that one minute you are using and the next you are not, then you will be stung with the FUP.

BT's FUP is on of the better ones compared to Virgins, at least it's not in the tiny small print that is misconsturded in the handbook. Unlike virgins, that is three lines and they use it no matter what for all ends.

As for BT being a better provider than the likes of Talk Talk, Orange and anyone else that uses a BT copper line. BT will always out perform the lesser, as it's there core network. Everyone else rents bandwidth of BT to provide you there net and so are limited to how much they give you.

F4LL3N_4NG3L

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2006
Liverpool

BT Unlimited does not have a hidden amount at all Jealy, it has a FUP as do all ISP's and if you keep a high usage on your bandwidth constantly form month to month, then you don't get stung with the FUP. But if your bandwidth is up and down each month, point being showing that one minute you are using and the next you are not, then you will be stung with the FUP.

BT's FUP is on of the better ones compared to Virgins, at least it's not in the tiny small print that is misconsturded in the handbook. Unlike virgins, that is three lines and they use it no matter what for all ends.

As for BT being a better provider than the likes of Talk Talk, Orange and anyone else that uses a BT copper line. BT will always out perform the lesser, as it's there core network. Everyone else rents bandwidth of BT to provide you there net and so are limited to how much they give you.

That might be true but didn't work that way for me. My mum is with Talk talk so when I was living at home I was getting unlimited internet at speed of over 10gb, free phoneline all for £23 a month. Which is pretty good seeing as I'd be downloading on average 50gb a month. **** the Disney movies I downloaded before I moved are bigger than my BT cap :(