Chinese gaming scene, sad picture

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I watched couple of great videos on the state or MMORPG gaming scene out here in the West by NeverKnowsBest and while mir2 is not mentioned (of course, it not being on Steam), it is uncanny how everything that applies to the big gaming scene out there also applies to our mir private server scene. Videos are quite long but they kept me watching.

The third video, "The Curious Story of China's Indie Gaming Scene" I watched on the Chinese Indie game development in China may not be of much interest here, except that two last two sections in that video show a very bleak state not just of gaming scene in China but generally how oppressive the state is in general.
I know, we all know that, but still having it brought home the way this guy does in connection with gaming scene is chilling. Even for me who grew up in a communist country.

Through mir3d I got involved personally with @elementmicro who lives in China and I noted over time his struggles to stay on Telegram chat where we cooperated on mir3d development, like getting some Western ccards to be able to pay for VPN (when government would crack down on paying for VPN use direct from China), his use of VPN to evade government barriers aiming to bar pple from using Telegram, which led to his frequent disconnections from our mir3d test servers (VPNs are never ideal for gaming anyway), and it came to it that he is now considering emigration. It is painful to witness all that personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Far

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Living in the west we really do take for granted just how good we have it. The control communist countries have over their people and the views imposed is heartbreaking. China have always been undervalued by their government, and right now it's biting them in the arse.

Not only is China's population naturally dwindling due to their awful restrictions which have had a huge knock-on effect meaning their median population age is 39, but their ever growing younger population wanting to leave their country serves a recipe for disaster.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Some five years back, I watched a TV document about several guys traveling overland in the most primitive cars from the communist era, in a 'Trabant' made in NDR', air cooled two cycle engine, like a motorcycle of the old days, body made mostly from fiberglass... they drove in two Trabant cars all the way from Europe to China and back and had with them small hand held cameras to record the trip. The trip was made sometimes around 2010-15 I believe and they guys slept inside the cars when the weather was bad or outside in sleeping bags, occasionally in some cheap motel to have a bed and shower once in a blue moon. It wasn't a trip you would take anybody squeamish along, like women or generally civilized folks LOL

You get official bureaucracy in all states in Asia but China topped them all. But bureaucracy is one thing and police state another, in China you get both and police state is the worse part of the two. Most damming are the ever present cameras, not just in populated cities, small towns and villages, but even on highways in truly godforsaken areas and they weren't dummy cameras as they found out to their dismay... it would all be hardly believable if they didn't record it on video, very bravely even parts of the various skirmishes with authorities. Often they had to take a Chinese onboard to travel with them as a policing monitor.

The communist regime in Soviet Eastern block countries was never that bad as life in today's China. They give totalitarianism a whole new meaning. Also, I was under the impression that Chinese, that is bulk of them, can come and go when it comes to traveling abroad, but somehow, element apparently can't freely leave.

Last edited:

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Don't play anything that comes from Tencent. Stop funding the CCP and its tentacles.