Connection Problem

dopey

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 17, 2004
Ireland, Derry
I have been using a new laptop in the past week and for the first few days the connection to the wireless internet was grand but after that it wouldn't connect to internet properly dropping the connection after about 10 seconds.

I seem to have fixed this problem by resetting the router, but after restarting the computer it has reverted to problem stated above.

The only way i can gain internet access is by using a ethernet cable from the router into the laptop.

wondering if anyone knew why this is?

edit

the router is a netgear one by the way

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Uninstall Wireless driver and re-install it using latest version fro mthe manufactures website.

Check for spyware / virus's

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Uninstall third party wireless software and just use the windows wireless software, Failing that goto your wireless network adaptors property settings, Find your hub listed and click delete this will delete any saved settings for this connection you will be prompted to re enter your wireless network key though. Failing that do a system restore to where it worked ok.

Last edited:

ThreeHeroes

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 6, 2009
Ring up your isp, i had this problem before. They sorted it for me within 2 minutes.

mapadale

I agree with Mental on this one, but don't use channel 11 as it's a dafault channel for most routers.

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
I had something similiar to this on a Belkin router but mine was due to being out of range I believe, I recently moved closer to the router and upgraded to 50 MB so I got a new router, a DLink which hasn't given me a problem in a month so,

1. Check how far / if any thing could be blocking the signal.
2. Do as others have said, change ur wireless channel on ur router page.
3. Buy a new router / Upgrade ur net which gives you one for free.
4. Phone up ur ISP and ask them about it.