Dell Laptop won't start up properly

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
I have a Dell Inspiron running windows 7 and it will only boot up in safe mode. I have tried everything including factory reset but still no joy. The screen is cracked but not problem as always use separate larger monitor anyway. I do have the disc that came with it and have tried starting from the disc.....still getting nowhere. Any ideas? Please. :confusion:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
What do you mean by factory reset? Have you formatted the hard drive and tried a fresh OS install?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Sounds like the Windows install is corrupt - Do you get any errors when you boot it up? Or is it just on a cycle, shows that Windows is loading and then restarts?

Could try sticking a Windows 7 disc in and trying the repair function.

Failing this, you will need to either use a disc you got with the laptop (If you got one) to reinstall Windows, or download Windows and re-install it.

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
I have the tools disc that came with the laptop but didn't come with full windows disc. Factory reset is like reformat but not sure wipes the OS partition. How can I format from safe mode?

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I have the tools disc that came with the laptop but didn't come with full windows disc. Factory reset is like reformat but not sure wipes the OS partition. How can I format from safe mode?

If you insert a full installation disc (or bootable usb stick) and boot from that, you can format the drive using the Win7 installer software, (and then obviously install your fresh copy)

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
What can you see in Safe Mode ?
Is all the hardware correctly listed with drivers ?
Depending on what you've wiped / deleted, you can still use system restore in safe mode. That should be your first port of call.

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
Tried system restore with every backup, no change.... yes all hardware visible. Wondering if screen being broken is causing the laptop to go into safe mode??

Havn't got the full installation disc Tai, they don't send with new laptops it seems, only the toolsy/recovery disc.

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
When you say that it will only boot into safe mode, do you mean Windows is just booting into Safe mode without you wanting it to? Or do you mean Windows will not boot until you put it into safe mode. If so, what does it actually do? Boot loop or is it crashing with an error?

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
when I turn the laptop on it will attempt to boot normally but will only go into safe mode.

spartekas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 21, 2009
USA
ok got a idea, I know how to fix this I think... look in BIOS on dells at top, find ur Boot options, 1 make sure you have enabled USB- DVD- SATA- yur hard drive.. Then put boot option #1 boot from CD/USB #2 Boot from NETWORK, #3 boot SATA/ ATA/ULTRADMA... PLus at bottom look for Errors, usually changing memory will throw a error, or any other device errors.

I don't know yet how to help by remote in preboot... theory to create Administrator password, then maybe connect that way, can change when fiished. when replacing or fixing aka something on your laptop your elgible for a OEM DVD from who gave you the laptop/fixed a hard drive for example..

I am having a lot of difficulty typing on lomcn, don't do it on my facebook or anywere else.

ps if not running anything higher ie win8 under Hard drive run as Legacy- win7 is still legacy support

Hit F12 for options
I will try to get over to my rl bros and Upload a win7 ISO, and XP sp3/ black edition too

Last edited: