• Total voters

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Hi All,

I am genuinely curious to get everyone's feedback about AutoPlay being added to a server.
Please don't start having a pop at other peoples opinions.

We've had a lot of people want this feature adding into our server; at a minimum I think we are going to add it for us to test things a lot easier and without having to put in manual hours, however what does everyone feel about AutoPlay being on a Mir Server?

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Hi All,

I am genuinely curious to get everyone's feedback about AutoPlay being added to a server.
Please don't start having a pop at other peoples opinions.

We've had a lot of people want this feature adding into our server; at a minimum I think we are going to add it for us to test things a lot easier and without having to put in manual hours, however what does everyone feel about AutoPlay being on a Mir Server?

Il give my own opinion and I mean no harm to whatever is mentioned.

Honestly auto is good and it is also bad and il explain why.

Oldskool, loved it at first, got bored tho, what u find a lovely QOL at first (think I got lvl80 ish) becomes more of a worry is your PC afk ticking over at home? Quick phone the wife get her to log u back in. I honestly only “played oldskool” 10% of the time. The rest I wernt even in the same room.

It’s a good feature tho, credit to @Hany bringing it to table.

On your server @LightBringer u do what makes u happy at the end of the day, that’s what counts, but a few ideas just spitballing here if you was NOT to add auto.

1. Design a quest system that lvls u upto lvl22 then everyday after allows a progression of 1 level. The ppl that start late will be able to catch the front pack as they can do all the quests up to the released daily quest of the day.

2. Put caps, 33, 40, 50, 60. Only lift them at a set in stone date of say 1 month each one. Add crafting mats, for each cap, let ppl enjoy crafting and bossing to be the best at each stage.

3. Make lvling easy, get to lvl50 open paragon seasons, that reset each month, again crafting and boss mats need to be in.

4. Add a daily special cave like magic Square from Mir4 and there are many on MirM. Make it an hours timed entry. Make the cave have 4 floors. Lvl33,40,50,60 to enter.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Yeah we are doing hard cap and phases for content.

We have our own ability point system (differs slightly from the usual paragon system) is you can use your points on any stat, but its weighted (so to get +1 attackspeed might cost you 15 points (so 15 AP levels))

We already have a similar concept to MagicSquare(mir4) as well as other things like challenge tower and the likes.

Even though I do enjoy the autoplay feature, its annoying to have to run your PC all the time + it does dilute the game some what (I can agree on that)

This is why I want peoples opinions from here, ultimately!

Reactions: Shyfx

Shyfx

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 19, 2007
you could do a poll so we can just vote as people will just give **** for giving out opinions lol

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005

We have our own ability point system (differs slightly from the usual paragon system) is you can use your points on any stat, but its weighted (so to get +1 attackspeed might cost you 15 points (so 15 AP levels))

We already have a similar concept to MagicSquare(mir4) as well as other things like challenge tower and the likes.

Even though I do enjoy the autoplay feature, its annoying to have to run your PC all the time + it does dilute the game some what (I can agree on that)

Only good effect the auto play has is that it ruins the levelers (the ones that get paid to log on a character and level it for hours on a rate $)

Reactions: Sanjian

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
it adds nothing of value other than pumping up a user count. if you actually have good fun content people will play.

Scampi

Banned
Banned
Mar 23, 2009
Personally will never play any auto play game, but certainly not Mir 2 lol.. Complete trash mechanic.

The idea it 'helps people keep up' is a myth when everyone is doing it during their down time - that gap to the top still grows and just encourages everyone to keep the game running - when not even playing or enjoying the game for a fools illusion of progression.

The argument players have that can't put in the same active hours as others rarely considers players that can't / won't leave their computer running 24/7.
Reality is these players will just be bad on every server they play so convince themselves auto play will change the trend of their 20 year Mir careers.. It won't.

If the Mir 2 community thinks its wise to move towards the standardisation of auto play, then honestly I think it will just speed up its demise.
There are better, more predatory auto playing games already available.

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
So I like auto play as it lets me walk away and do other more important things but not fall massively behind the other players its the same reason I think those with family's or who work crazy amounts of time like it as well.

I do think for myself having auto 24/7 is a bit ****, and without adding systems like Codex on oldschool it will destroy the servers long term market stability because more items will flood the market and players will create bots to farm. (which I've been told bots have become a thing in mir2 in general before bons new server)

I think the next person to imploment Auto Play should try to do it in a limited manor e.g you can have 48 hours of auto play saved up, and earn 12 hours a day from quests/missions. this would allow people keep the game progressing well at work but not keep it up 24/7.

Reguardless though anyone who is concidering adding auto play needs to lower drops from normal monsters and spread out areas where things drop, and create systems similar to the codex feature oldschool took from Mir4 to keep the market from getting flooded. I also like codex for the fact it forces people to move around farming diffierent areas for minor benefits to their character that stack up nicely over time by far one of the better features I've seen brought into mir in the recent years.

(Voted Other since even though I like autoplay I think 24/7 is probably bad for servers in the long run needs to be limited or people will get bored)

Last edited:

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Only good effect the auto play has is that it ruins the levelers (the ones that get paid to log on a character and level it for hours on a rate $)
believe it or not Zed, it doesn't haha

the hard core players still pay levellers as its still quicker, so it doesn't actually curve that problem
Post automatically merged:

So I like auto play as it lets me walk away and do other more important things but not fall massively behind the other players its the same reason I think those with family's or who work crazy amounts of time like it as well.

I do think for myself having auto 24/7 is a bit ****, and without adding systems like Codex on oldschool it will destroy the servers long term market stability because more items will flood the market and players will create bots to farm. (which I've been told bots have become a thing in mir2 in general before bons new server)

I think the next person to imploment Auto Play should try to do it in a limited manor e.g you can have 48 hours of auto play saved up, and earn 12 hours a day from quests/missions. this would allow people keep the game progressing well at work but not keep it up 24/7.

Reguardless though anyone who is concidering adding auto play needs to lower drops from normal monsters and spread out areas where things drop, and create systems similar to the codex feature oldschool took from Mir4 to keep the market from getting flooded. I also like codex for the fact it forces people to move around farming diffierent areas for minor benefits to their character that stack up nicely over time by far one of the better features I've seen brought into mir in the recent years.

(Voted Other since even though I like autoplay I think 24/7 is probably bad for servers in the long run needs to be limited or people will get bored)
Yeah we also already have a itemcodex coded in our files haha

I do like the idea of generating auto play over time, could be interesting (builds up instead of rested exp).
This is why I like to see people's opinions on the various aspects, even if a feature gets benched on our server, people tend to actually have decent additions onto existing concepts.

Reactions: Vyse

Lose

Banned
Banned
Aug 13, 2020

Hard cap and phases work perfectly as it gives your players a chance to push through content together and also allows you as a developer to work under a more controlled environment for releasing content and meeting expectations.

Just look at the majority of successful MMOs throughout history, they all worked to a cap and increased throughout time with content/DLC/expansions to constantly pump in a desire for players to reengage with the server/game.

Having people reach cap is a good thing, just focus on more fun things to do/systems etc for people to do that isn't just levelling that is rewarding (and balanced).

Odyssey for example had catch-up systems, daily quests that inspired ideas on my server and were far better catchup methods than AutoPlay.

The amount of effort you are putting into your server, I think you should want players experiencing it themselves rather than the computer skipping content for them.

However if you want a chubby UC, just go with AutoPlay :p

Reactions: LightBringer

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Hard cap and phases work perfectly as it gives your players a chance to push through content together and also allows you as a developer to work under a more controlled environment for releasing content and meeting expectations.

Just look at the majority of successful MMOs throughout history, they all worked to a cap and increased throughout time with content/DLC/expansions to constantly pump in a desire for players to reengage with the server/game.

Having people reach cap is a good thing, just focus on more fun things to do/systems etc for people to do that isn't just levelling that is rewarding (and balanced).

Odyssey for example had catch-up systems, daily quests that inspired ideas on my server and were far better catchup methods than AutoPlay.

The amount of effort you are putting into your server, I think you should want players experiencing it themselves rather than the computer skipping content for them.

However if you want a chubby UC, just go with AutoPlay :p

Always liked Caps and Phases.

We've got a lot of content in the mix at the moment to be able to not feel stagnant when you hit the cap (Codex, CardSystem, Achievements, Quest lines, ChallengeTower, MagicSquareRipOff, SecretPeakRipOff, Ability Points (renaming the system though) among many others.

Yeah that was one of the big things that I didn't want from our server, was for people to not enjoy each area, as every area is new.

Again this is why I wanted this discussion, when I initially played OS I wanted AutoPlay in, but reflecting back before biting the bullet has but some ? over the feature.

I am not slating any server with it on, or anyone who plans to put it in, either, just enjoy a discussion about new concepts on Mir servers.

Reactions: Lose

Scampi

Banned
Banned
Mar 23, 2009
Always liked Caps and Phases.

We've got a lot of content in the mix at the moment to be able to not feel stagnant when you hit the cap (Codex, CardSystem, Achievements, Quest lines, ChallengeTower, MagicSquareRipOff, SecretPeakRipOff, Ability Points (renaming the system though) among many others.

Yeah that was one of the big things that I didn't want from our server, was for people to not enjoy each area, as every area is new.

Again this is why I wanted this discussion, when I initially played OS I wanted AutoPlay in, but reflecting back before biting the bullet has but some ? over the feature.

I am not slating any server with it on, or anyone who plans to put it in, either, just enjoy a discussion about new concepts on Mir servers.

As a player there is a risk that too many variations of 'things to do' can end up being overwhelming - especially when it's all dumped on you at once.
Plenty of MMOs have turned me off by hitting level cap then suddenly having 5-10 new systems to get involved with simultaneously.
A gradual introduction to each 'new' system with clear routes of progression from their individual perks would appeal to me more. Afterall, Mir is great in its simplicity as much as anything else.

Auto play your way to the end game, not only do you miss out on the enjoyable experience of actually playing, but you also end up in a packed out safe zone with so many options of what to do without really knowing what is optimal.

Reactions: Slipmatt

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
I voted no. My reason:

As a casual player I have zero time to put in the effort the top select of players do, so in that respect OS showed it was useful in somewhat gaining while afk. Once players realised they essentially had the opportunity to go round killing these players almost penalty free (the use of pk reduction pots) it became pointless.

Though my main reason for voting no is I realised how much of a lazy player it actually made me. I bet I only spent 5% of my time actually playing the game itself, thus becoming boring too quickly.

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
As a player there is a risk that too many variations of 'things to do' can end up being overwhelming - especially when it's all dumped on you at once.
Plenty of MMOs have turned me off by hitting level cap then suddenly having 5-10 new systems to get involved with simultaneously.
A gradual introduction to each 'new' system with clear routes of progression from their individual perks would appeal to me more. Afterall, Mir is great in its simplicity as much as anything else.

Auto play your way to the end game, not only do you miss out on the enjoyable experience of actually playing, but you also end up in a packed out safe zone with so many options of what to do without really knowing what is optimal.
tell me your lazy with out telling me your lazy

• Haha
Reactions: Vyse

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014

Yeah these aren't all "Cap" exclusives.
We have ways to introduce some of the more complex features, but a lot of their concepts aren't new to players (Achievements for example).

Agreed on the "Big Bang" approach, It's why I hate mobile games in general (you log on, it gives you a ton of stuff then you have 20+ different events/features to get your head around).

On the flip side I do dislike any MMO is when you hit the cap and it being very linear of "this dungeon is the end game"; without anything else being available to break the consistent grind.

Reactions: Scampi

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
We have ways to introduce some of the more complex features, but a lot of their concepts aren't new to players (Achievements for example).

Agreed on the "Big Bang" approach, It's why I hate mobile games in general (you log on, it gives you a ton of stuff then you have 20+ different events/features to get your head around).

On the flip side I do dislike any MMO is when you hit the cap and it being very linear of "this dungeon is the end game"; without anything else being available to break the consistent grind.

Currently I’m lvl42 on MirM, all auto play other than a few hard quests and sorting crafting out. I’m bored. It’s now ultra grindy, and I havnt logged on at all today even tho I got lucky and recently rolled a relic avatar (skin).

Wemade are completely lazy, the quests are all the same, kill 200 of this mob, then gather 200 of “said item” from the same mob. Then move to floor 2 and repeat until cave done. Then next cave.

I’m so ******* bored man.

Edit - I’m playing and having much more fun watching the wife play hogwarts legacy. Games really good, @LightBringer bring us something spicy please. Take ya time and do something not to far off from euro with really nice features and casual player help. Hit the sweet spot 👍🏻

Shyfx

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 19, 2007

Thats kinda why you would have to mulitple dungeons at end game for different rewards that drop but not so often lol and also the older content dropping items for crafts etc so you find your going back to kill monsters to collect the old items not actually to level
Post automatically merged:

Currently I’m lvl42 on MirM, all auto play other than a few hard quests and sorting crafting out. I’m bored. It’s now ultra grindy, and I havnt logged on at all today even tho I got lucky and recently rolled a relic avatar (skin).

Wemade are completely lazy, the quests are all the same, kill 200 of this mob, then gather 200 of “said item” from the same mob. Then move to floor 2 and repeat until cave done. Then next cave.

I’m so ******* bored man.
you made it further than I did I got to 27 and was like what am I doing lol