Fuel filling problem on the Fiat Brava

smoochy boys on tour

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Hey peeps,

I'll be totally honest that I am prob the biggest virgin when it comes to car, I don't know anything about them other than the essentials to keep the car moving forward lol.

But I have a problem when filling up my car, everytime I fill up, I have to hold the nozzle back to the very front of the petrol hole and also only give half power of the pump, otherwise the petrol fills the hole too quickly and cut outs the pump.

If I hold it in all the way, it cuts out almost instantly...and I THINK I found the problem.

305282_10150832879695346_800595345_20530214_1468089353_n.jpg

If you look at the image, you can see the splash guard that prevents petrol coming back up, but my theory is thats TOO far down the hole and the petrol pump doesn't even reach the hole, so when filling, the petrol isn't strong enough to push the hole open and thus fills up when on full power and simply leaks petrol into the tank lol.

If you don't know whether this can be moved up or not, can you at least leave the proper name for it so I can look it up lol

I've been led to this theory because on my mums and brothers car, there splash guards are at the very top, leaving no issue for the petrol pump to push through it

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
There is a device called an Anti-syphoning device which controls the amount of pressure.

Supposedly, most Fiats encounter this and its anon fixable problem. Just get along with it i suppose.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
There is a device called an Anti-syphoning device which controls the amount of pressure.

Supposedly, most Fiats encounter this and its anon fixable problem. Just get along with it i suppose.

What? Take it to the garage and say fkin fix it.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
simple get rid and buy a propper car.

well they do call fiat "Fix It Again Tomorrow"

Foopah

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 7, 2011
Livingston
simple get rid and buy a propper car.

well they do call fiat "Fix It Again Tomorrow"

Actually its "Fix it again Tony" the manufacturer is Itallian after all and all their mechanics are called Tony, hence where that joke came from.

If it can't be fixed then get rid of that poor excuse for a car and get something decent. FIAT, Pugeout, Citreon... Steer clear of them. Oh and Alfas, can't forget about them.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Must admit, I and most people I have heard, also say Fix It Again Tomorrow.

Rick-e

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2003
Brighton, UK.
Fords don't really break down? and if they do you can usually repair them for the cost of a pack of fags.

I've had a focus for 6 years now and I've just done the clutch, cam belt, auxilliary belt and fuel injectors all for like £550.

If that lasts me another 3-5 years I'll be happy. It's only pennies in the grand scheme of things.

I will no doubt buy another Ford when I change my car.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Also, my mate just bought a Jag and 2 days later the clutch, flywheel and driveshaft went. £1600 later he was spitting feathers

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Also, my mate just bought a Jag and 2 days later the clutch, flywheel and driveshaft went. £1600 later he was spitting feathers

serves him right for buying a dodgy jag lol. blates a poser