Meer
Saybook Wall
Be shon Wall
Mong shon Wall
Prarj ner Island.
Char' like Car (short for character)

Can't think of any more.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=taoist&submit=Submit

I was very surprised at the above pronunciation, but it gets most other words right, like Grass and Scone...

Meer
Sar buck wall
Be chi on wall
Mong chon wall
P rah ge na island
Char like Char in Charmander
Zoo Ma temple
Tongs (like bbq utensils)

Interesting enough if you youtube Taoism it is pronounced dowelism... The religion of joining pieces of word together.

Sam

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
This .... i +Rep u here

other people wtf is this thread about in all fairness

u cant say to a chinese man NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ur SAYING IT WRONG! just kus they say egg fwy wice

and we say egg fried rice...

this post is sad
If you're as pedantic as me you can! ;)

Besides that's a pretty bad comparison considering they say it that way because it's hard for them to pronounce it correctly whereas people here are wrong out of ignorance.

Samuel's got it right. Like I said, it's like hao but with a t (or sometimes more of a d).

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
If you're as pedantic as me you can! ;)

Besides that's a pretty bad comparison considering they say it that way because it's hard for them to pronounce it correctly whereas people here are wrong out of ignorance.

Samuel's got it right. Like I said, it's like hao but with a t (or sometimes more of a d).

Not really ignorance, just uneducated on the matter. Bearing in mind how young most of us were when we came across this word on a game, we had to make our own best judgement on how it should be said.

Saying that, I know deep down that it should be pronounced like hao is but I prefer tay-oh :D just like I know Mir should be "meer" but I don't like how that sounds either. Now that's ignorance ^_^

Last edited:

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
I don't understand how people got this wrong. You learn at a very young age that two vowels next to each other mean they make a different single sound not two sounds.

Also you can't bring accent into it. Spanish people all talk with a lisp. I drag out my k or c sounds. And Geordies talk like fools lol. A word is pronounced how it is pronounced.

niss

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 11, 2004
I don't understand how people got this wrong. You learn at a very young age that two vowels next to each other mean they make a different single sound not two sounds.

Also you can't bring accent into it. Spanish people all talk with a lisp. I drag out my k or c sounds. And Geordies talk like fools lol. A word is pronounced how it is pronounced.

Ye ?
Id love to hear you pronounce boa constrictor then.. lmfao ^.^

terriblen

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2012
Ye ?
Now there's a smart reply if ever I saw one. Gotta love mir forum posters.
How can anyone persist in saying tay oh when everything you can find on the net shows that this isnt right? Yes OK at the start of mir all these words were strange and exotic but this is 21st cent you all grew up its a multicultural society. Get it right.
You would laugh at people who say EEEEEEsex or Dover to rhyme with cover, when you stopped smiling you would correct them.
Its tow to rhyme with now.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
Ye ?

When a word is the name of something it is said however the person that created that name says it is. As for boa constrictor I would only say it how I have heard the likes of Steve Irwin and nature program's say it.

That is a word that it said as it looks with each letter making a single sound.

You can't fault my logic. Do these people who can't say Tao correctly also say Sao paolo and maoam wit the same "each letter has a single sound logic"?

---------- Post Merged at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Sayo payolo s a great one btw.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Not really ignorance, just uneducated on the matter. Bearing in mind how young most of us were when we came across this word on a game, we had to make our own best judgement on how it should be said.

Saying that, I know deep down that it should be pronounced like hao is but I prefer tay-oh :D just like I know Mir should be "meer" but I don't like how that sounds either. Now that's ignorance ^_^

The ignorance comment was more for the people who know how to pronounce it correctly, but don't... like you! :P (and now everyone who has read the entire thread).

FUTURA

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 25, 2003
DXB
Maybe it is tayo.

Brb gonna go lvl up my wayorriyor on layjend of mar.

niss

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 11, 2004
How can anyone persist in saying tay oh when everything you can find on the net shows that this isnt right? Yes OK at the start of mir all these words were strange and exotic but this is 21st cent you all grew up its a multicultural society. Get it right.
You would laugh at people who say EEEEEEsex or Dover to rhyme with cover, when you stopped smiling you would correct them.

I dont recall saying how i thought it should be pronounced lol?
I implied that with his C's it would sound amusing as in a jk and as for how tao should be said.. who gives a **** tbh lol and yes id laugh at your example...
Sat in ya bedroom playing mir and saying it however you like is your business rofl.
Yes ya gotta love mir forum posters...

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Instead, I'm laughing at you.

terriblen

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2012
I dont recall saying how i thought it should be pronounced lol?
I implied that with his C's it would sound amusing as in a jk and as for how tao should be said.. who gives a **** tbh lol and yes id laugh at your example...
Sat in ya bedroom playing mir and saying it however you like is your business rofl.
Yes ya gotta love mir forum posters...
Your humour doesn't work when its written down. I was remarking on the irrelevance of your comment. Also intended not too seriously. You know what craig was trying to say and chose to be difficult about it, then got nasty.
I pointed out that to pronounce a foreign word wrong in the global village when it's so easy to find out how to get it right seems to be a bit silly. BUt then its a forum and nothing should be taken too seriously- sorry I forgot that for a mo because it was a real life related topic.