How to translate chinese game to english with hex editor?

OxxpqxxO

Dentity
Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
Can someone help me to understand how to translate a chinese game to english with hex editor?

I want to make the hard work for helping others members on this site.
It`s easy to put a online server, but it`s hard to do all the things that are behind the project.. translating, scripting,coding and so on.. i want to congratulate all who have dedicated to the hard work!

Last edited:

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
Ok i guess you didn't understand when i explained so il make a quick video.

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
Il have to explain again, recorder isn't being friendly.

Open Ultra Edit

Open the file you need to edit.

Now you will see a load of rubbish like so.
331lq3b.jpg

Now comes the pain in the ars part, you have to search for the words, or in my case just type "Weight" in Google Translate
and you will get the correct name which is also in game. Don't bother searching for words you may think are right, google translate isn't perfect.

Ok so we will work of "Weight" which in Chinese is "重量". In ultraEdit go to Search > Find and make sure "Find ASCII" box is ticked, enter the word "重量" in the search box and click "Find Next".
fvjsef.jpg

Now to the editing part.

First thing is you MUST NEVER go past the amount of bytes the string has, so for "重量" you can use 4 English letters, because 1 Chinese symbol = 2 English letters which leaves us pretty screwed because Weight is 6 letters long and this is the reason hex editing sucks so you have shorten it to something like Wght. It's ok not to use all the bytes, for the rest you can just use space.
It's a good idea never to use Copy and Paste also, always type the word in yourself.

Now the %d at the end of the string is code, strings won't always have this, most of the time it will be empty space but remember never to go past the string bytes. Look at the picture again above, you see the string is highlighted and on the left side some numbers are highlighted, il try explain.

00 00 D6 D8 C1 B4 25 64 00 00

Red: Empty bytes, because they are free bytes dose not mean you can use them, in some cases you can but not for this.
Green: This is your string.
Blue: Code, do not go over this otherwise the file is broken.

Once you have edited it should look like this
souvlc.jpg

Save file.

If you find it hard to find words you can toggle hex mode which imo is much easier finding words but don't edit in this mode. Toggle Hex Mode is on the tool bar under Column tab.

To answer your above post, words will be repeated a lot so if you edit something and it's not changed in game, it means there is enough exact string, i think Weight is repeated 4 or 5 times, just edit them all.

Last edited:

OxxpqxxO

Dentity
Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
Thank you very much, but something is not good on my pc.. look at this print screen.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
Erm i have no idea how to install Chinese prc on Win7 =/ but the 2nd picture is keyboard which isn't needed.

OxxpqxxO

Dentity
Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
But i have the Chinese (Simplified, PRC) language instaled.. or maybe not?

Current laguage for non-Unicode programs:
Chinese (Simplified, PRC)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 54

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
But i have the Chinese (Simplified, PRC) language instaled.. or maybe not?

Current laguage for non-Unicode programs:
Chinese (Simplified, PRC)

Yeah that's right but not sure why it's not showing in Ultraedit, that is all i have to do to get Chinese working, but people with win7 always have problems getting it too work.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
those look like chinese characters to me. whats supposed to be wrong with it?

OxxpqxxO

Dentity
Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
those look like chinese characters to me. whats supposed to be wrong with it?

Here is the problem.. i do not know why my Windows 7 Ultimate cannot read all the chinese characters.
Or maybe my Hex Editor is not good?
What is wrong?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Looks to be reading the characters to me. Your screenshot clearly shows chinese characters.

OxxpqxxO

Dentity
Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
Looks to be reading the characters to me. Your screenshot clearly shows chinese characters.

Yeah but look at the first prin screen of Sanity.. is the same files.

Sanity
Untitled.jpg

OxxpqxxO
Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
well your computer is definitely reading them. if it wasn't they'd show up as ascii.

its not the same file (well its not the same version of file), as your hex values are completely different. is nothing to do with language pack or the program.

Last edited:

OxxpqxxO

Dentity
Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
well your computer is definitely reading them. if it wasn't they'd show up as ascii.

its not the same file (well its not the same version of file), as your hex values are completely different. is nothing to do with language pack or the program.

What can i do?
I need to insert another Windows?.. such as Microsoft Windows XP Profesional SP3 to show me the same hex values like Sanity?

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
no you need to get the same file. they're clearly different versions you both have.

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
What can i do?
I need to insert another Windows?.. such as Microsoft Windows XP Profesional SP3 to show me the same hex values like Sanity?

Search for "重量".

If you find it then you have it, my version might be above yours as i downloaded the latest's updates the other night, every update deletes the woool.dat.update and replaces it with another one, so if you ever wanted to update your client you will need to re start the woool.dat.update.

OxxpqxxO

Dentity
Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
no you need to get the same file. they're clearly different versions you both have.

Thanks for the help mate, you were right is not the same file.

Search for "重量".

If you find it then you have it, my version might be above yours as i downloaded the latest's updates the other night, every update deletes the woool.dat.update and replaces it with another one, so if you ever wanted to update your client you will need to re start the woool.dat.update.

Thanks for help!
I searched and works perfectly.. so that was the problem.. another version of files damn :@:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 18