LOMCN Designer contest

Join Discord

J-O-H-N

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2004
alright as a method to correct my errors, im starting an LOMCN designer contest.

The main aim is to promote better design on these forums and help people learn a little more about Graphics in general.

What you have to do for the competiton is design a 300x300 image titled with whatever you want, but please dont use any anime images, or picture of game characters or whatever.

I want to see what talent lies here, and how we can improve it, i of course will judge all entries and the winner will receive a 500mb hosting package ( not much but hey its a start ) and get their work featured on digitalgrounds when it opens.

Start submitting your work in a chance to win, this will close a week from today.

Good luck!

EDIT: I will review every peice submitted and provide detailed and constructive critisism to everyone.

If anyone needs any specific help you can PM me.

------------------=[ FAQ ]=------------------

Q: Does the image have to be 300x300 or can it be any size that doesn't exceed those boundaries?

A: 300 x 300 is the requirement, no other size is accepted. Sorry.

--------------------

Q: Can you tell me this please?
1. Can we use our own caracter (pencil drawned/photoshop painted)
2. Can we use brushes techno etc.
3. Can i use what font did u use for you`re siggy?
4. Can it be animated

A:
1. Yes
2. Yes, but dont base your actual picture around it.
3. I can't remember where i got it.
4. animation is an unfair advantage to those who cannot use imageready/graphicsgale so i frown upon it.

--------------------

Q: So whats allowed/not allowed?

A: 300 x 300 size. No characters (anime, games). NO pairing up - As said above.

--------------------

Q: My question aint here.

A: Post below and wait for J-O-H-N to answer. Or read some of the disscusion below.

Last edited by a moderator:

HolyCow

What are the full rules? So far there's...

-No characters (anime, games)
-300x300
-??

I don't think the use of custom brushes should be allowed, anyone can grab a brush set, [ab]use the hell out of it and call it 'art'.

BountieHunter1

LOMCN Pro Member
Golden Oldie
Oct 18, 2003
London
J-O-H-N said:
1. Yes
2. Yes, but dont base your actual picture around it.
3. I can't remember where i got it.
4. animation is an unfair advantage to those who cannot use imageready/graphicsgale
so i frown upon it.

Heh btw can i make one with me bud?

J-O-H-N

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2004
those are the 2 main restrictions Holy, i think everyone should be able to do what they want with their peice, and it will create alot of variation, and as for the brushes situation, my post said "not to base your actual image around it", because brushes can create some very desirable effects when used correctly, of course if i see any heavy brush work i will no judge the peice and and the user to try again.

But thanks for your input.

---EDIT

No pairing up for this contest, perhaps my next contest will be a group piece where 4 people will join up and create one image by adding different bits to it as they go along, but for now this one is a solo contest.

BountieHunter1

LOMCN Pro Member
Golden Oldie
Oct 18, 2003
London
J-O-H-N said:
those are the 2 main restrictions Holy, i think everyone should be able to do what they want with their peice, and it will create alot of variation, and as for the brushes situation, my post said "not to base your actual image around it", because brushes can create some very desirable effects when used correctly, of course if i see any heavy brush work i will no judge the peice and and the user to try again.

But thanks for your input.

---EDIT

No pairing up for this contest, perhaps my next contest will be a group piece where 4 people will join up and create one image by adding different bits to it as they go along, but for now this one is a solo contest.

Huh ill just draw some techno dude and use some techo brushes to make a techno work :O. Ill probs do it tomorow (scanner @ school).

Btw - What size should layouts be? for 800*600 and 1200*700 ?

J-O-H-N

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2004
layout for this competition or a webpage layout? for this contest its 300x300 and for a proper webpage layout it varies but the most used is 800x600.

BountieHunter1

LOMCN Pro Member
Golden Oldie
Oct 18, 2003
London
J-O-H-N said:
layout for this competition or a webpage layout? for this contest its 300x300 and for a proper webpage layout it varies but the most used is 800x600.

I mean for a webpage , i thoat that it the webpage you make need`s to be bigger than 800*600 so it fits nicely in 800*600 (dunno if makes sence lol)

J-O-H-N

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2004
if your making a website, design your layout in 800x600, it does not necessarily need to fill the enter page, you can crop your layout down when your finished, but yeah for most people 800x600 looks best.

HolyCow

My entry is finished.

Last edited by a moderator:

YoYoYo

Milo's Sex Slave
Golden Oldie
May 11, 2003
My house
Thread pinned.

Thread cleaned. FAQ with peoples questions along with answers in main post added (I couldnt add them all like web layout by bountie cause thats kind of discussion).

Last edited:

J-O-H-N

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2004
to up the ante a bit, im also throwing in a free forum skin design as the winners prize alongside the hosting, come on people! show us what you got!

BountieHunter1

LOMCN Pro Member
Golden Oldie
Oct 18, 2003
London
J-O-H-N said:
to up the ante a bit, im also throwing in a free forum skin design as the winners prize alongside the hosting, come on people! show us what you got!

OMG!!!! i want to ****ing win :O nooooooooooooooooo ****ing scanner work *smashes it* grrrrrr i would reinstall it but im scared.... last time i tried i had 2 format my pc.

Edit - josh go on msn! em want to show u what em done

HolyCow

Here.

bloodstained-photo.jpg

J-O-H-N

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2004
very, very nice entry, i love the idea, but the blood effect looks a tad fake, the razor blade and the photo effect are very impressive. Nice entry, definately in the running for first place.

HolyCow

J-O-H-N said:
but the blood effect looks a tad fake
Yeah, I hate the way the blood came out. I may redo the blood at some point, would that be OK? Or are you operating on a "first submission only" rule?

J-O-H-N

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2004
entrants can submit as many as they like.

Please remember that they are judged on quality, not quantity ;)

Eddster

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 8, 2004
nothing speical i just wanted 2 enter summit as bored :P Vibe Speakers its called incase u didnt guess ;) :P lol

i still profer this i made before but its not 300x300 so on.. n no point cutting sum out or strinking coz it will take it outta proportion :(

Attachments

• vibe.jpg
    vibe.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 23
  • SoundTest.jpg
    SoundTest.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 21

J-O-H-N

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2004
very nice peice eddster, looks nice, and good combination of images, but i really think your overdoing the tech effect, perhaps your trying too hard to make it techy, the harder you try the worse it gets, i can say this from experience ;) but overall very nice peice.