Request Looking for a team

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
Well this thread had caused a stir at least.

@Apple & Beach can you tell me where you're from at least?
Sure, London.

Where you experience three seasons in one day.
Post automatically merged:

His cherrypicked words are quite appealing, No way thats a LOMCN Member
Hey @Jev , Can you see if hes an AI while your at it?
Dude, a lot of your posts scream insecurity. You need to look into this and find out the source. I am not a threat. I am a friend.
A

IHaveALongName

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 8, 2012
Qatar
Sure, London.

Where you experience three seasons in one day.

Dude, a lot of your posts scream insecurity. You need to look into this and find out the source. I am not a threat. I am a friend.
A
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm simply being active on a forum, apologies if you felt threatend by my questions interrogations
Im only having a friendly conversation trying to get to know you better Mr.Beast
That being said, welcome back to the community and Hello friend!

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm simply being active on a forum, apologies if you felt threatend by my questions interrogations
Im only having a friendly conversation trying to get to know you better Mr.Beast
That being said, welcome back to the community and Hello friend!
Sir, you’re quite circuitous.
I never left, my boy.
A

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
I'd be lying if I said the didn't want a server with longevity. I'd love a server that has a long lifespan in mind, and executes it well. Being completely honest, the only servers to do that in recent years were Mir Chronicles & Artificial (sort of, they had a couple good years but its now mostly fishers and the odd players).

The biggest challenge is keeping players interested. In my personal opinion there are a couple major factors to take into account to make a successful longevity server.

1) The first a most important: Don't create a Discord server. If you want somewhere for discussion, the Lomcn team can open a subsection forum dedicated to your server. Discords have proven time and time again that there are a handful of influential players that will cry till hearts content till they get their own way. Influence from players via discord has, and continues to kill Mir servers quickly.
2) The server has to be released in a good standard, i.e most of, if not 95% of bugs and glitches fixed. There are too many players out there with knowledge to exploit known bugs, but also makes gameplay awful, and off-putting. (So please don't rush a server together as your post did suggest), longevity requires game developer-like experience.
3) Do not rush content. Don't rush content updates as fast as you can create them. People do tend to reach end-game rather quick nowadays, and cry for further content, but the matter of fact is that it doesn't allow the casual player(s) time to experience the current content before being made irrelevant again. That's another great point, games nowadays do need to cater for both your jobless stay at home lazy bunch, and casuals so there needs to be a way of bridging that gap. In my opinion, your casuals are the most likely to stay around longer, as the people who race to the top are generally the ones who burn out quicker.
4) Don't be influenced by community cries for change. Sure, take on board any feedback, but ultimately make decisions on any changes or amendments based on your own test and analysis of the situation, and deal with it on a case by case basis.
5) Engage with the community. Keep the community up to date with planned changes, updates or behind the scenes. Hire community managers or mods to speak up on your behalf if your time is consumed. When server owners disappear or go silent, the community lose faith.
6) I know you've already touched on this, but don't create a server with profit in mind. Sure, find a way to make a few quid to cover the necessary costs, but one thing I've found with Mir is you have a wide range of demographics which can cause disadvantages.
7) Be innovative. Don't be scared to try something new. Think outside of the box, implement completely new, and unseen idea's.
8) Test, test & test again.
9) Don't be soft on the community. If they're purposely exploiting, or cheating, ban them, no exceptions.
10) Which brings me to my last piece of input. Purpose built anti-cheat software. It's become incredibly obvious that the servers around today are not at all capable of catching or dealing with cheats. A really good anti-cheat system will go a long long way with Mir, as players are constantly trying to find a way to gain unfair advantages.

There's my 50p timer expired, so I'll just retire to the background now. 👋

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
I'd be lying if I said the didn't want a server with longevity. I'd love a server that has a long lifespan in mind, and executes it well. Being completely honest, the only servers to do that in recent years were Mir Chronicles & Artificial (sort of, they had a couple good years but its now mostly fishers and the odd players).

The biggest challenge is keeping players interested. In my personal opinion there are a couple major factors to take into account to make a successful longevity server.

1) The first a most important: Don't create a Discord server. If you want somewhere for discussion, the Lomcn team can open a subsection forum dedicated to your server. Discords have proven time and time again that there are a handful of influential players that will cry till hearts content till they get their own way. Influence from players via discord has, and continues to kill Mir servers quickly.
2) The server has to be released in a good standard, i.e most of, if not 95% of bugs and glitches fixed. There are too many players out there with knowledge to exploit known bugs, but also makes gameplay awful, and off-putting. (So please don't rush a server together as your post did suggest), longevity requires game developer-like experience.
3) Do not rush content. Don't rush content updates as fast as you can create them. People do tend to reach end-game rather quick nowadays, and cry for further content, but the matter of fact is that it doesn't allow the casual player(s) time to experience the current content before being made irrelevant again. That's another great point, games nowadays do need to cater for both your jobless stay at home lazy bunch, and casuals so there needs to be a way of bridging that gap. In my opinion, your casuals are the most likely to stay around longer, as the people who race to the top are generally the ones who burn out quicker.
4) Don't be influenced by community cries for change. Sure, take on board any feedback, but ultimately make decisions on any changes or amendments based on your own test and analysis of the situation, and deal with it on a case by case basis.
5) Engage with the community. Keep the community up to date with planned changes, updates or behind the scenes. Hire community managers or mods to speak up on your behalf if your time is consumed. When server owners disappear or go silent, the community lose faith.
6) I know you've already touched on this, but don't create a server with profit in mind. Sure, find a way to make a few quid to cover the necessary costs, but one thing I've found with Mir is you have a wide range of demographics which can cause disadvantages.
7) Be innovative. Don't be scared to try something new. Think outside of the box, implement completely new, and unseen idea's.
9) Don't be soft on the community. If they're purposely exploiting, or cheating, ban them, no exceptions.
10) Which brings me to my last piece of input. Purpose built anti-cheat software. It's become incredibly obvious that the servers around today are not at all capable of catching or dealing with cheats. A really good anti-cheat system will go a long long way with Mir, as players are constantly trying to find a way to gain unfair advantages.

Great Job Yes GIF by Hollywood Suite

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006

I intend to consolidate communications here. This is about building a great server and driving traffic here for visibility.
I intend to explore all exploits and bugs and remedy before launch. This is a key priority.

Noted. I intend to use a long term approach within the content but also will make allowances for those who want to be in the fast lane. But remember, in the fast lane if you crash, you die.

Noted & appreciated.
Noted & appreciated.
Non-profit till the end, but donations will be permitted and funds circled back into content development and community growth.
Already there, thank you!
Testing is besting. I understand this concept well. Thank you.
Noted and firmly agreed. Any attempt to manipulate the games natural course will be met with furious anger.
You let me know who can build it or show me the way and I will follow.
Thank you for your contribution, the best one yet. This is what the type of posts I am eagerly anticipating. I trust more follow as it’s a project that we can all be apart of.

A

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
Omnibus' personality #204
Why thank you young man. 204 a great number.

I would implore those reading this thread to give input. This is a great time give your two cents, you are all valuable as individuals and have contributions to make to this project no matter what you may assume.

A

Damian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Ravagers
Game Master
Jun 13, 2003
I'm intrigued, what is your vision for mir? Do you have any specific ideas in mind that would enhance the game and engage the player base all while keeping that unique mir experience.

It's been touched on by quite a few members that servers these days do die pretty quickly, hence it would probably take something pretty radical to change this, determination alone will not.

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
I'm intrigued, what is your vision for mir? Do you have any specific ideas in mind that would enhance the game and engage the player base all while keeping that unique mir experience.

It's been touched on by quite a few members that servers these days do die pretty quickly, hence it would probably take something pretty radical to change this, determination alone will not.
Hi Damian. Great question.

I’m currently researching through quite an expansive about of threads and posts over the last ten years here and putting together it all together for review.

I have noted that server development and player engagement was always high initially then rapidly decline after initial profits where made or interest was lost by server creator/operator.

To connect this with your question, I feel the right thing to do is to have a strong foundation of files to work with initially.A great example of this would be the Chronicles files stability and features.

My vision is oriented towards player experience and maximising player interaction In game - I have a bunch of ideas and concepts to encourage this but that is something I plan to share once I’m able to gather more intelligence on the limitations of certain server files.

I’m quite aware to not confuse my intention with my wherewithal so I am completely confident I can deliver on my side, it’s the participating parties that I will need to negotiate with to get this on its feet, quickly.

If the Lomcn Gods allow me passage, I shall easily deliver a server of 300-400 UC.
A

Well this thread is rolling along nicely :)

Feels slightly condescending or is that just me?
2003….. remarkable.

I do feel slight friction sir and pessimism, but it is expected as with all things, change is inevitable and most times suspect to ill thoughts.

What keeps you coming back after 21years?
A

Last edited:

sweetfa

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 30, 2003
UK
Hi Damian. Great question.

I’m currently researching through quite an expansive about of threads and posts over the last ten years here and putting together it all together for review.

I have noted that server development and player engagement was always high initially then rapidly decline after initial profits where made or interest was lost by server creator/operator.

To connect this with your question, I feel the right thing to do is to have a strong foundation of files to work with initially.A great example of this would be the Chronicles files stability and features.

My vision is oriented towards player experience and maximising player interaction In game - I have a bunch of ideas and concepts to encourage this but that is something I plan to share once I’m able to gather more intelligence on the limitations of certain server files.

I’m quite aware to not confuse my intention with my wherewithal so I am completely confident I can deliver on my side, it’s the participating parties that I will need to negotiate with to get this on its feet, quickly.

If the Lomcn Gods allow me passage, I shall easily deliver a server of 300-400 UC.
A

2003….. remarkable.

I do feel slight friction sir and pessimism, but it is expected as with all things, change is inevitable and most times suspect to ill thoughts.

What keeps you coming back after 21years?
A
The people here and also the game :) I am a diehard fan albeit an older one now. I didnt mean to cause any offence you just had a strange manerism when speaking to others. We are normally more relaxed on here and a little less formal. We all dream of that "Perfect" server but it will be no easy task and if you decide to go through with this (i for one hope you do) I do not envy you.

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Nice to see you got the account back mate.

People on here seem to think that the pump and dump servers are how Mir is now, however I believe there are still a select few devs who actually want to put out a decent server, still make a few quid in the process and keep Mir alive.

Take your time with it and do it properly ;)

Reactions: Hurricane

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
Nice to see you got the account back mate.

People on here seem to think that the pump and dump servers are how Mir is now, however I believe there are still a select few devs who actually want to put out a decent server, still make a few quid in the process and keep Mir alive.

Take your time with it and do it properly ;)
Totally agree sir.

I've waited far too long in anticipation of something made with love to appear.

I hope to get some initial messages back to me before Friday from certain Devs I have messaged. At that point in time I will understand what the real challenges are to be. I have a particular set of files I want, I believe I am the right person to build on the success of these files and protect them.

A

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
Do you have plan to use Crystal for your server? If so wouldn’t it be best to go through the massive list of bugs and have those fixed for everyone?
Depends on the flexibility of those files and what we can do with them to bring in features and functionality. Do you advise crystal? Are they the best out right now? What are the best files right now to use?

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Depends on the flexibility of those files and what we can do with them to bring in features and functionality. Do you advise crystal? Are they the best out right now? What are the best files right now to use?
Crystal is the only open source set of Mir 2 files, I’d argue the best option but people have their own views.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Crystal is the only option lol (for mir2)... nobody has used anything else in ~10 years.

Reactions: Jev

Apple & Beach

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 29, 2006
Why have the bugs not been resolved? What is the main factor ?
I will be looking into crystal..
A

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Why have the bugs not been resolved? What is the main factor ?
I will be looking into crystal..
A
Because people use Crystal as a base, create servers from it, profit from it and then don't push the bug fixes they do to the main open source. But then you fall into "I paid £5 to have that bug fixed", at the end of the day those people moaning of the bugs are the same people who have fixed them on their own forks and not given back.