Map Editor - Ideas

smoochy boys on tour

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Hi Guys and Gals,
I'm rewriting my old map editor to be faster and more flexible. I am including a pluging system that allows people to make useful addons.

I have to hard code some features into my program to let you access them.

An example being the scoll bars, I had added a command that people can use in their scripts, it is:
BottomScroller(Position, Visible);

What other commands would people like? The ability to draw images as an overlay on the map? The ability to force the editor to read new wils?

I need some idea on just how flexible you want the plugin system to be.

Test Release:
http://rapidshare.com/files/412206655/TestRelease.rar.html

Forgot to mention it goes in Data folder.

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
Maybe a plugin to allow you to change the resolution the editor displays the map in?

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Hi Guys and Gals,
I'm rewriting my old map editor to be faster and more flexible. I am including a pluging system that allows people to make useful addons.

I have to hard code some features into my program to let you access them.

An example being the scoll bars, I had added a command that people can use in their scripts, it is:
BottomScroller(Position, Visible);

What other commands would people like? The ability to draw images as an overlay on the map? The ability to force the editor to read new wils?

I need some idea on just how flexible you want the plugin system to be.

I got some gawj ideas, ill msn them to you, thought of them today

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
I've added a zoom function for that, 2x zoom is essentially what you see ingame :)

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
I would really like a delete tool, that deletes the whole object, rather than the tiles, if this is possible.

Or maybe a way you could highlight areas, so you could highlight an area to change attributes, or highlight an area to delete objects.

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Okie dokie, I'll add something like that, but it will be late on, I have a lot to do in getting basic functionality in first :)
I aim to make it very user friendly in the end. If I don't finish it, source will be released :)

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Ideas:
  • Removal of small tiles
  • Ability to erase selectet areas of selected items. (E.g you draw a box and erase all tiles in that area)
  • Mass lighting tool (user defined area)
  • User defined area of auto draw (common size is 4x4, would be nice to draw 10x4)
  • Unlimited Undo's
  • Regular temp save files/auto saves
  • save as a jpg
  • Pick point tool to pick selected attributes, and record them in a .txt file
  • Ability to shuffle tiles in object builder
  • Ability to move and edit a mir.set file (mir.set viewer?)
  • Ability to open two custom mir.set files in tandem
  • Turn off light levels option

Speak on msn if you need details on any of these, bit sketchy XD

I would really like a delete tool, that deletes the whole object, rather than the tiles, if this is possible.

Or maybe a way you could highlight areas, so you could highlight an area to change attributes, or highlight an area to delete objects.

Would that be even possible? As objects aren't placed on the map as objects, but as individual tiles.

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
a randomize feature.

for example, you can set areas of 100x100 , and it knows what tile type corresponds to the next.

for example, you wanted an area of grass, the shape doesnt matter as long as its not square, just a random shape. It knows your background tile is sand, so it sets the 100x100 area with grass>grass+sand>sand around the edges of the grass area.

im most likely asking to much.

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
I can do all the things listed, it's just a matter of time, but I'll definately work on adding the features, just finishing off the editing part of the map program haha.

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
could you reupload it or anyone else somewhere else? got corrupted and gotta w8 15 min :(

Hazuki

VIP
VIP
Apr 14, 2004
United Kingdom
Maybe an option to auto generate maps all together? I was going to post saying an option to randomly add cliffs around the edge of a map, if this is possible why not extent it and have it randomly generate caves say? (Or have I not had enough sleep and talking rubbish lol?)

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
Maybe an option to auto generate maps all together? I was going to post saying an option to randomly add cliffs around the edge of a map, if this is possible why not extent it and have it randomly generate caves say? (Or have I not had enough sleep and talking rubbish lol?)

i was also gonna suggest this but wasnt sure if it was possible, thought tiles would be abit easier, but it would be nice to auto gen maps, map making in mir is tedious.

also a box around the object showing its actual shape, im sure im not alone when i say iv put an object down (cliffs mostly), it didnt match, tried to align it and it didnt match again..

also an option to view all these boxes around objects that have been placed, so you know how much room you have left to fit more objects in, without worrying about overlap.

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Anything is possible with time, i just have to work out some way of labelling and adding tiles that match, it can be done but would be an extensive piece of code and will take some time.
And delphi was one of the few languages I tested that was fast enough to draw on demand, the others had more lag and weren't as effiecient.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
cant see how it would be possible to have a random map generator... how would it even know how to link what bits of wall together etc...

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
I'd have to give tiles a code label, then work on some routine to match the code lables together. It would be a big project to be honest, one that I don't think would get used all that much so I'll have to see how it goes.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
its pointless and would take forever..... and defeats the point of map making.

could spend months doing that when in that time could of done something a lot better lol

Primal

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jun 28, 2004
its pointless and would take forever..... and defeats the point of map making.

could spend months doing that when in that time could of done something a lot better lol

i agree with u rly lol think a random map generator is pointless and will probably never work right. easier to make ur own map tbh

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Lol euro maps don't even connect properly, and a pc can't do a bodge job like a user could. Also as stated takes point and custom feel away from mapping, anything random shouldn't be added as it defeats point of making maps.