**MISSING**

smoochy boys on tour

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
Like it's said before, you just need to not let people get to you; When I ran TPR, I got a lot of arsey comments, some abuse ,but I didn't block or mute a single person, because they are your Player base, and even though what they are saying may be unjust, sometimes people just need to vent their frustrations in different ways.

Sounds impressive, I can stomach a hell of a lot of bs but when I was admin on Valk's discord it was spam chaos and arseholes galore, laughed it off most off and played the game most of the time, didn't have that much directed at me but I couldn't imagine how much direct messages were coming at Valk when I knew how many spammy arseholes existed.

And ye, Discord, even when moderated would be less moderated, it's way more live chat than forum but proper organising channels and slowing down chat can seriously help filter and can make Discord into an ideal place, "forum worthy".

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
The toxic community getting to Wittin who is a very nice guy was one of my biggest concerns from the off. It's a catch 22 though... as soon as you start operating like a business, people think they have certain rights to say and expect whatever they want, because money is involved.

Trying to make Discord anything more than a CHAT ROOM is ludicrous though. There's absolutely no argument to require that level of "instant feedback" from a GM/team perspective. It's virtually impossible to moderate and just ends up being a breeding ground for toxicity. Which it was even before the server went live. I recall checking it a few hours before live and instantly saw the same culprits like Jesus and Excala etc spamming the same old abusive crap they do on every server, and it was an instant turn off for me. How many other people who don't wish to see that kind of junk on an 'official communication/news' platform felt the same I wonder and the fact that wasn't nipped in the bud was alarm bells. On top of that, trying to filter the feedback/bugs/suggestions/information from the inane chatter/spam/flames... you gotta be crazy

That's aimed at anyone thinking about releasing a serious server... stop 👏 doing 👏 it 👏 forums are free too
but hey no one listens to me :)

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
The toxic community getting to Wittin who is a very nice guy was one of my biggest concerns from the off. It's a catch 22 though... as soon as you start operating like a business, people think they have certain rights to say and expect whatever they want, because money is involved.

Nobody could say it better!

Reactions: LightBringer

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
I don't like to use the word 'Toxic' lightly as over the past couple of years it's been brutally over used to the point of squashing anything related to negativity even without hints of proper personal attack, therefore pretty much drowning out most banter and jokes, for me being Toxic is only direct personal attacks that aren't in anyway warranted, usually spawned from being extremely immature.

However, I think toxic is a warranted term for Excala, his attitude is ******* attrocious, I think Jesus isn't nearly as bad deep down, I think that guy is just an emotional rek.
The Mir community can clean up Discord pretty easily imo if these people were just highlighted and always booted off, Excala for sure and Jesus if he sets one foot wrong put him on a very long ban.

Server owners just need to rely on certain strong members of the community and make them mods, I know a good few of you have trust issues but you need to re-ignite the faith! xD

Belle

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 25, 2019
TPR discord got closed to read only for months because it got that bad, the problem mostly with artificial discord is the lack of communication.......

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Its the way people give 'feedback'

They expect you to change things from "Blizzard is Overpowered" - 0 context.

IT could be a level 44 wizard used blizzard and 1 shot a level 20 - well yeah ofcourse.

or Player1 / Player 2 fighting in PvP, blizzard was dropped and 1 shot him - this way we can recreate the scenario and actually test it.

If players improved the way they gave feedback it would make the server teams life a lot easier, and theirs (as stuff would get fixed and balanced quicker)
Post automatically merged:

TPR discord got closed to read only for months because it got that bad, the problem mostly with artificial discord is the lack of communication.......

On our new server, the forum button goes directly to LOMCN, as does our website forum button! haha

Discord will still be used but still deciding what capacity, as I do like a good busy forum (hence my 1000s of posts lol)

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I don't like to use the word 'Toxic' lightly as over the past couple of years it's been brutally over used to the point of squashing anything related to negativity

I agree it's become one of those buzz words that are overused like many things now, but I also think there's no denying that one the whole the mir community is genuinely quite toxic. That can also be said about many gaming communities though.

Reactions: WelshSteel

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
TPR discord got closed to read only for months because it got that bad

Oh reeeeeally

Valk never closed, just slowed chat by 1-2 min, we need a best discord award on LOMCN 💪

That can also be said about many gaming communities though.

As I said I think it just stems from immaturity, quite a few hard gamers don't interact on a personal level a lot, when a new server drops and everyone is buzzing you quickly see this bad trait :p

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
To be fair, the arti discord has had a lot of really good feedback pretty much ignored or dismissed. Plenty of evidence of cheating was submitted and was dismissed as high ping (basically saying that the higher ping you had the better).

just needs to be managed better. Tbf, I’d happily help considering I spend quite a lot of time browsing the channels.

Reactions: ventus

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I agree it's become one of those buzz words that are overused like many things now, but I also think there's no denying that one the whole the mir community is genuinely quite toxic. That can also be said about many gaming communities though.

Oh yeah, Mir is light compared to some (LoL / Dead by Daylight have 2 awful communities)

Toxicity on the above 2 seem to stem from competitiveness from people who are bad at the game, people who are good at the game just 'BM' when they win lol

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
It's completely understandable that LoL and other major popular online games are toxic though as many millions of under 18's play the game and most of them couldn't come up with an original thought even if you asked a genie to shove the needed intelligence/experience up their arse.

Competiveness does potentially bring out the worst in people, especially when a game itself is straight forward, most mmo's breed toxicity naturally through their mechanics ie the more you play/level the stronger you are and therefore bully people in pvp or out of zones, the weak are left to swallow it and complain like b1tches, discord is a nice place.

In my experience, the game devs/owners are never innocent (which is so true for Riot Games let me tell you!), due to how their game works, lack of good playability/partying systems with others or leaving stuff broken/not balancing correctly, frustrations lead to anger, anger leads to potentially toxicity ;p

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
✋ banned Jesus before, would do it again in the blink of an eye.

Biggest problem with discord is u can make several troll accounts easily and fast.

Love discord and forums though for different reasons.

Artificial was fun for me, wiz wiz/hero combo was a first, and I enjoyed it... Couldn’t understand some of the features “that were official” and they wouldn’t tweak them even though they were broke and abused.

I knew the UC was inflated double by fishing and mining but did it bother me? Not really. Happens in all servers, just should have taken the gems and armour casts out of it and left eels then it would have been sorted.

But overall I enjoyed playing

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
So to summarise, discord isn't the best place for server owners to manage their server from if they're weak as **** mentally.

By the looks of it, they're not interested in using the forum either.