new progress (custom armours+animation)

stephenking

I HAVE A DREAM!!
Developer
Aug 28, 2005
Netherlands
hello all
its been a long time since i showed myself.
i had alot of problems with crashed HardDrives ( losing alot of projects )
although i still managed to continue some projects.

i just wanted to show you guys some previews.

keep in mind this is still a work in progress.

construction of model in Maya 2008:
prev1.bmp

prev2.bmp

Rendered out images:
prev3.bmp
prev4.bmp

Ingame test :
ingame1.bmp

i admit its far from perfect but i came a long way :P.

before anyone asks :
yes this would make dual wield possible.
and all kinds of animation related stuff.

hope you guys like it

Reactions: Nemo

Nemo

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
UK -Manchester
Good job.

I had also done half hum anims to match Mirs, and had a model in place, so I could make armours too. looks like you need to change your rendering settings though, as well as tweak the lighting. also need a way to do the shadows, I kinda made half a way with mine but never got round to finishing it. :P

I use Max. Mine was looking like this, also needed tweaking.

male.jpg

Female.jpg

Obv. orig hums on the right.. :P

Last edited:

stephenking

I HAVE A DREAM!!
Developer
Aug 28, 2005
Netherlands
yes your right i still got some work to do before it would even fit mir.
the biggest problem imo will be recreating the existing armours so you could add animations to the standard ones.

i must say yours are looking very nice :D

as for the shadows :
Maya has an option to project shadows on a plain , but would probly need work for it to fit mir aswel

Last edited:

Nemo

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
UK -Manchester
Thanks
Yeah, you need a checker-board shadow map with it too, and then shadow made the right colour ofc.

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
That looks pretty sweet. Is that wemades character model?

stephenking

I HAVE A DREAM!!
Developer
Aug 28, 2005
Netherlands
i found a way to cast shadows.
i made the shadow green so it would be easy to write a tool that discards all but the green pixels.
put a checkerboard over it and re-color it .

render preview :

View attachment MirMale1.bmp

just saying its possible to achieve

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
yes your right i still got some work to do before it would even fit mir.
the biggest problem imo will be recreating the existing armours so you could add animations to the standard ones.

I Haven't Posted on here for a good while myself but i'll bite, i started a similar project with LCD a few years back for the ruby files, at the time i was creating weapons/helmets in 3dsmax, then we came to the conclusion to create an archer class, at first myself and nemo tried rehashing the mir images in particular orders to recreate the pull motion of the bow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v2id1bViyw), but it wasnt great. so i took the challenge on to recreate the mir armours for an existing rigg, so i could reanimate all of the animations (add new / such)

while it is a fairly big task to recreate all the mir armours/animations (male n female are very different in most cases), your talking of a huge amount of armours in total, which now i would advise not rebuilding them, and building a complete new set instead. this way u can cut half your workload by making the armours interchangeable for both genders, and give the game the new content in which is lacks at the same time.

here is some of the armours i made which i still have the renders of (female still needed alot of work), bare in mind these was made along time ago, i have improved a lot since.

maskarmours.jpg

the reasons behind not finishing them was a few of factors, lcd's baby was due (so he wasnt as active), and i came to the conclusion that rebuilding the character, his animations , his weapons , his armours , his equipment would be time better spent creating my own IP, where i have alot more freedom, and thus i started a new game in the style of mir with nemo,egon which is currently ongoing :)

just wondering how far you are with this, have you completed just the standard mir animations 2.3, or added fishing / riding / assassin class that ruby supports?

its good to see other 3d people active, and i can appreciate the amount of effort that goes into something like this, i just thought some of this information(my own experiance) might be useful to you, all the best with your project.

/Mask

Last edited:

1PKRyan

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Nov 9, 2007
No
Looks great, just got my hands on Maya 2013. Did abit of Maya Modelling back in the day but no where near what you lot are doing :P Be nice to have a section for modelling, my bad if we already have one.

PS: Nice sig Nemo :)

Nemo

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
UK -Manchester
Looks great, just got my hands on Maya 2013. Did abit of Maya Modelling back in the day but no where near what you lot are doing :P Be nice to have a section for modelling, my bad if we already have one.

PS: Nice sig Nemo :)

Thanks :P its from what Turrican mentioned there when we was doing archer and just piecing current hum images together to create anims lol.

I agree it should have a modelling section, or a development section that focuses around imagery etc. rather than just being in general releases. Forum needs a lot more sections to broaden its horizons and breathe new life into it, wont happen though.

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
Thanks :P its from what Turrican mentioned there when we was doing archer and just piecing current hum images together to create anims lol.

I agree it should have a modelling section, or a development section that focuses around imagery etc. rather than just being in general releases. Forum needs a lot more sections to broaden its horizons and breathe new life into it, wont happen though.

New sections wouldn't get any life breathed into them though, that's the problem lol, as far as i see the forum is barely generating 20 posts a day.

/Mask

Last edited:

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
I would like to see Graphic & Desing branch out abit, maybe add a few sub sections to define what it is you've used and want to use, i got a list of programs i can upload (portable version + plugins). 3D would be the main priority though, we need a dedicated spot for it so people can get the programs, view tutorials and download free meshes / textures and other assets required to start off with.

With that in mind, Unity3D would be a nice section to look at adding, maybe to the programming section... Alot of people are in the dark of its capabilities... i myself love the functions and ease of use it offers.

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
A section for C++ and the Unreal dev Kit would be good.