Passed my MCDST 70-271/272 exams :)

hellcaster

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 24, 2005
woo, passed both of my exams so im now a qualified MCDST :) and MCP :)
ive also passed my CompTIA A+ 602 and 601 and taking my network + in the up coming two weeks :) everyone keeps telling me this is good for my age as im 17. ive also applied for a job thats £1200 after tax on a support desk, 8:30 - 9:30 :)

T0MMY

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 5, 2007
United Kingdom
ive also passed my CompTIA A+ 602 and 601 and taking my network + in the up coming two weeks :) everyone keeps telling me this is good for my age as im 17. ive also applied for a job thats £1200 after tax on a support desk, 8:30 - 9:30 :)

Good luck but don't bank on it your only young, experience is what recruits people now.

Congratulations on what ever that is.

hellcaster

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 24, 2005
lol yeah i've also been told that as well which is a shame ;\ but my college help me find a job so that should be ok :)

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
If memory serves me right there microsoft technician qualifications as i was nearly recruited into something like that too at one point. 100% pass or fail isn't it?

Anyway good job man and it's great to hear you're doing so well.

/Maz

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Your certifications just show you know those technologies, if you have no experience then your boned 80% of the time. I went to college at 15 and done a HND when i was done I couldnt get a job i finally gave up and ground out 5 years at uni with a placement which was the best part.

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN

Zenos Accademy? I went their last year, Network+ is the hardest ;P

GdfSniper

Repentant
Dedicated Member
Jun 5, 2004
i went to zenos two years ago also lol. The first year it opened in west london. What branch did you go to? My friend went to the academy in birmingham i think it was.

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
i went to zenos two years ago also lol. The first year it opened in west london. What branch did you go to? My friend went to the academy in birmingham i think it was.

I went to the Warrington Accademy. I hear they pay £100 a week to their students now ;P

hellcaster

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 24, 2005
hahahahaha. yeah it was zenos :P next intake is £100 a week. =[ and i went to birmingham academy xD

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
hahahahaha. yeah it was zenos :P next intake is £100 a week. =[ and i went to birmingham academy xD

Hehe nice, Zenos is certainly getting more funding, when i finished they had £100 to spend on a leaving party for 50 students. My sister went the next in-take and they spent like £50 per person at her leaving party (Alton Towers) xD

She won the best student award for the north-west, even though I got better marks lol :x

Good luck in yah exam mate, shouldnt be a problem though, looks like you've done well so far ;)

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Well done mate

Never been to college, and have no IT qualifications. yet i work in IT as a Systems technician.

i can take what ever exam I want thats to do with IT and my company will pay for it, so ideally you want to just steadily get your self in an office job and push you way into IT, that's what i did.

hellcaster

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 24, 2005
haha dunno about leaving party, didnt even think they did it? my network + is gnna be harder cos i will have to pay for it myself so tis my own money going to waste if i fail it lol xD and thanks :)

hellcaster

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 24, 2005
soul what scores did u get in ure a+ and mcdst exams? my mate in my class got the highest score every in the academy for the mcdst 271 he got 95% which is 39/40 he only got one wrong!! lol and he doesnt even wanna do computers this is a backup incase anything goes wrong with what hes planning on doing lol its mad.

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
soul what scores did u get in ure a+ and mcdst exams? my mate in my class got the highest score every in the academy for the mcdst 271 he got 95% which is 39/40 he only got one wrong!! lol and he doesnt even wanna do computers this is a backup incase anything goes wrong with what hes planning on doing lol its mad.

Yeah i had to pay about £60 for my Net+ exam too >.<

Marks dont really matter in these types of exams, you either pass or fail lol ;P
Anyways heres mine:

A+ Certification 601 (Marks – 860 / 900 or 95.5%)
A+ Certification 602 (Marks – 855 / 900 or 95%)
Network+ Course Test (Marks - 89%)
MCDST 72-271 (Marks – 966 / 1000 or 96.6%)
MCDST 72-272 (Marks – 976 / 1000 or 97.6%)

Last edited:

mapadale

MCDST is fast becoming outdated and so will be updated to reflect the current OS levels, also the other issue with the MCDST is that it shows you how to go about doing things the Microsoft way and unfortuantly in an industry where SLA is key to the clients, then its no good. As pointed out 99% of the time experience is what is needed, as you need to know the quick way of fixing things instead of the long winded way.

As for the A+ this is a waste of money nowadays, as the A+ is 70% hardware. Which is swapped out on break fix contracts and so the only thing you do is report that the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced, the N+ however is a great starting point if you want to go towards the network side of things.

What I would sugest though, is watch out for the type of service desk jobs you go for and gain enough informaiton about them before applying. As a hardware service desk is not a very good route to go down, if you want a successfull job in the IT industry. Try looking for more software based service desks, those that are Microsoft and Cisco accredited, especially if they are gold/platinum partners. As these are the type of companys that will invest in your time and invest in you in the long run.

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
Well done on passing them. As people have said experience is the main thing employers go for, you have a wide variety of quals there if i was you i would go more specific. I did the A+ ment a few years back then just did the cisco it essentials which is roughly same, im just completing my CCNA course atm. I also have a few Military security and system qualifications but not really related to civilian companys enless they are contracted to work MOD on IT and theres not many.

mapadale

Well done on passing them. As people have said experience is the main thing employers go for, you have a wide variety of quals there if i was you i would go more specific. I did the A+ ment a few years back then just did the cisco it essentials which is roughly same, im just completing my CCNA course atm. I also have a few Military security and system qualifications but not really related to civilian companys enless they are contracted to work MOD on IT and theres not many.
Most of the MoD systems are RedHat lynux and not many companys support this type of system, don't know why though as it's a lot easier to fix than a windows system at times.

HeadHunter

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 18, 2007
Stoke, UK
Sorry to sound a noob but i have no clue to what a MCDST 70-271/272 exam is

Is it something to do with Microsoft and helps you to get a job being on a support desk or something along those lines?