Please rate my shading

02goswej

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 12, 2004
United Kingdom
Hi been practicing a bit and please can you grade my SHADING ONLY lol i know the picture still needs work but i just want ya to grade my shading :P

EDIT! LOL FORGOT THE WHITE AROUND THE EYES 0.o THOUGHT THERE WAS SUMMIT WIERD ABOUT IT

ADDDED HUGE ONE....you have been warned (LOL on this one you can see little bits of paint out of line :'()

Last edited:

TxGraphicz

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 12, 2006
The shading isn't bad but you've over shaded some areas and shaded area's that don't need shadows, The right part of the hair for example you have over shaded and it almost makes that part of the hair look 2D where as the left side of his hair is done quite nicely and has a 3D effect.

Also the shading on his headplate looks abit sketchy and not smooth, apart from that it's actually done quite nicely and the white lines on the hair give it a nice effect aswell.

P.S - lol Blue naruto?

w00t84

Big Dick
Golden Oldie
May 25, 2004
Newcastle!
It's pretty good really, I prefer the smoother bits to the more jolty ones on the far left of the hair, the stuff in the middle is better. The shading on the face is okay aswell, not bad overall.

02goswej

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 12, 2004
United Kingdom
Lol made a new one without as much messy shading, (THIS ISNT OFF AN ANIME LOL I MADE A QUICK DOODLE 0.o)

(PLEASE NOTE IMAGE SHACK IS BEING A ***** LOL!! SO I HAVE TO USE THIS WEBSITE WAT COMPRESSES IT MAKING IT S****Y DETAIL :( SOZ!)

P.S Thank's for all you'r Comment's They Help Me So Much! (Y)

Last edited:

TxGraphicz

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 12, 2006
The shading under the fringe is over done and you can see near the ear that that bit of fringe has a straight bit of shading? Apart from that the actual hair looks ok, can I just say the pink bits don't go too well though on her face. A better way to shade digital art is with block colours, well what I mean is use the normal circle brush to shade and try it like that.

As the brush you have atm gives a kinda glow effect ( forgot the name of the brush lol ) and i'll use Rukia as an example. Notice how the animator shades her with block colours rather then actually trying to shade like you would in a real image.

But seems ok as you're starting out etc, still really nice work if you're only using a mouse.

02goswej

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 12, 2004
United Kingdom
THANKS LOL xD Ill use the block round brushes next, and ye im using a mouse. In about an hour or so might be going to get a tablet ^^ might help me :X

w00t84

Big Dick
Golden Oldie
May 25, 2004
Newcastle!
What he said ^^^ everything was basically what I was going to type, probably said in just a more understandable way.

Well done TX.

02goswej

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 12, 2004
United Kingdom
Tried agen think it looks a bit better :)

Some of the shading is a bit wobbly cause my mouse was being a noob :( Gotto get a tablet when i can b asses to go PC World -.-"

Last edited:

TxGraphicz

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 12, 2006
Yeah dude I agree, it's a huge improvement imo. Now all you need to do is working on smoothing off the shade lines, but you're getting better so good luck with your next few drawings, will be nice to see.

Edit - Mouth might need some work on that latest one though lol.

Last edited:

02goswej

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 12, 2004
United Kingdom
xD LOL ty im not as smooth with mouse as i am with pen so if i get a pad tomoz or next weekend they should improve quite a bit :X ty for the feedback it really help's..

The mouth is just a rush job lawl xD im not really bothering too much with little things on these (PLEASE DONT NOTICE THE EAR RINGS ON NO2 xD) lol but ye

THANK's ALL! :)

02goswej

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 12, 2004
United Kingdom
Hmmm, Thank's for the tip but Photoshop's pen for me is...unusable rofl 0.o ill practice it 0.o for outlines i use pen in illustrator ^^ so shudnt be too hard to pick up, Ty Perebble

TxGraphicz

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 12, 2006
Yeah the pentool is quite hard to use at first, but practise makes perfect lol.

02goswej

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 12, 2004
United Kingdom
Also, consider using something like the pen tool to smooth off the edges.

Eg, draw the overlay area you want to be the nice, smooth edge of your shaded area, select newly drawn area, and clear that area on the layer of your shading.

Would clear up any mouse inconsistency.

Lol, I dont understand what you mean :/. Can you give me an example >.< lol

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
That looks to be using the pen tool, if it is, nice job.

To make the edges smooth, when you click to make the next point, hold the mouse button down and move the mouse. You'll see what I mean once you've tried it.