Reads CD's but not DVD

w00t84

Big Dick
Golden Oldie
May 25, 2004
Newcastle!
I'm trying to write something to a DVD disc which I've put in my DVD-RW but to no avail, everytime I try to move the folder onto the disc I get an error saying:

"Windows has encountered a problem when trying to copy this folder. What do you want to do?"

Gives me the choices 'Retry', 'Skip' and 'Cancel'.

Any ideas how I can make it work? :bounce:

DeathWish

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Oct 29, 2003
sumtimes drives **** up n stop reading either the cds or the dvds... my dvd drive dont read cds anymore... ****ing load of bollox tbh, didnt last tht long eitha bowt 2months

w00t84

Big Dick
Golden Oldie
May 25, 2004
Newcastle!
I'm pretty pissed off about that if it is broken, I'll take it back to the shop...

I very rarely use it either.

Dr3AmScAp3

Banned
Banned
Veteran
I'm pretty pissed off about that if it is broken, I'll take it back to the shop...

I very rarely use it either.

Its not broken.

The reason I know this being that the lazer that is used for reading disk's is also the same lazer that writes to disk. What I would suggest is removing the filters from the registery, uninstalling the device and then reboot your machine - This will then allow the filters to be re-written by windows and allow you to write to disk again.

Also what are you using to burn, cause if from what I've read. You have tried drag and drop, unfortunatly windows can be a bit of a bugger when writing files in this format and doesn't always work.

Also you could try a lense cleaner as this can sometimes help also.

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
Hey i had this problem just downloaded win rar installer rar`d it up put it on the disk with the win rar installer job done :) But if your doing something that you need non rar`d then ignore this :)

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
steish i dont mind spamming your friend!!!!!!

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM FK OFF STEISH SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

did YOU see the hidden message for steish?

lol i bored , suck a donkey.

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
if you're using Windows XP then that is your problem, Windows Xp hasn't got a built-in feature for burning DVD's, only CD's

to burn a dvd on Windows XP, you will need to use a seperate application, i.e nero or poweriso