Server advices(imo obv)

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
Im doing this thread to post couple SIMPLE ideas about mir cause im tired reading about 10 upcoming servers with weird features that make no sence and usually they either never come up or when they do they fail miserably.

1)Stop bothering about 2.6 files,new spells,new classes,new mobs AI and crap like that. 2.3 files are more than enouf to make a nice ish server without TOO many bugs and balance issues. On 2.3 u can already alter the strength of specific useless spells,give any spell to any class and in general customise it as much u want. If you introduce a subclass system like the 1 OS had u can really make something amazing.

2)Stop making euro clones.They just aint fun.Never were.Only reason specific euro clones like RZ/MR succeeded was the lack of custom servers at the time.Even actual euro would fail if there was a FH-like server properly run by a big company at the time.They just lack potential and they are meaningless.

3)Stop bothering about exp rates.A server with 20sets and 20 caves from lvl1-10 is as good and will last as much as a server with 20sets and 20caves from lvl1-100.Why no1 ever bothered making a server with REALLY LOW exp were max lvl is 10 but u get lvl45 hp ish on lvl1 and ALL spells?Something like that not only would be unique but would also make server really easy to balance without stats going over 1k(no matter how high stats u use) even if u use 20 sets lvl1-10

4)Stop bothering with features like invasions, LMS etc.All these are nice but a good mir server is based on a good economy with tons of items and proper dropfiles.Once you do that u can add all the weird stats you want.Without items/dropfiles all those features mean *** all.

5)Dont be scared to use euro maps.They are best maps out there and ppl are familiar with em and i bet they prefer em over maps with weird tiles and no mmap.After all you can create completely new caves just by using euro maps.
For example take BC cave,put woomas and a WG on first floor,Woomas and a WT on 2nd,Zombies and ghouls on 3rd etc etc.That way u can create loads of BDD/OST(from OS server) like maps with different mobs/bosses per floor which imo are the most enjoyable to hunt in.

6)Donations...Well no1 should care about em.You wanna have everything donateable?Np as long everything drops in proper rate.You dont want donations?Even better as long as you can be arsed to keep working on server for nothing.Just dont put anything donateable only even if its just 1.1x exp for 3mins.Its annoying

In general doing simple **** like the above that recquire no coding and not even scripting could create a v n1 server.Or you can keep trying to make capture-the-flag, king-of-the-hill modes or a bard class or crap like that that look nice on an advertisment but mean *** all ingame

/Mitsos

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
i agree with some of your opinions and some not...

1. I don't agree, 2.6 features are needed new mob ai, sin (some don't like some do) who cares its another class, mounts could be put to better use, subclass's ruin the whole point of a individual class...

2. Agree.

3. Disagree, would be too boring, i love to gain levels i don't mind low rates but not that low :P

4. Agree.

5. Agree, nothing wrong with the euro maps were all used to them but make it slightly different as suggested.

6.Don't mind donations as long as the host has a dedi with no lag (as possible) and you don't sell items you wear.

Anonlol

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
2.6? Not fussed. Mob AI? You on about stuff like the AI where the mob moves faster than the server can display and rapes the **** out of you/repulsing and omaking nuking? Thats not fun, its buggy and looks ameteur

Euro clones can work in the sense that they had rates and drops right (As in it was fairly easy to get 42 then it slowed down there letting you geek it to lvl or able to boss hunt at a reasonable speed)

Levelling, yeah, when you get the spells and the gear, doesnt matter if you need 5 lvls for the next kit or 20, you can balance it around minimal increases. WoW realised this hence only going up 5 lvls in the next expansion, prolongs the game and you still can add content

Balance is top yeah, agree with you. People are so focused on adding stupid **** that they forget the basics.

Euro maps again are good. The only negatives are the larger maps like rme. Just remove floor 1-3 and you're sorted, stuff like that.

And most people know how I feel about donations. They are essential but you need to keep a good donated item:dropped ratio. And not allow people to donate for more than x3 pots.

I'd make a server myself, but I reckon id get bored doing it solo and nowhere to host.

Hany

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 28, 2005
Oi Mitsos, need to have a talk with you on msn, catch me there!

Ontopic: Yeah agree!

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
im doing this thread to post couple simple ideas about mir cause im tired reading about 10 upcoming servers with weird features that make no sence and usually they either never come up or when they do they fail miserably.

1) its true u can make a good server w/o needing 2.6 files.. But most wont

2)agreed, euro clones just dont work

3)dont think i agree with this tho rly... Ppl do prefer getin lvl 100 than level 10

4)i wouldnt say they are useless, but i do agree u should work on proper drop files etc 1st

5)anything changed makes it "new"

6)supose it all depends every1 has diff views on donations so not gonan bother discusing that

in general doing simple **** like the above that recquire no coding and not even scripting could create a v n1 server.or you can keep trying to make capture-the-flag, king-of-the-hill modes or a bard class or crap like that that look nice on an advertisment but mean *** all ingame

/mitsos

1 2 3 4 5 6