So? who actually wants a stable server where they pay subs?

Join Discord

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Again people are missing the point though. I don't think Dorf is suggesting an actual p2p server like Euro was, where you HAVE to pay in order to play - he's saying that if x amount of people DONATE (yes, that's the literal sense of the term) x amount of money per month in order to fund the costs of a dedi, then there would be no need for a gameshop. Obviously this theory relies on the assumption that there is a server owner out there would be still be willing to run a server without making profits from selling items etc. Let's not get bogged down in that though, as it's by the by at the moment.

The idea being that the more people who agree to it, the less they actually have to fork out because the cost is being thinned out amongst more people.

Am I making this clear yet? Perhaps Dorf can back me up, either that or tell me I'm completely off the mark here...

By the way I am by no way "bumming" this idea, I'm merely clarifying what the OP has said because people aren't getting it themselves.

Reactions: Hone

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
If they monitored how many people played and how much the subscription cost, they could easily say "We have lost out on X amount" and could probs easily sue for the amount the server made etc (i don't know what there copyright is like so not sure weather taking subcriptions or running a server is illegal but if it was, then it wouldn't be hard for them to sue)

Summed my point up.

I am in no way saying that WeMade/GamePot will act, just saying it makes it far easier for them to act, if they wished.

DiabloDoom

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 1, 2010
There's already been plenty of Server's that have had Subscriptions and failed, when you pay £10 a month and get access to Members Area's, Titles, Minor Exp Buffs etc, but it still doesn't make a good or stable server.

Hone

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jun 10, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
No offense to anyone, but HR makes me sick.. it's really boring.. yes I;m a grinder and yes I can get lvl150 trillion, but I really dislike HR. And it seems this is being shoved down our throats.. I'm just wondering, of the community left, is anyone like me who actually craves a stable low-med rate server that they don't mind donating 5 quid a month as subs? I really enjoyed playing bluenova, unfortunately saori has decided to turn it into some mad server overnight, not really my cup of tea tbh, but, i got 15 quid a month maybe 20 going begging, and it made me think anyone else got a similar amount going begging? It would only take another 2 or 3 folks like me and hey presto, that's a dedi paid for.. I'd ideally like Hone to answer my thread, preferrably after 20 others have said they'd pay subs lol.. Anyways, am I alone.. or is this feasible?

Always nice to get a mention. My only concern is how realistic and reliable it is. One of your funders gets bored/something comes up irl/whatever and stops his share of the dedi fund, and suddenly we've got a problem...either the server then has to close for that month until someone else comes along who's willing to take his place, or one of the other donators has to step up to the mark and ends up donating twice as much.

It would all require a lot of trust between people who don't really know eachother that well.

There's already been plenty of Server's that have had Subscriptions and failed, when you pay £10 a month and get access to Members Area's, Titles, Minor Exp Buffs etc, but it still doesn't make a good or stable server.

No of course not...but it's an alternative to gameshops isn't it? Some people like paying for items, some don't, this would be for those who don't.

paul.obrien

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 28, 2008
DarkRealm has been online almost 3 years now and has offered a subs system and it works brilliantly.
Players can still play for free.

A 100% totally p2p server isn't a good idea imo as it eliminates players who are not in a position to pay.
Subs guarantees the server fees are met every month with out the need to rely on donations at all.

Last edited:

paul.obrien

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 28, 2008
and ran by you. and has silly donations like all ur servers

Pot,kettle,Black

Ruby M2 files are crap, hero's are crap, Elysian was crap, and Pob's a mong, Essence Mir will be crap as you haven't actually listened to people's main problem (pob).

When will you grow up.You don't like me.We all get the message.Move on
(Keyboard warrior)

darbo

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 27, 2005
how dare u ben this isnt me. lol i wouldnt pay 2 play mir anymore. lol

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
DarkRealm has been online almost 3 years now and has offered a subs system and it works brilliantly.
Players can still play for free.

A 100% totally p2p server isn't a good idea imo as it eliminates players who are not in a position to pay.
Subs guarantees the server fees are met every month with out the need to rely on donations at all.
darkrealms still online with 3 users, gratz

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
I really think the hole donations thing is blown out of proportion the fact that no private server back in the day ever had donations or charged to play makes me think why has this been introduced? Its not asif our home networks have been downgraded in speed? Or our computer specs have been limited, If anything everyone has a decent connection now, And a decent PC! God i remember playing TUROK on my 56pker shared connection, There was no issues it was hosted on a 2 mb cable connection i beleive, I just think a successful server could infact be hosted on a home network, Regardless of all this * we need a dedi * crap. No private server barly goes over the 100 user base mark. This meaning a dedicated server really is not needed.

People shud bare this in mind and perhaps we would have a few decent servers up, Lets face it people who have the money to fork out for a dedicated server dont have the time to run one because they are out earning thier money honestly through the books and paying tax`s. 90% of people who make servers these days are bums on the dole,

Anonlol

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
I must be in the other 10% then because I am currently sitting at work.

The difference is standards have been raised. I remember when I played, Alpha Omega I think it was, it was laggy at times, and quite unreliable from what I recall. Dedis offer no lag = better pvp and no ragequitting due to lag deaths etc.

I have hosted at home and on a dedi, at home I have to shoulder the cost of the electric plus put up with the inconvinience of having the server apps open and not being able to play other games or use my connection for other stuff. Even avoiding these activities the server still lagged.

Donations are a fact of mir, theyre a fact of ANY private server for ANY game. Go and look at wow servers for example, I for one dont understand why on earth youd play one as retail isnt exactly difficult but people spend hundreds there.