Other spec for a server box

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
Okay, currently my 30meg connection sucks between 4pm and 1 am, (students grrr!) so I'm planning on keeping my virgin media broadband (in the hope they sort it) but going to have tv from sky.. so therefore i'll have an 8 meg line free, what I was wondering was can someone spec me a box? It's just so I know how much it'd cost, the server box would then be up as a free dedi for anyone wishing to run a server. If I have two lines into my house, just wondering what hardware I'd need and what upload would i need? Cheers in advance.

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
anything above 1gb upload would be fine for a decent user base around 90-100, 512mb would suit a server of around 40 users,

core 2 duo processor 2.5ghz+

4gb would also be ok.

Upvote 0

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
anything above 1gb upload would be fine for a decent user base around 90-100, 512mb would suit a server of around 40 users,

core 2 duo processor 2.5ghz+

4gb would also be ok.

1gb upload? you mean total for the month not speed? (lol) The total for each month doesn't really concern me, more than likely I'd offer the box to peeps starting servers, which if successful would prob move to dedi's anyways, what I was concerned about was upload /download speed, and also the server box itself, what OS to use, and would it be worth me sticking a ssd in there?

Upvote 0

neo16uk

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
1gb upload? you mean total for the month not speed? (lol) The total for each month doesn't really concern me, more than likely I'd offer the box to peeps starting servers, which if successful would prob move to dedi's anyways, what I was concerned about was upload /download speed, and also the server box itself, what OS to use, and would it be worth me sticking a ssd in there?

if you meen there server specs its self i used to use my old computer as a host and it was fine specs was

Core2Duo 6750 2.8 (might but lower cant remember)

4GB ddr2 (both same brand/make)

1. SATA 40GB (WINDOWS ONLY DRIVE)
2. SATA 500+GB (DATA Dump)

GFX 512mb (some cheepy peice of crap just thought would of been must have just in case :P)

Unlces 25mb buisness connection (unlimited no band caps Download/Upload nor peak time caps)

Upvote 0