State of Crystal

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I wanted to make this post after seeing some messages throughout the last few months.
This post is my OPINION and is being written as a Mir 2 player and not a staff member, due to this I will NOT be moderating this thread and will leave moderation to other staff members.

Examples of messages I've received:

1: Far has left crystal development and therefore I don't see why I should contribute to a source with no active developers.

2: Crystal is filled with bugs after the experimental branch was merged with the master branch.

3: Far refuses to fix bugs.

4: LOMCN doesn't care about P2W servers and that's why the Mir 2 community is dying.

5: The developers of Crystal have left Crystal because they found how profitable it can be just to work on code for private sources.

The above are not copied and pasted from the messages I've received and I will not say who said each message under LOMCN's rules.

How I feel about each comment:

1: Far has left crystal development and therefore I don't see why I should contribute to a source with no active developers.

R: This message absolutely infuriates me, Crystal is an OPEN source project so I don't see what difference it makes to have 0 or 100 developers that are dedicating all their time to the source code.
We all have the ability to push updates to the repo and the attitude that "I won't push updates because Far won't" is the attitude that will truly make Crystal fall.

2: Crystal is filled with bugs after the experimental branch was merged with the master branch.

R: Crystal has a combined total of 202 total bug reports under its belt and the majority of those fixes have come from Far directly. A lot of people were upset with the new forms that were added to the Item and Monster database. This was down to them being released with some pretty major bugs and some missing content. Both the old and the new forms are still usable in some form.
There are bugs with both the old and new forms which have now been reported by Win.
Around 40 bugs were posted in the last 2 days on the repo and yet these bugs were found ages ago. Can't expect bugs to be patched if no one is reporting them.

Another issue with the bugs is that: SOME server owners that use crystal have patched these bugs without reporting the bugs and also just don't feel the need to push any fixes toward the open source.
This is usually down to "I paid money to have the bug fixed so why should I bother to release it to everyone?" And that's a very fair point but it's the same people that say that then moan about the state crystal is currently in and also moan that Far has moved away from crystal.

R: Take a look at the repo's commits ffs.
A lot does come from server owners which is great but a lot also comes from Far. When he left the development of crystal he made it clear that he would still fix major bugs.

4: LOMCN doesn't care about P2W servers and that's why the Mir 2 community is dying.

R: I like my mod position.

5: The developers of Crystal have left Crystal because they found how profitable it can be just to work on code for private sources.

R: So they're doing exactly what most Server owners have been doing for years? Patching bugs privately and profiting from it. disheartening isn't it :ROFLMAO:

To summarise (@mir2pion learn from this 😘)

Crystal is in a bad way in my opinion and I don't think Far coming back in itself will be enough to truly bring crystal back up.
I think anyone that runs a crystal server needs to step up and actually try and help strengthen the code you have based your game from, I couldn't imagine how disheartening it must be for the developers of Crystal looking at all the negativity towards bugs and updates when they are also giving their free time to try and make a game that you then can go and build on. No wonder why they all left to go do other things.

I ran a Public Crystal Test server and I received a lot of bugs from the players. The list of fixes for my database are huge in the last few months and that's all down to people contributing and reporting bugs. Guess how many players on average the server got? 5, 5 players for the first few weeks and I managed to report over 20 bugs on the open source.
Couldn't imagine how healthy the open source could be if everyone reported the bugs they found and if server owners who have fixes for bugs could push it for everyone.

We are meant to be a community, start acting like one. Help each other out.

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012

lol, not even staff want to speak out in case they get demoted/banned 😂 speaks 1000 words itself that does

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Unfortunately this community has a lot of GM after money. A lot of sellers from other countries after money. But mate there are a few of us left that do shiz for free.

I’m only still here because I like Mir and making shiz. Currently customising my own and learning to code, it’s fun and a nice hobby for me. But these changes are ones I like and too custom for adding into the source. It’s just fun to actually do it myself instead of paying for it. Quite easy to edit code what’s already there tbh, just finding the locations is the hard bit.

• Love
Reactions: Omnibus

Scampi

Banned
Banned
Mar 23, 2009
**** stain community from LOMCN admins to server owners and players.

The whole show is farcical really. For such a small community it amazes me how few actually give the slightest **** about keeping a legacy game we loved playing healthy.

Getting involved with running a server and speaking with people I otherwise wouldn't has probably made me feel like if this whole Mir2 scene were to crash and burn, not much worth losing would be lost.
Prior to getting involved, I loved the game and just wanted to play good, fun servers.

jaffar99

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 15, 2011
**** stain community from LOMCN admins to server owners and players.

The whole show is farcical really. For such a small community it amazes me how few actually give the slightest **** about keeping a legacy game we loved playing healthy.

Getting involved with running a server and speaking with people I otherwise wouldn't has probably made me feel like if this whole Mir2 scene were to crash and burn, not much worth losing would be lost.
Prior to getting involved, I loved the game and just wanted to play good, fun servers.

Tbh bud the choices of who can keep the game going are pretty slim.

I'd say the hope rests on about 10-15% of the community who actually have a brain, even then they'll be too busy with IRL stuff by now.

I'd explain about the other 85-90% of the community but it's already a given lmao

Reactions: Hercules

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Please find and share at least one comment from an admin that implies you can't discuss or comment on P2W servers without receiving some sort of "punishment" for doing so. (Which is exactly what you've implied with this statement)

This has been discussed til the cows come home publicly about what our stance is on game shops but it seems some of you are just incapable of reading and insist we go round and round in circles. The same few who think that banning 75% of servers is the solution to the longevity of this scene. Laughable. You think they wouldn't exist if we didn't let them advertise here? I'll spell it out for you with two words - discord and facebook. How could limiting the content on LOMCN and forcing people to use those other platforms even more possibly help to sustain the value of LOMCN? I only see it having the opposite effect, and that is the sole reason I won't do it.

Unfortunately we all need to accept that change is inevitible, the majority population of this community, most of whom are completely silent when it comes to discussions like this, are here for the things that 25% of us don't like. They are here for the pump and dump servers, the items they can buy, and the characters they can sell. Sorry I can't wave a wand and make it 2003 again. Quit aiming your contempt at the HANDFUL of people who give up their free time to provide this forum for you. Our role is just that. Everything else is down to you members.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Please find and share at least one comment from an admin that implies you can't discuss or comment on P2W servers without receiving some sort of "punishment" for doing so. (Which is exactly what you've implied with this statement)
🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: zedina

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Just to clarify on my response to 4:

I do not feel the need to speculate on the position LOMCN has on P2W servers, Claiming a server to be P2W is hazy with no clear line and is not something I'd like to speculate on.

I don't speak for lomcn, Always found it challenging speaking to anyone on forum or outside of the forum with people seeing me as a staff member of lomcn instead of as a player be it what i say or an opinion.

Why would I risk trying to speak on behalf of an entire staff team when my view on something may be different to anothers?

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I read the post but don't understand what is the message to me. Am I the archetype complainer about the crystal files state? Or the worst of them? Or what??

Why pick on me in particular? What did I do to deserve that? Care to enlighten me?

MasterD

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 27, 2003
From what I've seen in most server discords is that most people have very little respect for LOCMN and are only here to find out the next big thing or look at https://www.lomcn.org/forum/serverlist/.

Not my personal opinion but you are not spoken about very positively & probably why they don't want to be involved in the "community" side of things.

Reactions: Omnibus

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I read the post but don't understand what is the message to me. Am I the archetype complainer about the crystal files state? Or the worst of them? Or what??

Why pick on me in particular? What did I do to deserve that? Care to enlighten me?
You were noted after I said "To summarise" which is a little harmless jab at how long the majority of your posts are.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Why don't you set me on ignore then, you don't F have to read my post or even see them.

If I could, I'd ignore you right now.
Post automatically merged:

I wanted to make this post after seeing some messages throughout the last few months.
This post is my OPINION and is being written as a Mir 2 player and not a staff member, due to this I will NOT be moderating this thread and will leave moderation to other staff members.

Examples of messages I've received:

The above are not copied and pasted from the messages I've received and I will not say who said each message under LOMCN's rules.

How I feel about each comment:

R: This message absolutely infuriates me, Crystal is an OPEN source project so I don't see what difference it makes to have 0 or 100 developers that are dedicating all their time to the source code.
We all have the ability to push updates to the repo and the attitude that "I won't push updates because Far won't" is the attitude that will truly make Crystal fall.

R: Crystal has a combined total of 202 total bug reports under its belt and the majority of those fixes have come from Far directly. A lot of people were upset with the new forms that were added to the Item and Monster database. This was down to them being released with some pretty major bugs and some missing content. Both the old and the new forms are still usable in some form.
There are bugs with both the old and new forms which have now been reported by Win.
Around 40 bugs were posted in the last 2 days on the repo and yet these bugs were found ages ago. Can't expect bugs to be patched if no one is reporting them.

Another issue with the bugs is that: SOME server owners that use crystal have patched these bugs without reporting the bugs and also just don't feel the need to push any fixes toward the open source.
This is usually down to "I paid money to have the bug fixed so why should I bother to release it to everyone?" And that's a very fair point but it's the same people that say that then moan about the state crystal is currently in and also moan that Far has moved away from crystal.

R: Take a look at the repo's commits ffs.
A lot does come from server owners which is great but a lot also comes from Far. When he left the development of crystal he made it clear that he would still fix major bugs.

R: So they're doing exactly what most Server owners have been doing for years? Patching bugs privately and profiting from it. disheartening isn't it :ROFLMAO:

To summarise (@mir2pion learn from this 😘)

Crystal is in a bad way in my opinion and I don't think Far coming back in itself will be enough to truly bring crystal back up.
I think anyone that runs a crystal server needs to step up and actually try and help strengthen the code you have based your game from, I couldn't imagine how disheartening it must be for the developers of Crystal looking at all the negativity towards bugs and updates when they are also giving their free time to try and make a game that you then can go and build on. No wonder why they all left to go do other things.

I ran a Public Crystal Test server and I received a lot of bugs from the players. The list of fixes for my database are huge in the last few months and that's all down to people contributing and reporting bugs. Guess how many players on average the server got? 5, 5 players for the first few weeks and I managed to report over 20 bugs on the open source.
Couldn't imagine how healthy the open source could be if everyone reported the bugs they found and if server owners who have fixes for bugs could push it for everyone.

We are meant to be a community, start acting like one. Help each other out.
TLDR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Why don't you set me on ignore then, you don't F have to read my post or even see them.

If I could, I'd ignore you right now.

TLDR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
can you seriously not take a joke, don't be like that sweetie <3

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
From what I've seen in most server discords is that most people have very little respect for LOCMN and are only here to find out the next big thing or look at https://www.lomcn.org/forum/serverlist/.

Not my personal opinion but you are not spoken about very positively & probably why they don't want to be involved in the "community" side of things.

Isn't the irony here that if we went ahead and banned the aforementioned 75% of servers, they'd have even less reason to come here? The server list would be empty and the "next big thing" would probably not be allowed?? Take OldSkool for example.

I think most discord servers are full of the same faces with big mouths and chips on their shoulders who have been banned from the forum, so we have to take that with a pinch of salt anyway 🤷‍♂️

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Shut it all down and just host Crystal and Zircon. Be a shocker at first, but would create a community of helpers and engagement away from the money

Reactions: ventus

MasterD

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 27, 2003
Polarisation of the community is a massive problem. Especially GM Vs Player. I think it would be best to get rid of everything and let people fend for themselves.

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex

unfortunatly thats how i read it. it read like... well P2W sucks but i cant voice it..

the reality is totally different, its just how i read it.

P2W/CashCows have always been allowed and i dont see any reason to stop them, i think Tai has said in the past LOMCN isnt here to hold someones hand and you have the avoid tags for a reason.

if someone wants to host a massive p2w walled server and people play it they are the fools... (not aimed at any server yet, im waiting for my files to get leaked and stolen.... AGAIN)

as for the state of crystal... well there are things that are different in everyones opinions...

but for me personally, the default crystal files that are publicy updated should follow whats always been the intention, and that is to mirror official as best it can

Reactions: zedina

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I deleted my 10,000 word essay as I always go off on tangents lol.

Ultimately

This is a community forum, it helps keep the game alive and showcase peoples efforts on new servers.
We have a platform to share and discuss ideas.
If people think the public source is 'buggy' then fix it and push it to the public repo, or stop crying (It's not down to any one person or persons to maintain it)

And most importantly, the one thing that I just wish would stop....

Single people talking on behalf of a portion of the community (if these people do agree with you I am sure they will contribute to the discussion).
It's fine to have your opinion, but voice it as that.

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
I deleted my 10,000 word essay as I always go off on tangents lol.

Ultimately

This is a community forum, it helps keep the game alive and showcase peoples efforts on new servers.
We have a platform to share and discuss ideas.
If people think the public source is 'buggy' then fix it and push it to the public repo, or stop crying (It's not down to any one person or persons to maintain it)

And most importantly, the one thing that I just wish would stop....

Single people talking on behalf of a portion of the community (if these people do agree with you I am sure they will contribute to the discussion).
It's fine to have your opinion, but voice it as that.
We did voice our opinions last month. It ended in us getting laughed at by almighty dictator Tai & Win being banned for a month.

I've openly admitted that I have been lackluster in my contributions but I ain't in the lowest category of people who have released stuff. If i knew more about C# then I would be more open to pushing stuff to crystal but my abilities in C# are nowhere near to a standard that Far wants on the public repo