State of Crystal

smoochy boys on tour

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
We did voice our opinions last month. It ended in us getting laughed at by almighty dictator Tai & Win being banned for a month.
Post automatically merged:

I've openly admitted that I have been lackluster in my contributions but I ain't in the lowest category of people who have released stuff. If i knew more about C# then I would be more open to pushing stuff to crystal but my abilities in C# are nowhere near to a standard that Far wants on the public repo
I wasn't judging any one person mate. (I also don't remember this thread - but my memory is atrocious so yeah...)

I haven't contributed much to the public source, because our files are way out of sync with the public source anyway so it isn't just a simple transition.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
We did voice our opinions last month. It ended in us getting laughed at by almighty dictator Tai & Win being banned for a month.
You said delete every server apart from yours and Win's and Sanjian's.

Laughed at you then and I'm laughing at you now.

• Wow
Reactions: zedina

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Are you forgetting everything you said behind closed doors was exposed in this thread? 🤡

Didn't you say you should be the only person allowed to advertise a high rate server :D Ulterior motive much? :unsure:
Show me the proof I said that rather than giving me a link to a thread with posts from someone in a midlife crisis and 20 different personalities. It's almost like you take 99% of **** posted out of context too. Oh wait... you're too busy talking smack about your users in staff chats and taking upwards of £100 a month for doing **** all!

Hardly behind closed doors if that smackhead with more mental issues than brain cells had access to the chats. How about you own up and admit the fact that ur a washed up grandpa and your staff are more owners of this forum than you are? 🤡🤡

Listen everyone... if its not posted publicly, directly on lomcn then it's "behind closed doors"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tai

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Show me the proof I said that rather than giving me a link to a thread with posts from someone in a midlife crisis and 20 different personalities. It's almost like you take 99% of **** posted out of context too. Oh wait... you're too busy talking smack about your users in staff chats and taking upwards of £100 a month for doing **** all!

Hardly behind closed doors if that smackhead with more mental issues than brain cells had access to the chats. How about you own up and admit the fact that ur a washed up grandpa and your staff are more owners of this forum than you are? 🤡🤡

Listen everyone... if its not posted publicly, directly on lomcn then it's "behind closed doors"
How do you feel about my points 1/2/3 and 5 ?

Don’t see why people need to focus on just a single point. If this was about Lomcn vs p2w I would have made a post just about that.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
From what I've seen in most server discords is that most people have very little respect for LOCMN and are only here to find out the next big thing or look at https://www.lomcn.org/forum/serverlist/.

Not my personal opinion but you are not spoken about very positively & probably why they don't want to be involved in the "community" side of things.
Then here lies a problem with the "community".

They come here for the base server files (Made from scratch by members of this community).
They make a server and fix their own bugs, refusing to "push" these back to LOMCN for their own benefit.

Without LOMCN we would have little files to work from. Sure, there would be others floating about but Crystal wouldn't exist.

So let's discuss how we can "improve" this community and get everyone singing from the same hymn sheet and pushing out fixes to the master files.
I can give you the answer to above... It's not going to happen due to the 90% greed of our "community". But I'm more than happy to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on how we can do things better. But I want proper reasoning not just "Ban P2W servers".
PS. Nearly ever game out there currently has some sort of P2W aspect these days. Whether that be directly (Their own Gameshop style feature) or third party sellers.

We don't force you to play these servers, what use would a "We ban this server from advertising because it has P2W Elements" be? Players make that choice to play, that choice to pump stupid amounts of £'s in the first few weeks, to play it 24/7 or pay for a leveller to keep them ahead of the pack.

• How do we get this community back together, working together to improve the files?
  • How should we "Police" servers? Serious answers please on what we can do.
  • Any rules that need changing?
  • Who is actively or actively willing to report bugs in the crystal files?
  • Who is willing to help iron out these bugs?

PS. Massive kick in the teeth to @Far - The work and effort he and the other have put it. To them be "blamed" for the greed of others not willing to give back to the community. Surprised these guys have even made the files this far to be honest.
I remember back to our MSRF days, hundreds of people asking for help and loads of us pitching in to help out.
Loads of us finding new stuff and releasing them straight away to the public.

Last edited:

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
PS. Massive kick in the teeth to @Far - The work and effort he and the other have put it. To them be "blamed" for the greed of others not willing to give back to the community. Surprised these guys have even made the files this far to be honest.
I remember back to our MSRF days, hundreds of people asking for help and loads of us pitching in to help out.
Loads of us finding new stuff and releasing them straight away to the public.
Couldn't be said better than this.
Without @Far being serious and keeping Crystal clean and bugfree as possible, Crystal wouldn't be in its current place.

@Lilcooldoode is awesome too, but Far stood for Crystal for years and kept it going, releasing patches with cool features that always brought back attention to the scene.

Reactions: Lose

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
  • How do we get this community back together, working together to improve the files?
    • IMO The files are at a great place for people to build thier own server, even more so now @Jev has a pre build database for people, the problem is this is a toxic community and i dont think that will ever change unfortunatly. 90% of people are out for themselves and have no interest in supporting the open source of crystal.
    • See Below
    • (Same record I've been spinning for years) I think its disgusting that someone can take something a user has done and be ripped up, decompiled, and used and allowed to be advertised with no original credit, permission or thought for the original creator and used purposly to promote themselves. I think LOMCN's rule on allowing clients to be stolen/ripped is disheartening, yes i keep going on about this but it is heartbreaking to spend years of your time on designs, to have other people (you know who im talking about you if your reading this) take it... and not only use it, but also claim it as thier own!

I believe LOMCN should have a rule that forbids the use of others material without permission. The argument of "Well we all steal form everyone" is utter bollocks, or "well we steal from the chinese" so its okay to do it here is a cop out. Half the reason I dont like doing work anymore is knowing its okay to steal it and use if for themselves.

Im not talking about assets aquired from TaoBao as we can all have access to them, im talking about a persons own designs.

This needs to be changed for any security for server creators in the future, in my opinion.
    • Not many people, most have other things going on. You also have other peopls visions of what is or isnt a bug, a perfect example is the attackspeed commit that KEPT getting pushed because 1 person felt it was wrong, to the point i think there was even a poll.... for 1 persons opinion on how it should be??
    • I have in the past done some bits for crystal, always will when i can, but no server owner/creator has the time to work on thier own server aswell as the default source.

Reactions: Skyline and zedina

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
I would just like to say that if anyone thinks Banshee has a fixed bug that I never got round to pushing to the main repo (I don’t really understand how it all works and do everything manually) please ask and I’ll share if I can. When banshee launched there were quite a few crashes that @Sanjian saved the day with and at the time it was so manic the last thing I was worrying about was logging and reporting. I’m pretty certain most have since been fixed and added to main.

Reactions: Sanjian

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Golden Oldie
May 10, 2009
County Durham
I hate to say it but I genuinely think the only thing that is going to start getting people to start chipping in again and pushing updates/fixes is by the files being left in their current state (although a very good state). Once updates, fixes and assistance stop coming when people ask for it then people are going to realise how important it is to band together as a community on a project.

People will soon get sick of pulling money out their arse to pay for devs to fix stuff, especially if that money is wasted and their servers don't materialise or do as well as they once hoped.

I think one of the main things stopping people helping with fixes and updates/features these days is that no one wants to release stuff to their competitors or potential competitors. My two pence on this though is that you can fix, implement whatever you want but unless you make that server appealing, keep the attention and provide regular updates/liaise with your players you'll struggle to keep players hooked.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
    • (Same record I've been spinning for years) I think its disgusting that someone can take something a user has done and be ripped up, decompiled, and used and allowed to be advertised with no original credit, permission or thought for the original creator and used purposly to promote themselves. I think LOMCN's rule on allowing clients to be stolen/ripped is disheartening, yes i keep going on about this but it is heartbreaking to spend years of your time on designs, to have other people (you know who im talking about you if your reading this) take it... and not only use it, but also claim it as thier own!

I believe LOMCN should have a rule that forbids the use of others material without permission. The argument of "Well we all steal form everyone" is utter bollocks, or "well we steal from the chinese" so its okay to do it here is a cop out. Half the reason I dont like doing work anymore is knowing its okay to steal it and use if for themselves.

Im not talking about assets aquired from TaoBao as we can all have access to them, im talking about a persons own designs.

This needs to be changed for any security for server creators in the future, in my opinion.

Can you give some examples of what material you're talking about?

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
ive given plenty, and even spoken in private about this, you can easily see my history in private channel

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
ive given plenty, and even spoken in private about this, you can easily see my history in private channel
what if someone rips it... put it on TaoBao and someone else buys it?

o_O

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
then it shouldnt be allowed to be advertised here if the original creator can prove its thier work....
I m not trying to troll you or insult your work.

However, I do believe, that all mir clients been decompiled including libs at some point and contents been put for sale on chinese websites.

For example, I go buy a monster pack with nice shadows on it, how do I know its yours?

Beside the UI which is custom and I like it ;) 🍵

Reactions: Sanjian

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
I m not trying to troll you or insult your work.

However, I do believe, that all mir clients been decompiled including libs at some point and contents been put for sale on chinese websites.

For example, I go buy a monster pack with nice shadows on it, how do I know its yours?

Beside the UI which is custom and I like it ;) 🍵
yeah i get it, this isnt about the monsters or the maps, all of which can be bough which is why i said, things that cant be bought on taobao but generally work people have clearly stolen and used without permission, thats my gripe and that will never change.

do i feel the need to contribute back to LOMCN? not anymore, when i host a server and it makes more than the servers cost, the first thing i do is advertise here, not because i was an ad but because it generates money for this place, i payed tai to design an ad for me... not because i couldnt but felt it was worth the money to invest in the work of others.

this is my only source for mir2 information, other places probably exist but i dont go there

Reactions: zedina

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
yeah i get it, this isnt about the monsters or the maps, all of which can be bough which is why i said, things that cant be bought on taobao but generally work people have clearly stolen and used without permission, thats my gripe and that will never change.

do i feel the need to contribute back to LOMCN? not anymore, when i host a server and it makes more than the servers cost, the first thing i do is advertise here, not because i was an ad but because it generates money for this place, i payed tai to design an ad for me... not because i couldnt but felt it was worth the money to invest in the work of others.

this is my only source for mir2 information, other places probably exist but i dont go there
I understand your points tbh, I think I remember when someone took your NPCs you made for the Crafting Table etc.
That case indeed was something unique made by you but, what if it really was on a 3rd party chinese website?

Also I understand your concern, even with encryption, ppls took stuff from ZenX client.