Tips for people starting new servers... ?

Join Discord

OoOoOo24

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 30, 2005
Wales~Cardiff
So I had a thought... maybe all off the current and past server owners could give tips to people who are thinking of making a server themselves. I guess this could be a good thing to let people know just what to look out for and to maybe raise the quality of new servers coming out?

Personally, I made a server recently (ish) and gave up pretty quickly due to unforseen circumstances.

My advice (This is just off the top of my head) would be :

◘ If you think you've got enough content - then you probably haven't. Make sure you have LOADS of content because I underestimated how much mir players actually play Mir.
◘ Try not to cater to every single persons needs. It's fine to sort out genuine issues with your server, but try to realize the line between sorting stuff for the server, and just trying to please everybody. --- (I realized when I was making the server that I was trying to deliver to every single persons needs... forgetting just how fussy Mir players can be. Every single player has a different idea or opinion of what they think a server should be like... when they don't realize that they are playing a new server that isn't meant to be anything like any other.
◘ Try to use new and *out of the box* ideas
◘ As above, try to make it a new experience, rather than just resurrecting a new server which has all of the basic Mir stuff that everybody has played for years. Even if it's just renaming maps and changing the monsters and spawns this makes the game feel a lot different.
◘ If you want to take it seriously try to find more people to work with, because it is a stressful and time consuming job to make a new, decent server with little to no bugs.

And just while on the subject : A tip or message to players, rather than server owners. : Don't be to harsh and demanding, if you have never opened a server you have no idea just how much time, effort and work goes into this, which is really horrible if all you get it negative feedback saying how you think how the server should be. Try to make your complaints a little more constructive and pleasant... rather than just hurling abuse at the owner because things aren't going your way.

I made this thread so server owners could add their own two cents and say recommend some tips to new server owners. I think this could eventually help reduce the amount of bad / pointless servers being released.

Comments? :)

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Couldn't agree more, some great points there.

I'll add; if you want your server to be successful, put the time and effort into making a decent advertisement and spreading the word as much as possible. Nothing puts people off a server more than a terrible advertisement post filled with little or no information.

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
  • Don't announce things too soon (sam knows this too well :P)
  • Don't give in to players demands, If your servers not ready don't launch.
  • Prepare new content in advance before launch (allows you to keep ahead with new content releases) if you intend to release new content every 3 months, it gives you up to 6 months to prepare your second content release.
  • Take criticism with a pinch of salt.
  • Advertise your server, spend time in preparing your advert (a picture is worth a thousand words) make people aware of a launch date and time and what your server is about. there is also many forms of free advertising out there via social media.
  • Don't get stressed if something goes wrong, it isn't the end of the world.
  • Enjoy what your doing. if it becomes a chore and your heart isn't in it anymore it shows.

Last edited:

OoOoOo24

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 30, 2005
Wales~Cardiff
  • Enjoy what your doing. if it becomes a chore and your heart isn't in it anymore it shows.

This is so true. This is probably the biggest reason I stopped. I was having so much fun making the server before I put it online, and then as soon as it became a chore I just lost the motivation. This could tie in with make sure you have enough content - take advantage of the motivation and fun you have before you put it up to make a load of content :)

Think I'll update the main post with other peoples points too. Could be a cool little list