Toshiba External 1TB HDD detection problem

Join Discord

Skirky

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 6, 2013
Hey,

Im having an issue with my external HDD not being detected, It was working fine up until I started watching a film from the HDD when it was plugged into my Samsung TV which i have done hundreds of times. However the film was jumping and stuttering and when i tried to press back the HDD disconnected itself.

Ever since this happened whenever I plug it into my laptop it isnt recognised in windows explorer or disk management. But it is recognized sometimes when I try to safely remove the device and also in device manager it shows up as mass storage device (Sometimes with a yellow marker next to it but not always). When it does have the marker it it says something like code 10 error 'device cannot start'.

I have tried several times to update/uninstall the HDD and driver with no success. I've looked in disk management to try and assign it a drive letter but it just does not show up. Usually been able to fix these problems myself but this one has stumped me.

Tried many of the things listed from searches done for problems similar to mine, although they all seem to say the same thing try uninstalling and restarting or look in disk management. Tried a different HDD which is USB 2.0 so has a different cable for the one i am having problems with and this worked fine so im guessing it deffo the HDD that is the problem.

I am on Windows 8.1 > Sony Vaio Laptop > 64 bit. Any idea would be much appreciated as the HDD has loads of films and it would be a ballache to download all again. If worse comes to worse though I would format it although im not even quite sure how to do this on a device i cannot connect to.

Apologies for the long message I just wanted to explain it properly.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I find that its usually the interface between the hard drive and the USB port that's what goes wrong with external hard drives.

If its not under warranty I might recommend (as a last resort to get your data) to remove it from its case, and connect it as an internal drive (or another SATA2 to USB connector if you have one)

I've had many external drives go on me in the past, and this was always the fault. When buying external drives I now make sure I have access to the raw SATA port directly (Seagate are very good for these) so I never get this issue.

If this fixes the issue (I'm confident it will tbh) then just have a £15 external casing and you're good to go again :)

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
I once got a WD Elements I think it was called, used it for 3-4 days and it started failing, didn't show on comp ever, didn't show up in disk management, took it back an got my money back.
Got a Seagate 2TB instead, never buying WD again.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I once got a WD Elements I think it was called, used it for 3-4 days and it started failing, didn't show on comp ever, didn't show up in disk management, took it back an got my money back.
Got a Seagate 2TB instead, never buying WD again.

I've had a WD Passport (250gb) for about 6 years and it has never let me down! And it has literally been around the world with me ^_^

Skirky

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 6, 2013
This Toshiba has been working sound since I bought it about 2 years ago (ish) was working perfectly infact about 10 mins before I decided to watch a film, I'm assuming the disconnect manage to mess up the driver somehow. Ordered a new cable for £3 just to rule out that aswell before doing anything else. If nothing else works think I'm gunna bite the bullet and format it (if I can).