Aion Goes F2P

Join Discord

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
This is for Europe only at the moment. Takes action on 12 Feb 2012.

There's good news for all Daevas and those who wish to become one: from February 2012, Aion will be switching to a free-to-play model. The monthly subscriptions will be dropped and the basic game content will be available to you for free from the start. Additionally, we will be offering special packs that offer you further liberties: for example, opening your own store and collecting an unlimited daily amount of aether and essences.
The existing players have special reason to be happy - they will be rewarded for their loyalty and can look forward to bonuses! More information on this can be found in the 'Free-to-Play Model' section.

At the same time as the switch to free-to-play comes a change in publisher. In Gameforge, NCsoft has a strong partner at its side in order to further develop and constantly improve Aion. The Gameforge team will not only be responsible for the new servers but will also take on responsibility for the operation and support of the game. We are always open to questions, suggestions and criticism, with the aim that we can mould Aion to incorporate your wishes.

You can find answers to many new features and any questions you may have in the FAQ. Information on many different topics has been gathered there with the hope of clearing any doubts you may have. If you have any questions that aren't answered, or should your expectations have not quite been met, you are more than welcome to send us an email to [email protected]. Our support team will get back to you as soon as possible.

New Website for Aion F2P
Aion - Gameforge F2P

Shocked tbh, never expected that, Also they are adding new servers along with the existing ones so could be a good time to start.

Last edited:

Vagrant

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2004
Romania
it isnt really F2P, you have alot of restrictions if you are playing free, so its kinda crap tbh, read something about it that gold or premium accounts or w/e dont have dungeon restrictions,pvp restrictions

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Lineage 2 has just gone F2P too. Went to play it yesterday but the servers are so damned crowded i couldn't play without lag.

I like that theres more mmo games going f2p, but i cant help but think their development would slow down without a steady income. obviously the ingame stores always bring in money, but is it really as much as £10 p/m from every player?

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
it isnt really F2P, you have alot of restrictions if you are playing free, so its kinda crap tbh, read something about it that gold or premium accounts or w/e dont have dungeon restrictions,pvp restrictions

Well yer of course they have restrictions, but that won't last long and it never does.
Edit: The only reason for gold packages is for Bots, if you buy it all you get is shorter waiting times in places. It also stats that every bit of Aions content will be free. So if you say shorter waiting times and probably some exp boosts here and there is a big restriction then you need to look at other games that have gone f2p. I remeber one that blocked f2p users from using auction house.

F2P games are just more appealing to people these days, new P2P titles these days don't give trails like they use too and the last thing someone wants to do is spend money on a game then buy a month playing time just to find out it's not to there liking.

Cash shop makes more money then a £10 p/m sub game but you also got to include game purchases also so am not sure, if a game has been out for atleast a year then cash shop would dominate if the game has the player base imo. £10 in Cash shop is nothing these days, people spend over £50-70 a week in some cases or even more.
I don't know much about Lineage 2 but as they gone f2p and the servers are crowded you can see it's probably doing better then it has for years and i can only see other P2P titles doing this now.

Last edited:

Vagrant

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2004
Romania
I agree with Sanity, Farphit, a game like liange 2 going F2P, 100% they get alot more money now than they did before, and im sure Aion will make more money like before that was the idea of going Free 2 Play, also imagine a game like World Of Warcraft going F2P, i mean in few days all servers would be FULL of players

Cba2KillU

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
me and my wife gonna start playing again as i got banned b4 for gold buying. so gonna start fresh?

what are the usercounts like on english servers. as it been wiped?
if not as alot of ppl started fresh

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
NcSoft servers are still there but there is a new server for new players. I cba going back tbh, not with a cash shop anyway.

Transfered my account a while back, level 52 ranger with full fenris gear, might give it away.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
didnt like it first time round , deffo wont with a cash shop.

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Mar 12, 2005
I didn't know you kept characters, I got told you kept account but all data was deleted from them everyone started a fresh.

Cba2KillU

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
so what side you playing ill prb go asma with my wife as elyos or w.e look gay ( well there armour)

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
I didn't know you kept characters, I got told you kept account but all data was deleted from them everyone started a fresh.

Nah all servers have been moved over and a new server added for new players. You can't transfer you character over to the new server though.

Expect Ely to rule the new server btw, they always do.

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
Installing again, see what it's like. You all on the new server? if so what race did you go?.

Ilsta

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 20, 2012
I played all day yesturday didn't log out or anything but went afk for while and got disconnected, tried re logging in and my character hasn't saved so will have to start again :( even though it won't let me use that name again so not played it today but will make a start at some point tonight, is this a problem and you have to save your character? anyways i quite enjoyed it i must say.

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
F2P, looks like il be having a gander at that ... Never really enjoyed paying for no updates -.-

Cba2KillU

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
3.0 is ment to be coming in summer with mounts and allsortes of stuff nexus server is packed norm have to wait a hour to get on.

Demonolith

Caswell
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2006
Swansea
I play on the nexus realm, level 19 now, made my first mill enjoying alot, the cash shop isnt that game changing and people are selling the gold membership for 4-5mill everywhere lol, join me and we can maybe get a guild going.

/Jihntao | Nexus | ELYOS (faster and easier levelling)

Also, its coming in Spring (3.0)

I played all day yesturday didn't log out or anything but went afk for while and got disconnected, tried re logging in and my character hasn't saved so will have to start again :( even though it won't let me use that name again so not played it today but will make a start at some point tonight, is this a problem and you have to save your character? anyways i quite enjoyed it i must say.

Open a ticket, should sort it pretty fast and no, you dont have to save the character, its automatic.

Last edited:

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
Hmm used to play aion when it first came out, no idea what server or characters i had anymore lmao, just re-installed so when I log onto my account will see if i'm on the same server as any of you folk :)

/Czeldabolg