Car Insurance

smoochy boys on tour

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Just wondering if anybody knows any good & cheap car insurance websites actually worth visiting?
I'm 18 years old and I can't seem to get any cheaper quotes than £2,800 (for a damn smartcar)

Even corsa's, punto's, clio's and more seem to be asking 6/7/8/9/10 grand from me (which I refuse to pay)

Any tips at all would be great,
cheers
/Tom

Primal

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jun 28, 2004
Tips:
1) add people over 40 and under 60 with no points, and held license for years
2) try geting quote with vehicle parked on street, sometimes rates higher for garage + drive
3) live in cornwall, dirt cheap there lol - try rating from vehicle being kept at TR13 0QA u'll see wot i mean
4) dont try fronted risk (going on ur mum dads insurance) some reason cheaper for them to go on yours now
5) dont put that you'll do 1k miles a year, it isnt the cheapest group, doesnt work like the more miles u do the more likely you'll crash, the mileage you do is put in groups, and doing 1k miles a year means your a less experienced driver as u dont drive alot

You'll find Admiral/Elephant/Bell will be the cheapest for u at the min.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
try andrew yule. i got quoted over £1500 from everyone, but they offered me it for £700 with 6 months free. been with em 2 and half years now.

Bishumin

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 10, 2005
i was quoted around £2,000 from most insurers, but i found co-op was rediculously cheaper than all others, went with them as named driver with my dad as main driver, as named driver i earn no claims with them also :) they quoted me £850 compaired with over double from others. hope they might be good for you too.

steve

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 20, 2005
Reading
this is my second year with co-op first year was about £1050 this year was £999
just me no other drivers, i'm 25

Bishumin

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 10, 2005
my 2nd year just started with them also, went down by about £50.
turn 25 in sept so gna ave to check with em again, seeing as i wont be classed as a "young" driver no more

DiabloDoom

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 1, 2010
Went with direct line first year and was paying £2100 a year on a new fiesta.

3rd year went with Admiral on a 30 Grand BMW and i'm paying £1500 at 21, be the main driver and add one of your parents as a named driver, you also get a massive discount paying in full with Admiral.

Nightrider

~{GoD}~
VIP
Feb 21, 2004
Southampton,Uk
Just wondering if anybody knows any good & cheap car insurance websites actually worth visiting?
I'm 18 years old and I can't seem to get any cheaper quotes than £2,800 (for a damn smartcar)

Even corsa's, punto's, clio's and more seem to be asking 6/7/8/9/10 grand from me (which I refuse to pay)

Any tips at all would be great,
cheers
/Tom

I'll be able to tell you why you won't be able to insure a smart car, as i found out when i brought mine not knowing, there mercedes, Managed to get my insurance for £800 on my VTR with 0 NCB i'm 20 btw,
-Dan

lozmuir

Former Moderator
VIP
Apr 17, 2003
Congleton, Cheshire.
Elephant/Admiral were always the cheapest for me when I had the Focus RS.

I get quotes for about 500-600quid now for most smaller cars. (Swift)

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Trying to get insurance on a T reg 206 1.6 GLX (out of necessity, not choice) ****ING NIGHTMARE! 22, had license 5yrs with 0 ncb -__- I haven't been driving for a few months so it expired, not happy about that but tough ****.

Couple of months ago I got a quote with admiral for £700 odd with me as main and 2 named drivers, went back to the website the next day and the quote had dissapeared, so rang them up for a new one. They said they couldn't find the quote how convenient, then went on to say that they couldn't insure one of my named drivers cos of one of their convictions (went through on the website fine originally, ever since then it doesn't) anyway basically the quote went up to about £1200 and today most of the quotes are coming out at £1500 (up front prices btw, not monthly). Ridiculous. Helllllppppppp

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
orlov.png

Or DirectLine... Not found on comparison sites...

Or do what I do when I want something my way.

Ring them up, Say you was quoted such amount, when they say they cant find the quote, Kick off. Say something like "youve messed me around for the past 4 days now, and now your saying i cant have that quote, Either put your manager on the phone or sort it yourself, either way Im not dealing with this anymore...." Usually has them pre pooing and fighting to keep you as a potential client.

Might not work with it being Car Insurance and the generation were in atm, but its worth a try.

Or give me your details and their number and ill do it :)

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Direct Line gave me an even worse price. Haven't tried compare the market but I been on gocompare can't be that much difference surely.

That's exactly what I would have done at the time, but it was 2 months ago. When I phoned them up the lying ***** said she'd get on to the department which keeps track of every quote ever and then call me back next day. Never did. So I was just like fk em and gave up.

Someone give me better advice than Prai!!!

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Im not a driver myself, But there are ways to lower it by removing unnecessary cover such as fire and theft or vice versa etc.

Have a play round and only put it the absolute necessities and see what that brings up.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Prai I been driving 5 years I know what to put down lol, I just need like a specific company to try out. I'm always reading ppl saying they have insurance under a grand on similar cars, or 1500 for something insanely better, etc.

mapadale

Trying to get insurance on a T reg 206 1.6 GLX (out of necessity, not choice) ****ING NIGHTMARE! 22, had license 5yrs with 0 ncb -__- I haven't been driving for a few months so it expired, not happy about that but tough ****.

Couple of months ago I got a quote with admiral for £700 odd with me as main and 2 named drivers, went back to the website the next day and the quote had dissapeared, so rang them up for a new one. They said they couldn't find the quote how convenient, then went on to say that they couldn't insure one of my named drivers cos of one of their convictions (went through on the website fine originally, ever since then it doesn't) anyway basically the quote went up to about £1200 and today most of the quotes are coming out at £1500 (up front prices btw, not monthly). Ridiculous. Helllllppppppp
Tai bit confused about the bit in red, are you saying your NCB has expired, reason I ask is your NCB is valid for 2 years.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Yeah someone told me they expire after something like 28 days if you're not driving/being insured.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

60 days*

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Err... That can't be right, surely?

28 days? Seems a little short.

Tried Swift Cover? They seem to be the best for everyone at the moment.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Even 60 days seems low to me.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Ring Aviva, Blag a quote from say Churchill and see if they'll beat it.

Also done some browsing and it seems NCB's expire after 2 years... It differs with companies but the minimal looks like its 2years.

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
hmm yeah after searching it looks like 2 years is the norm. I've lost my friggin certificate now though so can't even check, gonna have to ring them up tomorrow to see if they'll issue me another one, I'll also ask about it then.

I'll try swift cover now thanks