Rate your isp

smoochy boys on tour

Netskee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 17, 2013
Loughborough, UK
Looking to move away from virgin media as it keeps dropping out randomly. Contracts up so was wondering who to switch to.
Who do you use? Would you recommend them? Who to avoid?

Thanks

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
I'm moving from Virgin Fibre to Sky Fibre on Friday, will let you know how that turns out. (Moving TV package too so works out cheaper to keep together)

Personally never had an issue with Virgins broadband its self, however the router provided is shocking - always dropping wifi connections, been flawless since using my own router/WiFi solution.

Curious - Do you use wired or wireless?

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I am currently with Sky (FTTC) as well as their TV Package.
- new build home

Not had any issues - been with them just over a year, low latency (about 20ms wired - through a homeplug/switch & 32 wireless) decent UL/DL.

Wireless floods the house - I am sure someone said that the Sky Boxes act as wireless repeaters.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
I'm moving from Virgin Fibre to Sky Fibre on Friday, will let you know how that turns out. (Moving TV package too so works out cheaper to keep together)

Personally never had an issue with Virgins broadband its self, however the router provided is shocking - always dropping wifi connections, been flawless since using my own router/WiFi solution.

sky fibre max...does not do what it says on the tin. Drops every now and then maybe once every couple of days. Got mates on BT they say it’s brilliant. They just don’t offer the fast BT at my address yet so I’m waiting.

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
sky fibre max...does not do what it says on the tin. Drops every now and then maybe once every couple of days. Got mates on BT they say it’s brilliant. They just don’t offer the fast BT at my address yet so I’m waiting.

Interesting.. BT Openreach have only recently rolled out fibre in my area, so i'm a little nervous of its reliability; least the contention ratio will be low lol.

My boss has fibre to the premises at him home with BT (300MB) and he said it's brilliant.. Also He rates router provided as excellent. (Hes our Group Head of Technology)

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
Currently with Sky (TV and Broadband), not fibre as it isn't available in my area.

Speeds are good but internet has the tendency to drop every now and then - whether that is the wifi or the internet connection I am unsure.

Support are always quick to answer but not always quick to act.

Hope it helps.

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
im with sky fiber

the wifi isnt that great but wired i dont get any issues, i can run a server with 12+ players at times and still play things like odyssey which have drm. ive even played rocketleague and vermintide 2 online while running the server with netflix running.

when steam decides to update is about the only time the server lags slightly

the only ballache is every now and then (say once a month) i reboot my router to get a new ip as sony seems to ban them so i cant logon to psn

Netskee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 17, 2013
Loughborough, UK

Been looking at doing the same but wanted to hear other opinions. I use wireless for my laptop but everything else is wired (bar phones obviously)
What router do you have? Have been thinking maybe I should buy a decent 1

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
Been looking at doing the same but wanted to hear other opinions. I use wireless for my laptop but everything else is wired (bar phones obviously)
What router do you have? Have been thinking maybe I should buy a decent 1

My routers pretty old now, got it from cash converters for £2.50 (Faulty power adapter! should have easily been £100 at the time :loyal: lol)

Asus RT-66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

Depending on Sky's WiFi i may still use it!! I believe Sky Q boxes are supposed to repeat/mesh wifi, so my additional box is going to be installed 50 feet away from the router on the other side of the house through 3 brick walls; my aim is to get Sky to give me a free booster or two to get the signal that far hah. (Not telling them I have a CAT5e run to that room lol)

Edit - first review on that router on Amazon says it all:

assa.PNG

VM Routers are crap lol, get a decent one :P

Last edited:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I'm with Virgin and have had no problems what so ever.

Always fast speeds, no drop outs, nothing.

I use m ylaptop wifi and PS4 wifi and never had an issue. That's with their standard Super Hub

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
BT Infinity package at home & BT Business at work.

Rarely drops out speeds are great and never had problems with wi-fi, router is great but can actually be replaced with your own one if you so choose to. I ditched VM as soon as I could, they are atrocious for me, I've heard good and bad things depending on where you are with VM but it just wasn't for me. Make sure if you do go for BT you get the Infinity package that has unlimited usage, unlike Virgin who will still cap you if you over-use during "peak-hours", you won't ever be capped. Great if you're a fiend of streaming, torrenting, d/ling etc.

I will say this, if you ever want to stream i.e via Twitch or console, do not go Virgin. Ever. You get capped almost instantly.

Last edited:

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
Ok so bt or sky then. I guess the deciding factor will be the tv package and price then

Pretty sure you'll get a cheaper price with for Fibre with SKY, but their TV package is more expensive but does have more content afaik. I've just moved over to Vodafone Fibre and regret it massively, especially since BT has just rolled out GFast in my area, meaning i can get around 150mb and 30mb through BT. If SKY take up GFast which i believe they are, when my contract is up i'll move back to them.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
moved away from Virgin about 6 years ago, and totally regret not doing it sooner, line quality for me is just overall better, I use my own Modem/router too Netgear D6400, which is probably due an upgrade, but still works perfectly fine!

Now currently with Vodafone, as I managed to get it for £25/mo, top package is 80/20 and i sync at

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 79999 kbps 19999 kbps

wish they would remove the limit, and let me sync at what is capable of my line ;)

Also got a static IP ;)

7761966355.png

Last edited:

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
moved away from Virgin about 6 years ago, and totally regret not doing it sooner, line quality for me is just overall better, I use my own Modem/router too Netgear D6400, which is probably due an upgrade, but still works perfectly fine!

Now currently with Vodafone, as I managed to get it for £25/mo, top package is 80/20 and i sync at

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 79999 kbps 19999 kbps

wish they would remove the limit, and let me sync at what is capable of my line ;)

Also got a static IP ;)

7761966355.png

Why did you move away from Sky? Price or Performance? (PS In your signature the Sky bench is better, cant beat 0ms lmao)

Didn't realise Voda was doing fixed lines for residential :x Intresting.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Why did you move away from Sky? Price or Performance? (PS In your signature the Sky bench is better, cant beat 0ms lmao)

Didn't realise Voda was doing fixed lines for residential: x Intresting.

Price mainly, not really hardcore gaming any more, and I orignally had sky fibre pro with static ip for £25 they got rid of this package for the max package, an kept the £25 price without the static ( don't reallly need it, just nice to have ) but 2 years on they couldn't honor the price, so swapped over to Vodafone, and it feels the same tbh.. highly recommend getting your own modem/router.

I'd happly pay £100/mo for 1gbps (not via virgin though) ;) UK seems so far behind internet wise...

And yeah the 0ms is good but was taken on install day in my new place at the time lol

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
My Sky contract comes up in just over a month, going to look around.
Is it easy to get a static IP on a home connection? (is it a one off or monthly charge?)
- as we provide statics to business connections for a one off cost.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
My Sky contract comes up in just over a month, going to look around.
Is it easy to get a static IP on a home connection? (is it a one off or monthly charge?)
- as we provide statics to business connections for a one off cost.

use cable.co.uk to find the best deal ( don't actually buy it from here or click the links), then use quidco to get some money back ;)

all my static IP's with Sky/Vodafone have been free